G

Hi all. I have recently purchased a Celeron 1GHz as a replacement for the Celeron 533 which I had thought had gone bad (i.e. system locks up, monitor goes blank, must pull power to reset). Unfortunately I'm still having this problem even with the new Celeron and I'm wondering if anyone here might have some insight as to what could be causing this? I should note that I'm not overclocking anything at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A lot of things can cause those symptoms... Can you be more specific? Does it run for a while then lock up, or does it never get started? What OS are you running? What's the rest of the configuration of your system, etc..

Scout

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Was this a one-time thing or is it happening constantly? When does it happen?

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

How long it takes before locking up is pretty sporatic. Sometimes it takes several minutes, others it happens rather quickly but overall it never seems to last longer than about 5 minutes. Because of it having locked up I'm having to do a filesystem check but unfortunately I can never get it to stay up long enough to finish it.

My OS is Debian Linux. The motherboard is an ABIT BE6-II. I have 512Mb of memory. 9Gb SCSI. Voodoo3 vid card.

I've been monitoring the PC Health Status in the BIOS and specifically the CPU Temperature and it never seems to get above about 35 degrees Celcius.

G

Its constant. If I didn't have to do a filesystem check then I probably would never be able to boot completely into Linux before it locks up.

I should also note that as soon as it locks up and I pull the power I can never immediately start it back up. I generally have to wait for several minutes before it will come back up.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I don't know anythign abotu Linux....but it could be a Video Card issue, video card could be heating up to much I had that problem with a voodoo card b4 too.......and if not that it could be a vide card driver issue........its worth a try......i dont know if there soem kind of safe mode or reference driver for a voodoo 3 in Linux like runnign it as a basic PCI Adpater....see if ti does ANYTHIGN different...if ti does its the driver if it doesnt...than hopefulyl all u need is soem kind of new HSF onm ur Video Card......could also be voltages could it not be ? well check it out..

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Well it defiently soudns like a Voltage/Power Supply problem than...you habe any other ATX PSU kickin' around ?? try one, or id not go pick up a nice 350 or 431 Enermax PSU there pretty cheap and EXTREMELY GOOD....ask anyone around....its worth it just for future anyways, even if its not the problem, but it sounds liek PSU, when ti gets soem kind of demand for power it locks up....that woudl explian why u lose video sometimes......

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

G

Well, I also have a cheap video card that I tried and the same thing happened.

G

Unfortunately I only have the one PSU that is in the box. Its a Deer Computer Co., Ltd. Model DR250-ATX. I suppose I could try another PSU. That and the motherboard are just about the only things I haven't tried replacing.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
If the board was really faulty i dontt hink it would be doign what its doing......
BUT the PSU ont he other hand, its worth an upgrade anyways, its a 250 model which is sufficiant for u btu it saves ya from grabbign ti later on when u do eventually upgrade that board if ever..let aloen it will prolyl fix the problem...give it a shot......ya never know =)

-MeTaL RoCkEr

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Having to wait a few minutes to start back up is a sign of psu trouble, it may be on the verge of failure, that is where I would focus on.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Yeah, PSU problem. 300-350W is good. Only about 60 bucks to replace it with a whisper PSU, or if you're cheap you can get them for a lot less.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
This is actually something I see Abit BX boards do a lot--they reach a point where they just start to get more and more flaky until they die. They'll start having frequent crashes and lockups, then eventually take longer and longer to boot up. Eventually there comes a time when they don't always boot, and then finally never boot again. I'm still not sure why this is so common with Abit BX boards...

My best advice would be to get yourself an EPoX or ASUS motherboard. Chances are everything but the motherboard is still good.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>I'm still not sure why this is so common with Abit BX boards...

Bx boards are the most reliable, stable and easy to setup boards out there.

>This is actully something I see Abit BX boards do a lot--they reach a point where they just start to get more and more flaky until they die.

how many Abit BX boards died under your care?

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I dont think he was commenting on bx boards melt, only ABIT boards.

I personally will only run abit, its my fav mobo company, however I have never ran a pentium abit board, so I cant comment on their stability.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~