What will Northwood bring to the table?

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
OK, this post is in two parts, please try and answer in the same way.
1) What do we know about the improvements that the Northwood <b>will</b> have over the current Pentium 4?(facts only please)

2) What other improvements do you think there <b>might</b> be? What do you think the performance improvement will be over the current Pentium 4? (feel free to speculate wildly here)

Please don't turn this into an AMD vs. Intel debate, I'd like to discuss the Pentium 4 in this thread.
Thankyou.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Just to review what everyone already knows:

It will feature a full speed on-die 512KB L2 cache. It will use 0.13 micron technology. It will use copper rather than aluminum traces. There are other features I cannot really comment on at the moment. Had the above not already been mentioned in the press I would not have been able to comment on those either. ;)

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Come on Raystonn, you missed the part where you get to speculate wildly. :)
Oh well, if not that, how about posting what you would <b>like</b> to see implemented in the Northwood?

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
That would not be appropriate. I already know what is in the Northwood. :)

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Just tell me, will it make me want to buy it over an Athlon for FPU intensive stuff (non SSE2 optimized). Also, do u by any chance know what the P1 was supposed to OC to at max?

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"Just tell me, will it make me want to buy it over an Athlon for FPU intensive stuff (non SSE2 optimized)."

Well, because it has _____ and _____ and will __________________, the answer to that is _____. ;)

"do u by any chance know what the P1 was supposed to OC to at max?"

No, I did not follow Pentium overclocking. The first processor I tried to overclock was a Celeron 300A. I am still running it at 450MHz today.

-Raystonn