Better aid another?

What ways are there to improve the bonus gained from the aid another
action in combat? I know only of one PrC (Purple Dragon knight) that
improves the AC bonus granted from +2 to +4, and there's a SW d20 feat
that improves both bonuses from +2 to +4. Any others?

Any way to get a scaling bonus, dependant on the aiding character's
attack roll?

What about a feat that allowed a character to use aid another as an
attack instead of a standard action? So a character with three iterative
attacks could grant the bonus to three different allies? Too strong? Too
weak?

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> What ways are there to improve the bonus gained from the aid another
> action in combat? I know only of one PrC (Purple Dragon knight) that
> improves the AC bonus granted from +2 to +4, and there's a SW d20 feat
> that improves both bonuses from +2 to +4. Any others?

I'm not really aware of any other methods out there for improving Aid
Another in combat. However, the Dark Sun rules at athas.org has a feat
that improves Aid Another with respect to skill checks. That feat
improves the bonus from +2 to +3.

> Any way to get a scaling bonus, dependant on the aiding character's
> attack roll?

Hm... I like that idea. But, I haven't seen anything that does this.

> What about a feat that allowed a character to use aid another as an
> attack instead of a standard action? So a character with three iterative
> attacks could grant the bonus to three different allies? Too strong? Too
> weak?

Well, Aid Another bonuses stack with each other. As written, the extra
attacks wouldn't have to go to other allies. So simply making Aid
Another an attack action could let a 6th level ranger (Two-Weapon
Fighting) grant a single ally +8 to attack or +8 to AC or some
combination of the two. (For fun, let's throw in a Haste spell and
raise that total bonus to +10). Normally, you'd need 4 or 5 allies all
aiding you to get a similar bonus. I'd say that's definitely a power
problem.

You could place restrict a single ally to granting an ally only a +2
bonus. I'm not sure how often one would be in the situation of having
multiple allies that need aiding. There is, however, a useful bonus in
being allowed to make an iterative attack to "try again" in case I
rolled a natural one or simply missed AC 10.

-Tialan

Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:
>What ways are there to improve the bonus gained from the aid another
>action in combat? I know only of one PrC (Purple Dragon knight) that
>improves the AC bonus granted from +2 to +4, and there's a SW d20 feat
>that improves both bonuses from +2 to +4. Any others?
>
>Any way to get a scaling bonus, dependant on the aiding character's
>attack roll?
>
>What about a feat that allowed a character to use aid another as an
>attack instead of a standard action? So a character with three iterative
>attacks could grant the bonus to three different allies? Too strong? Too
>weak?

There is a feat in Dragon Magazine #323 p96 called Improved Aid Another.
It improves the Aid Another option from +2 to +4 and is considered
a Fighter Bonus Feat.

Jester

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> What ways are there to improve the bonus gained from the aid another
> action in combat? I know only of one PrC (Purple Dragon knight) that
> improves the AC bonus granted from +2 to +4, and there's a SW d20 feat
> that improves both bonuses from +2 to +4. Any others?
>
> Any way to get a scaling bonus, dependant on the aiding character's
> attack roll?

There's something similar in Complete Adventurer.
Hopefully someone will post it.
If not, I will when I'm less tired. ;(