Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

workstation 400 PII to PIII ?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 4:04:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi!

I found one old Dell Workstation 400 in my closet.
BIOS (A03) says Dell Workstatsion 400 MT

It had 2 * PII 333Mhz processors which was identified correctly by
BIOS.
I changed processors to 2 * PIII ???Mhz (maybe 500, there is text in
prosessor
that says 500/512/100/2.0V S1).

BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz.

I upgraded the Bios to A05 (WS400A05.EXE)
which can be found at ftp://ftp1.dell.com/bios/
I don't know if this is the newest one.

BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz. So, computer starts but BIOS does not
known
the processors right. I haven't still installed OS to look if it
identifies processors to something else than PII.

Maybe I'll install Lixux and see what happens...

Marko







>From: Christopher Muto (muto@worldnet.att.net)
>Subject: Re: workstation 400 PII to PIII ?
>
>
>View this article only
>Newsgroups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
>Date: 2004-04-02 09:10:35 PST
>
>
>i am not familiar with the precision 400 but basic information about
it
>suggest this:
>it was sold by dell with either a pentium II 266, 300, or 333mhz
processor.
>all had a 66mhz front side bus (fsb). the latest bios revision is
a05. it
>has a 440lx chipset which is limited to a 66mhz fsb. this means that
any
>possible processor upgrade would have to have a 66mhz fsb which makes
>celerons a possible choice. powerleap.com sells a 700mhz/66mhz fsb
celeron
>slot1 type processor upgrade for about $120. they offer no
compatibility
>information for the precision 4000 but it will likely work if you
update the
>system to the latest bios. i believe powerleap will accept returns
if it
>doesn't work (ask them before ordering). but at that price you may
be
>better off putting the money towards purchasing a new low end pc
instead.
>
September 18, 2004 2:16:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

FX chipset - Is it capable of 100Mhz bus speed?
PII 333 = 66Mhz buss speed with a 5 times multipier.
PIII 500 = 100Mhz buss speed with a 5 times multiplier.
Looking at jumper config
http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/dtor/Jumpers.ht... can't see any other
option.
http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/dtor/Specs.htm

"Marko Lahtonen" <markolahtonen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1459cc22.0409162304.217f7355@posting.google.com...
> Hi!
>
> I found one old Dell Workstation 400 in my closet.
> BIOS (A03) says Dell Workstatsion 400 MT
>
> It had 2 * PII 333Mhz processors which was identified correctly by
> BIOS.
> I changed processors to 2 * PIII ???Mhz (maybe 500, there is text in
> prosessor
> that says 500/512/100/2.0V S1).
>
> BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz.
>
> I upgraded the Bios to A05 (WS400A05.EXE)
> which can be found at ftp://ftp1.dell.com/bios/
> I don't know if this is the newest one.
>
> BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz. So, computer starts but BIOS does not
> known
> the processors right. I haven't still installed OS to look if it
> identifies processors to something else than PII.
>
> Maybe I'll install Lixux and see what happens...
>
> Marko
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> >From: Christopher Muto (muto@worldnet.att.net)
> >Subject: Re: workstation 400 PII to PIII ?
> >
> >
> >View this article only
> >Newsgroups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
> >Date: 2004-04-02 09:10:35 PST
> >
> >
> >i am not familiar with the precision 400 but basic information about
> it
> >suggest this:
> >it was sold by dell with either a pentium II 266, 300, or 333mhz
> processor.
> >all had a 66mhz front side bus (fsb). the latest bios revision is
> a05. it
> >has a 440lx chipset which is limited to a 66mhz fsb. this means that
> any
> >possible processor upgrade would have to have a 66mhz fsb which makes
> >celerons a possible choice. powerleap.com sells a 700mhz/66mhz fsb
> celeron
> >slot1 type processor upgrade for about $120. they offer no
> compatibility
> >information for the precision 4000 but it will likely work if you
> update the
> >system to the latest bios. i believe powerleap will accept returns
> if it
> >doesn't work (ask them before ordering). but at that price you may
> be
> >better off putting the money towards purchasing a new low end pc
> instead.
> >
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 7:03:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I don't know if the FX chipset is capable of 100 bus speed.
I haven't touch on any jumper.

