Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Computer Doesn't Recognize w7 Disc

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
February 2, 2013 8:43:06 PM

Hello, I have a Windows 7 Disc that I've used in the past, but I'm planning on building a new rig in about a month or two and I'm just planning a little bit. So my problem is that my computer doesn't seem to recognize my CD during the boot. It use to ask me press a button to boot from CD but no longer does and but I can run the CD after my computer has booted to my desktop so that means It can't be the CD nor the CD drive correct? I do have the boot order set for the CD-ROM first. Anyone have an idea? Thanks.
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2013 9:15:46 PM

It is probably not a bootable disk?
February 2, 2013 9:28:20 PM

noidea_77 said:
It is probably not a bootable disk?

I've used it in the past so it is definitely a bootable disk.
EDIT: I just tested it on a laptop just to be sure so we know its not a problem with the CD
Related resources
February 2, 2013 9:28:22 PM

racanarr said:
Hello, I have a Windows 7 Disc that I've used in the past, but I'm planning on building a new rig in about a month or two and I'm just planning a little bit. So my problem is that my computer doesn't seem to recognize my CD during the boot. It use to ask me press a button to boot from CD but no longer does and but I can run the CD after my computer has booted to my desktop so that means It can't be the CD nor the CD drive correct? I do have the boot order set for the CD-ROM first. Anyone have an idea? Thanks.


Go into your BIOS and make certain your CD-Rom drive is set to boot earlier than your hard drive in your boot sequence. If your HD is listed earlier and boots first you won't get the prompt to boot from the Windows disc and you'll simply head straight into Windows.

EDIT: You know, I need to put on my reading glasses as you've already said you've checked the boot order. My apologies.

EDIT 2: My only other thought is... do you have more than one CD-Rom drive? And are you sure you're putting the disc in the correct one listed in the boot sequence?

Best solution

February 2, 2013 9:37:00 PM
Share

racanarr said:
Hello, I have a Windows 7 Disc that I've used in the past, but I'm planning on building a new rig in about a month or two and I'm just planning a little bit. So my problem is that my computer doesn't seem to recognize my CD during the boot. It use to ask me press a button to boot from CD but no longer does and but I can run the CD after my computer has booted to my desktop so that means It can't be the CD nor the CD drive correct? I do have the boot order set for the CD-ROM first. Anyone have an idea? Thanks.


Could be a dirty DVD or dirty lens. Clean off the DVD with a damp soft cloth. There are lens cleaners you can buy for the drive. You could also try temporarily disconnect your harddrive and boot with the DVD to see if it will boot.
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2013 9:39:15 PM

Hello... Windows 7 disc is a DVD... just in case you have more than one drive on your computer you putting the Disc in... also unplug your hardrive, to determine if it's a boot order/Bio's setting problem.
February 2, 2013 9:45:51 PM

Crackadamus said:
Go into your BIOS and make certain your CD-Rom drive is set to boot earlier than your hard drive in your boot sequence. If your HD is listed earlier and boots first you won't get the prompt to boot from the Windows disc and you'll simply head straight into Windows.

EDIT: You know, I need to put on my reading glasses as you've already said you've checked the boot order. My apologies.

EDIT 2: My only other thought is... do you have more than one CD-Rom drive? And are you sure you're putting the disc in the correct one listed in the boot sequence?


I have just a single CD drive.

jnkweaver said:
Could be a dirty DVD or dirty lens. Clean off the DVD with a damp soft cloth. There are lens cleaners you can buy for the drive. You could also try temporarily disconnect your harddrive and boot with the DVD to see if it will boot.


I can run the CD after the boot so it doesn't appear to be nether the CD or the CD drive

EDIT: I tested it on a laptop and the CD works just fine.
February 2, 2013 10:43:29 PM

racanarr said:
I have just a single CD drive.



I can run the CD after the boot so it doesn't appear to be nether the CD or the CD drive

EDIT: I tested it on a laptop and the CD works just fine.


In that case it is the BIOS boot order. Try making the DVD the only bootable device.
February 2, 2013 10:59:08 PM

jnkweaver said:
In that case it is the BIOS boot order. Try making the DVD the only bootable device.

How do you do that? Just disable every other device (e.g. hard drives) in the BIOS.
February 2, 2013 11:03:29 PM

racanarr said:
How do you do that? Just disable everything else in the BIOS?


Yes that it what I believe is happening. Just disable everything else.
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2013 11:15:14 PM

Hello... just un plug your OS hardrive... don't mess with your settings! If it doesn't still boot, then mess with them.
February 2, 2013 11:23:08 PM

jnkweaver said:
Yes that it what I believe is happening. Just disable everything else.

Somehow the CD-Rom boot priority didn't have a drive select, but its fixed now so thanks for actively trying to help me. Much Appresh!
February 2, 2013 11:24:26 PM

racanarr said:
Somehow the CD-Rom boot priority didn't have a drive select, but its fixed now so thanks for actively trying to help me. Much Appresh!


Glad to help.
February 2, 2013 11:33:56 PM

Best answer selected by racanarr.
!