Sign in with
Your question

Slow Boot

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2001 4:04:10 PM

Looking for some help concerning a slow boot up problem that I have been experiencing since I built this system(a year ago).My system configuration (sorry if its a little lengthy) is noted at the bottom of this post.

It takes approx 3 minutes for this system to boot up. I have not overclocked it, and the system runs great. Cooling is taken care of by a fop32-1 Global Wind.

When putting together the info (system configuration info for this post), I noticed that in my Network Information (under System Information) there are duplicate copies. For instance the "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" has 12 identical entries. I'm sure I don't need 12. If there is a way to remove these multiple copies how would I go about doing it. Would these be slowing down the boot up. My network runs fine.

I have 3 rom drives on this system plus a zip and a hard drive, could the Win95-98 Promise Ultra100 (tm) IDE (PDC20265) Controller be bogged down trying to poll all these drives. I'm kinda at a loss. Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

Hardware

ASUS A7V Motherboard 200 MHZ FSB AGP Pro/4X
256MB PC133 Ram
Athlon Thunderbird 1 GHZ Processor
ASUS AGP-V7700 Deluxe v5.33a 32MB Video Card
Conexant HCF 56K Speakerphone PCI Modem
Wave Device for Voice Modem
Ezonics EZ Cam II
Iomega Parallel Port Zip Drive
Microtek Parallel Port Scanner
Win95-98 Promise Ultra100 (tm) IDE Controller
(PDC20265)
Maxtor 5 3073H6 30 GB hard Drive
Lexmark 3200 Series ColorFine, LPT1:
Pic WIN95 Fax Printer
CREATIVE DVD-ROM DVD2240E Drive
MITSUMI CD-ROM FX4830T!B Drive
TEAC CD-W54E CDRW Drive
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
OpticalMouse2 (PS/2)
Plug and Play Monitor Hitachi 19" CM715
Creative SB Live! Value Sound Card

Software

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998
Internet Explorer Version 6.0.2600.0000CO

Network

Dial-Up Adapter
TCP/IP (2 copies)
DFE-530TX+ 10/100 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Client for Microsoft Networks (6 copies)
IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol (2 copies)
File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks (12 copies)
NetBEUI (2 copies)

More about : slow boot

September 29, 2001 6:13:53 PM

Right click and remove all copies, if they come back do it in safe mode if possible, if you cant, remove EVERYTHING and reinstall your network cards/modem.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2001 7:23:34 PM

Thanks Matt. Do you think the multiple entrys are slowing the boot process up? I hate to screw with my network, it took me quite a while to get it running right. I guess that might be why I have so many entries...Thanks again
Related resources
September 29, 2001 7:26:04 PM

Multiple entries for the same device are almost universally bad. I dont know if it would slow down startup, but it might.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2001 7:36:37 PM

indeed, remove ALL the adapters, and reinstall *one* copy if necessary. Remove IPX completely, as you probably dont use it anyway. Remove NetBEUI if you dont need it (likely not, since you run over TCP-IP)

Also, manually assiging an IP address might really help as well. Go start to a command prompt and type "winipcfg", note down the ip address / subnet, and enter it in the advanced TCP-IP settings. This halved my booting time on win XP (especially the time after seeing the desktop and actually being able to use the machine).

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2001 9:34:50 PM

Thanks BB I'll give it a try...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2001 5:35:49 PM

I booted the system up in safe mode and checked for double entrys. Its really puzzling because there are no double entrys under the network configuration. The only place I find double entrys is when I excute Window's system information. They are listed in the info under Network. I can only assume that these duplicate entry's reside in the registry. I am about ready to give this up, I don't want to foul up my network. I can live with the slow boot. Thanks again...
September 30, 2001 7:18:56 PM

AlwaysLearning.....

I had this EXACT same problem with my brother computer with an ASUS A7V and a T-Bird 700.....

Wanna know what I did to fix it ?!?

give thsi a shot and let me know if it let's ur comp boot up faster ok ?? u might think its stupid but just do thsi to see if the comp. boots up quicker......

Update your BIOS to the LATEST version, i believe its 1008 ro something.....
this isn't what will help the boot, but will help out for later use with what im about to tell u...

NOW.......go to Device Manager.....
Now....under SCSI Adapters....it should show your Promise controller there....correct ???
Remove it........and reboot the computer.......
now it'll boot up VERY quickly....at least 2 times faster than it used to take......

thats what i found out was slowing the boot up process.....

now....once it boots back up, all ur devices (ide devices) will still be there and will still work just not under 32-bit mode....

now what u do is update the device driver from the version you most likely installed off the Motherboard cd (which i personally found to be the whole problem) and go to the followign link and DL the NEWEST Ultra-100 Promise Controlelr driver for the A7V......not the A7V133..
Link: http://www.asus.com/products/motherboard/driver_ide.htm...
It is the 3rd one done.....

now use that driver to UPDATE ur promise controller......and reboot the comp. and it should boot fine afterwards =)

Let us know how it goes....

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2001 3:03:11 AM

MetalRocker, want to thank you for taking the time to post on my problem. As soon as I get all the new drivers downloaded, I'll follow your sugesstions. I've always suspected that it might be a controller problem. Once again thanks, and I'll certainly keep you posted on my progress....
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2001 3:35:54 AM

Hey Metal...Sorry to say that the procedures you recommended did not solve my problem. The new bios flashed as advertised, I removerd the promise controller, rebooted and installed the latest promise driver. No difference in boot up times. I really thought this was going to do it, but to no avail. I guess im going to have to redo the network, and that was the last thing I wanted to do. Appreciate your assistance. At least I got a great lesson on updating bios.Thanks
October 6, 2001 4:39:21 AM

I have very limited experience in SCSI or RAID setups, but I do know that my friend was having very long bootup times under Windows 2000, using a SCSI controller and accompanying HD's. We suspected that Windows 2000 used the max transfer rate more than previous Windows incarnations, and removed it to run at normal ATA 100, up from 80 Mbps max with the SCSI controller. After removing it, it went much faster, on par with mine. Not sure if that helps at all,(probably does not) but what the hell.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2001 3:33:09 AM

Thanks Boondock...
!