But I do know now the my Debian installation is "working".
I still have to boot on floppy, because on some reason
this machine does not boot anymore on HD or CD.

This is a minimal Debian installation and I don't know yet
if it uses multiprocessor support. And I haven't found
nothing about the processor. Debian is still new to me maybe
I'll change this to RH9

Marko


"Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message news:<DSJ2d.4024$mZ2.368591@news02.tsnz.net>...
> FX chipset - Is it capable of 100Mhz bus speed?
> PII 333 = 66Mhz buss speed with a 5 times multipier.
> PIII 500 = 100Mhz buss speed with a 5 times multiplier.
> Looking at jumper config
> http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/dtor/Jumpers.ht... can't see any other
> option.
> http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/dtor/Specs.htm
>
> "Marko Lahtonen" <markolahtonen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1459cc22.0409162304.217f7355@posting.google.com...
> > Hi!
> >
> > I found one old Dell Workstation 400 in my closet.
> > BIOS (A03) says Dell Workstatsion 400 MT
> >
> > It had 2 * PII 333Mhz processors which was identified correctly by
> > BIOS.
> > I changed processors to 2 * PIII ???Mhz (maybe 500, there is text in
> > prosessor
> > that says 500/512/100/2.0V S1).
> >
> > BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz.
> >
> > I upgraded the Bios to A05 (WS400A05.EXE)
> > which can be found at ftp://ftp1.dell.com/bios/
> > I don't know if this is the newest one.
> >
> > BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz. So, computer starts but BIOS does not
> > known
> > the processors right. I haven't still installed OS to look if it
> > identifies processors to something else than PII.
> >
> > Maybe I'll install Lixux and see what happens...
> >
> > Marko
> >
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 5:04:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The Intel 440FX and 440LX chipsets do not support a 100MHz front-side bus. The
Intel 440ZX and more common 440BX chipsets do... Ben Myers

On 21 Sep 2004 03:03:55 -0700, markolahtonen@hotmail.com (Marko Lahtonen) wrote:

>I don't know if the FX chipset is capable of 100 bus speed.
>I haven't touch on any jumper.
>
>But I do know now the my Debian installation is "working".
>I still have to boot on floppy, because on some reason
>this machine does not boot anymore on HD or CD.
>
>This is a minimal Debian installation and I don't know yet
>if it uses multiprocessor support. And I haven't found
>nothing about the processor. Debian is still new to me maybe
>I'll change this to RH9
>
>Marko
>
>
>"Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message news:<DSJ2d.4024$mZ2.368591@news02.tsnz.net>...
>> FX chipset - Is it capable of 100Mhz bus speed?
>> PII 333 = 66Mhz buss speed with a 5 times multipier.
>> PIII 500 = 100Mhz buss speed with a 5 times multiplier.
>> Looking at jumper config
>> http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/dtor/Jumpers.ht... can't see any other
>> option.
>> http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/dtor/Specs.htm
>>
>> "Marko Lahtonen" <markolahtonen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1459cc22.0409162304.217f7355@posting.google.com...
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I found one old Dell Workstation 400 in my closet.
>> > BIOS (A03) says Dell Workstatsion 400 MT
>> >
>> > It had 2 * PII 333Mhz processors which was identified correctly by
>> > BIOS.
>> > I changed processors to 2 * PIII ???Mhz (maybe 500, there is text in
>> > prosessor
>> > that says 500/512/100/2.0V S1).
>> >
>> > BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz.
>> >
>> > I upgraded the Bios to A05 (WS400A05.EXE)
>> > which can be found at ftp://ftp1.dell.com/bios/
>> > I don't know if this is the newest one.
>> >
>> > BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz. So, computer starts but BIOS does not
>> > known
>> > the processors right. I haven't still installed OS to look if it
>> > identifies processors to something else than PII.
>> >
>> > Maybe I'll install Lixux and see what happens...
>> >
>> > Marko
>> >
!