workstation 400 PII to PIII ?

Hi!

I found one old Dell Workstation 400 in my closet.
BIOS (A03) says Dell Workstatsion 400 MT

It had 2 * PII 333Mhz processors which was identified correctly by
BIOS.
I changed processors to 2 * PIII ???Mhz (maybe 500, there is text in
prosessor
that says 500/512/100/2.0V S1).

BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz.

I upgraded the Bios to A05 (WS400A05.EXE)
which can be found at ftp://ftp1.dell.com/bios/
I don't know if this is the newest one.

BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz. So, computer starts but BIOS does not
known
the processors right. I haven't still installed OS to look if it
identifies processors to something else than PII.

Maybe I'll install Lixux and see what happens...

Marko

>From: Christopher Muto (muto@worldnet.att.net)
>Subject: Re: workstation 400 PII to PIII ?
>

>View this article only
>Newsgroups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
>Date: 2004-04-02 09:10:35 PST
>

>i am not familiar with the precision 400 but basic information about
it
>suggest this:
>it was sold by dell with either a pentium II 266, 300, or 333mhz
processor.
>all had a 66mhz front side bus (fsb). the latest bios revision is
a05. it
>has a 440lx chipset which is limited to a 66mhz fsb. this means that
any
>possible processor upgrade would have to have a 66mhz fsb which makes
>celerons a possible choice. powerleap.com sells a 700mhz/66mhz fsb
celeron
>slot1 type processor upgrade for about $120. they offer no
compatibility
>information for the precision 4000 but it will likely work if you
update the
>system to the latest bios. i believe powerleap will accept returns
if it
>doesn't work (ask them before ordering). but at that price you may
be
>better off putting the money towards purchasing a new low end pc
instead.

3 answers Last reply
More about workstation piii

    FX chipset - Is it capable of 100Mhz bus speed?
    PII 333 = 66Mhz buss speed with a 5 times multipier.
    PIII 500 = 100Mhz buss speed with a 5 times multiplier.
    Looking at jumper config
    http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/dtor/Jumpers.htm can't see any other
    option.
    http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/dtor/Specs.htm

    "Marko Lahtonen" <markolahtonen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I found one old Dell Workstation 400 in my closet.
    > BIOS (A03) says Dell Workstatsion 400 MT
    >
    > It had 2 * PII 333Mhz processors which was identified correctly by
    > BIOS.
    > I changed processors to 2 * PIII ???Mhz (maybe 500, there is text in
    > prosessor
    > that says 500/512/100/2.0V S1).
    >
    > BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz.
    >
    > I upgraded the Bios to A05 (WS400A05.EXE)
    > which can be found at ftp://ftp1.dell.com/bios/
    > I don't know if this is the newest one.
    >
    > BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz. So, computer starts but BIOS does not
    > known
    > the processors right. I haven't still installed OS to look if it
    > identifies processors to something else than PII.
    >
    > Maybe I'll install Lixux and see what happens...
    >
    > Marko
    >

    > >From: Christopher Muto (muto@worldnet.att.net)
    > >Subject: Re: workstation 400 PII to PIII ?
    > >

    > >View this article only
    > >Newsgroups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
    > >Date: 2004-04-02 09:10:35 PST
    > >

    > >i am not familiar with the precision 400 but basic information about
    > it
    > >suggest this:
    > >it was sold by dell with either a pentium II 266, 300, or 333mhz
    > processor.
    > >all had a 66mhz front side bus (fsb). the latest bios revision is
    > a05. it
    > >has a 440lx chipset which is limited to a 66mhz fsb. this means that
    > any
    > >possible processor upgrade would have to have a 66mhz fsb which makes
    > >celerons a possible choice. powerleap.com sells a 700mhz/66mhz fsb
    > celeron
    > >slot1 type processor upgrade for about $120. they offer no
    > compatibility
    > >information for the precision 4000 but it will likely work if you
    > update the
    > >system to the latest bios. i believe powerleap will accept returns
    > if it
    > >doesn't work (ask them before ordering). but at that price you may
    > be
    > >better off putting the money towards purchasing a new low end pc
    > instead.

    I don't know if the FX chipset is capable of 100 bus speed.
    I haven't touch on any jumper.

    But I do know now the my Debian installation is "working".
    I still have to boot on floppy, because on some reason
    this machine does not boot anymore on HD or CD.

    This is a minimal Debian installation and I don't know yet
    if it uses multiprocessor support. And I haven't found
    nothing about the processor. Debian is still new to me maybe
    I'll change this to RH9

    Marko

    "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message news:<DSJ2d.4024$mZ2.368591@news02.tsnz.net>...
    > FX chipset - Is it capable of 100Mhz bus speed?
    > PII 333 = 66Mhz buss speed with a 5 times multipier.
    > PIII 500 = 100Mhz buss speed with a 5 times multiplier.
    > Looking at jumper config
    > http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/dtor/Jumpers.htm can't see any other
    > option.
    > http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/dtor/Specs.htm
    >
    > "Marko Lahtonen" <markolahtonen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I found one old Dell Workstation 400 in my closet.
    > > BIOS (A03) says Dell Workstatsion 400 MT
    > >
    > > It had 2 * PII 333Mhz processors which was identified correctly by
    > > BIOS.
    > > I changed processors to 2 * PIII ???Mhz (maybe 500, there is text in
    > > prosessor
    > > that says 500/512/100/2.0V S1).
    > >
    > > BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz.
    > >
    > > I upgraded the Bios to A05 (WS400A05.EXE)
    > > which can be found at ftp://ftp1.dell.com/bios/
    > > I don't know if this is the newest one.
    > >
    > > BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz. So, computer starts but BIOS does not
    > > known
    > > the processors right. I haven't still installed OS to look if it
    > > identifies processors to something else than PII.
    > >
    > > Maybe I'll install Lixux and see what happens...
    > >
    > > Marko

    The Intel 440FX and 440LX chipsets do not support a 100MHz front-side bus. The
    Intel 440ZX and more common 440BX chipsets do... Ben Myers

    On 21 Sep 2004 03:03:55 -0700, markolahtonen@hotmail.com (Marko Lahtonen) wrote:

    >I don't know if the FX chipset is capable of 100 bus speed.
    >I haven't touch on any jumper.
    >
    >But I do know now the my Debian installation is "working".
    >I still have to boot on floppy, because on some reason
    >this machine does not boot anymore on HD or CD.
    >
    >This is a minimal Debian installation and I don't know yet
    >if it uses multiprocessor support. And I haven't found
    >nothing about the processor. Debian is still new to me maybe
    >I'll change this to RH9
    >
    >Marko
    >

    >"Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message news:<DSJ2d.4024$mZ2.368591@news02.tsnz.net>...
    >> FX chipset - Is it capable of 100Mhz bus speed?
    >> PII 333 = 66Mhz buss speed with a 5 times multipier.
    >> PIII 500 = 100Mhz buss speed with a 5 times multiplier.
    >> Looking at jumper config
    >> http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/dtor/Jumpers.htm can't see any other
    >> option.
    >> http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/dtor/Specs.htm
    >>
    >> "Marko Lahtonen" <markolahtonen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi!
    >> >
    >> > I found one old Dell Workstation 400 in my closet.
    >> > BIOS (A03) says Dell Workstatsion 400 MT
    >> >
    >> > It had 2 * PII 333Mhz processors which was identified correctly by
    >> > BIOS.
    >> > I changed processors to 2 * PIII ???Mhz (maybe 500, there is text in
    >> > prosessor
    >> > that says 500/512/100/2.0V S1).
    >> >
    >> > BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz.
    >> >
    >> > I upgraded the Bios to A05 (WS400A05.EXE)
    >> > which can be found at ftp://ftp1.dell.com/bios/
    >> > I don't know if this is the newest one.
    >> >
    >> > BIOS says still 2*PII 333 Mhz. So, computer starts but BIOS does not
    >> > known
    >> > the processors right. I haven't still installed OS to look if it
    >> > identifies processors to something else than PII.
    >> >
    >> > Maybe I'll install Lixux and see what happens...
    >> >
    >> > Marko

Dell BIOS Workstations Processors Computers