G

I few monts ago, I got a Noisecontrol Silverado HSF. I based my purchase on Toms Hardware review. I wanted an adequate and especially SILENT hsf. As some may recall, I used to have a Duron 600@933 back then. The Silverado proved more than capable of cooling the cpu, even on 6 or 8v (I got around 44° max). I even recommended this HSF to many users.

Now recently , I upgraded to a SiS735 board a 1.4 Tbird. The thing ran HOT. I mean..54°c iddle, and after a few hours of Return to castle Wolfenstein, it would be at 63°C !! While it was still perfectly stable, I found this way too high. 10v or 12v hardly improved things. Reseating the HSF, re-applying ASII made no difference either.

To make a long story short, I now bought a Swichtech MC462 with a 80mm low noise Pabst fan. I now iddle at 41° and it doesnt get hotter than 46°C. My case flow is also much better (the silverado has these two 180° fans, that really ruins the flow, even in big tower case like mine).

So.. I can only recommend the Swiftech now.. its also a breeze to install (no clips), and with the Pabst fan, it makes as little noise as the silverado 8v. Does anyone use the Silerado with a 1.4 Athlon ? If so what temps are you getting ?? I wonder if I damaged mine (its surface is slightly scratched), or if its just inadequate for a 1.4+...

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Silverados should not be used on anything over 1.33ghz at the MOST IMO. This is stock, overclocking with voltage increase I would limit the silverado to 1.2ghz.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

G

I tend to agree.. still it strikes me that the Silverado is rated for 1500+ athlons @10v !
Also, a friend of mine has very good results with his silverado and a Tbird 1.2@1333. Keeps it below 47°, so im still thinking something is wrong with mine; the Athlon engraving on the die is still slightly visible on the underside of the heatsink.. my supplier tells me this is normal, as silver is much softer than other metals, and this should not have an impact on the cooling performance.

Anyone got any ideas or tips on lapping it ?

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip