New Athlon Details?

roscoe

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2001
How does the new chip answer the P4? Can anyone explain the speed differences?

...and when will it come out?

Also, there's something on the street about some giveaways, but what's the real deal?

rOscOe

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The new athlon will cost less and perform on par with the latest p4, northwood and whatever else comes out in the coming months will undoubtedly change this. The athlon is clocked slower but performs more work per clock. There are tons of benchmarks and reviews out there for you to make an informed decision as to which chip you want to invest in.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"The new athlon will ... perform on par with the latest p4, northwood and whatever else comes out in the coming months will undoubtedly change this"

These are more baseless claims. To date there have been no reviews of the Pentium 4 Northwood, and no benchmarks have been publicly released. I do not recall seeing any reviews or benchmarks for the Athlon Palomino either. I must respectfully ask that you decline from assumptions and presumptions on future products and present only the facts.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Indeed, the Northwood's 512KB may just be what the doctor ordered. The P4 needs bandwidth and Intel is giving it it more High-Bandwidth L2 cache!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
OK ill take this one step by step.

"The new athlon WILL PERFORM ON PAR WITH THE LATEST P4,"

THIS IS A SINGLE LINE, THE 2GHZ IS THE LATEST P4, THE NEW ATHLONXP 1.53 WILL KICK THE CRAP OUT OF IT, I however decided to be evenhanded and said perform on par. Do you deny this fact ray, the athlon 1.4ghz loses benchmarks by 7-10% when compared to the p4 2ghz. The athlonxp will give 10% performance enhancement clock for clock, this means that a 1.4ghz (let alone a 1.53ghz)athlon xp will equal a p4@2ghz. DO YOU DENY THIS RAY.

"northwood and whatever else comes out in the coming months will undoubtedly change this"

This line was giving the the intel camp the nod for the fact the northwood should increase performance and keep AMD on its toes while acknoledging the fact that AMD is also creating new technologies which will keep the battle raging. DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT COMMENT RAY?

There are benchmarks for the palomino, they are called athlon mp benchmarks, the mp is the palomino, and they have been tested, and give 10% clock per clock. Those benchmarks are widely available.

NONE of my claims were baseless. I must respectully ask you quit riding my ass when I post with your assumptions. I have not made a single claim which I can not back up, and those claims which are not set in stone or are my oppinions are ALWAYS LED INTO WITH "PROBABLY, MOST LIKELY" etc.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Perhaps you should revisit your grammar. You said: "The new athlon will ... perform on par with the latest p4, northwood and whatever else comes out in the coming months will undoubtedly change this." This sentence states that the new athlon will perform on par with the latest p4, the northwood. It also says that whatever else comes out in the coming months will undoubtedly change this. Now then, I do not enjoy nitpicking, but when incorrect grammar leads others to a false conclusion on what is being said, it can be very bad. If you meant what you now say it means, then replace the comma in your sentence with a period. It completely changes the whole meaning.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1469&p=9

here, the second paragraph
We will save our benchmarks on the Athlon 4 until the official workstation processor release but if you're interested, AMD is providing benchmarks on the processor that indicate a 2 - 15% increase in performance over an identically clocked Thunderbird. Some interesting numbers to quote from AMD include a 6% advantage under Quake III Arena, a 5% increase under Business Winstone 2001 and a 10% advantage under SYSMark 2000. The majority of this performance increase does come from the data prefetch of the Athlon 4."

There are other sites I will look later.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Listen don't believe the HYPE !

Wake up man, we will only see a real world difference of 5% meanwhile Northwood is going to whoop ass ! 512k Cache against 256K !!

2.2GHz against 1.53 GHz ?!? over 600Mhz difference will leave Athlon XP in the gutter.

<font color=purple> **I eat confusion and spit it out slow**</font color=purple>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
AHH I see, however I must point out.

The new athlon will cost less and perform on par with the latest p4, northwood and whatever else comes out in the coming months will undoubtedly change this.

^The actual sentence.

The new athlon will cost less and perform on par with the latest p4, northwood. Whatever else comes out in the coming months will undoubtedly change this.

^the way the sentence would look if it was supposed to mean what you though.

The way I wrote it was not clear but it was not wrong either. I will chalk this one up to my bad and forget it ever happend.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Kind of like the 600mhz between the athlon1.4 and the p4@2 is supposed to leave it in the dust? When on a kt266a or nforce the athlon performs equally as well as the chip which costs 5 times as much? I truely hope that post was sarcasm.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
You cannot deny that P4 Northwood is going to be superior to Athlon XP.

Wait till you see the benchmarks against Northwood and Athlon XP. However I do believe Athlon XP 1.53 vs P4 2Ghz..Xp will win.

Northwood will be faster in most applications.
Call it a hunch ;-)

<font color=purple> **I eat confusion and spit it out slow**</font color=purple>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I have no facts, but I have a feeling we're returning to the 512KB cache trend. Before it was 512KB external cache. Now it will be 512KB onboard cache that is significantly faster with lower latency. What I do know is that AMD will eventually catch up with Intel move for move. AMD has enough market share and finacial support to match Intel wherever they go. I'd say that Intel and AMD will continue to lead the processor market TOGETHER for several more years to come.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

>You cannot deny that P4 Northwood is going to be superior
>to Athlon XP.
to quote Raystonn afew posts higher:
"These are more baseless claims. To date there have been no reviews of the Pentium 4 Northwood, and no benchmarks have been publicly released."

wait and see. Personally, I sure hope it'll fast as hell. AS I hope Athlon XP will be a screamer, as I hope this for any future cpu.. we can only benefit..

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
we will only see a real world difference of 5%
You might be right. However, see the review below where a Palomino core (Morgan) Duron, with SSE enabled, outperforms an identically clocked Athlon by 23% for MPEG-2 encoding using a DDR mobo. With an SDRAM mobo the "Morgan" only outperforms the Athlon by 14%. In this case, SSE is not enabled (because the KT7A BIOS does not yet recognize SSE). The author attributes this 14% gain in performance to the Morgan's Prefetch capability.

<A HREF="http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=45000207&keyword_highlight=morgan" target="_new">http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=45000207&keyword_highlight=morgan</A>

In games the Morgan is on par with the Athlon.

Just think what a Palomino will do with the larger cache. (The Morgans and earlier Durons only have 192Kb of total cache compared to the Athlon's 384Kb).

We will need to see actual Palominos tested with a broader range of tests to see how all results average.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
You cannot deny that P4 Northwood is going to be superior to Athlon XP.
It is not a fact yet gobbledegook, so I can deny it. However I accept that it most likely will be faster.
Wait till you see the benchmarks against Northwood and Athlon XP. However I do believe Athlon XP 1.53 vs P4 2Ghz..Xp will win.
I KNOW athlon xp 1.53 versus p4 2.0 will win. It is simple math to figure out what the results will be given we know how well the palomino performs(athlon mp).
Northwood will be faster in most applications.
Call it a hunch ;-)
That is just that, a hunch.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Same chip as the tbird but its still 0.18micron, will produce less heat, Has a version of 3d now that will do SSE coding "Note: SSE2 is Intels open standard but AMD decided not to use but the Hammer will". Will be faster clock for clock against the Tbird.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

roscoe

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2001
Wow, that's some great info! Sounds like its really going to show he P4 up.

Has anyone heard anything about them giving some away? Seriously?

rOscOe

G

Even if a P4 is faster the Athlon will be a much better deal because (all of this is from price watch):

$99 Athlon 1.4GHz 266 FSB
$111 - Athlon 1.4GHz 200 FSB
$95 - Athlon 1.33GHz 266 FSB
$99 - Athlon 1.3GHz 200 FSB
$86 - Athlon 1.2GHz 266 FSB
$81 - Athlon 1.2GHz 200 FSB
$83 - Athlon 1.13GHz 266 FSB
$83 - Athlon 1.1GHz 200 FSB

$537 - Pentium 4 2.0GHz
$369 - Pentium 4 1.9GHz
$223 - Pentium 4 1.8GHz
$197 - Pentium 4 1.7GHz Sock 478
$173 - Pentium 4 1.7GHz
$164 - Pentium 4 1.6GHz
$121 - Pentium 4 1.5GHz
$112 - Pentium 4 1.4GHz
$107 - Pentium 4 1.3GHz

What makes this even more clear is that (from what I have heard) 1.4Ghz Athlons preforme on par with 2Ghz Pentium's.

-Mike

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Note that the prices are in line with each other for equal clockspeeds. (Compare the Pentium 1.4GHz with the Athlon 1.4GHz.) AMD is moving to the PR rating system, so prices will no longer be equivolent for equal clockspeeds. For example, an Athlon PR1900 will be priced approximately the same as a Pentium 4 1.9GHz at these retailers. You cannot expect to retain the same price/performance ratio with the introduction of these PR ratings.

-Raystonn

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
This is the whole reason they moved to the PR rating system. In todays markets, the average consumer uses the number printed next to the name of the CPU (usually the clockspeed) to determine how well it performs. If they can get an Athlon 1900 cheaper than a Pentium 4 1900, they will usually buy it. If the reverse is true, they will usually buy the Pentium 4. Thus, CPUs with a given number beside their product name are priced at approximately the same levels.

This is done today for the Pentium 4 1.4GHz and Athlon 1.4GHz. They are close to the same price. Once the PR figures move in, the number next to your Athlon will be increasing without the actual performance of the CPU increasing. (The lower clockspeed numbers will be replaced with the higher PR numbers, without any change to the actual processors.) Your Athlon 1.4GHz will be renamed Athlon XP 1600 and priced against the Pentium 4 1.6GHz, rather than the Pentium 4 1.4GHz. In essence, prices will increased due to the supposed perception of better performance, but the processor will not have actually been modified. This increases your price / performance ratio.

-Raystonn

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
~ In essence, prices will increased due to the supposed perception of better performance, but the processor will not have actually been modified. This increases your price / performance ratio. ~

Whoa, Raystonn. Though this is quite possible it is an assumption. Until we see the XP prices once they have ramped up to volume production levels this is only a hunch.

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
ray, as I have pointed out so far, your theory sounds nice, but INTEL lowered its processors to match the athlon, not the other way around. AMD didnt say, ok the 1.4ghz p4 is selling for 120, lets price ours at 100 and we will clean up. No, AMD said it costs us 80 bucks(just example numbers I do not know the cpc on the athlon) lets sell it for 100 and make a nice profit. Then intel said "holy [-peep-], amd chips are as good or equal to ours for 500 bucks less, we better cut prices.". You can try to spin it any way you want, but AMD set the low prices FIRST, how can amd's prices be reactionary when they were set first?

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
AMD chose to use pr ratings because ignorant consumers automatically thinking 2ghz is faster than 1.4ghz, even when it isnt. They did not want to do it I would imagine, but now its done, and we have to live with it.

I guarentee you that AMD will maintain its aggressive price difference, but only time will tell.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~