Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Random BSODs/Programs/Flash player randomly crashing

Last response: in Windows 7
February 2, 2013 8:52:43 PM

Since I've built my own desktop, I've been introduced to a cornucopia of miserable problems. Generally I find myself computer savvy enough to fix most of the problems I face, or use research through many forums to better understand problems. However I seem to have found some problems that I can't find any conclusive information to help me understand how to fix them.

For the past week or two I've been getting random BSODs, the past 2 giving stopcodes 0xA and 0x3B (I only just realized I was saving single dumpfiles and had to change that setting). Along with the BSODs, when playing TES V Skyrim (which I have logged atleast 50+ hours on this computer with no problems in) the game will randomly crash with no error message of any sort. One of the worst problems I've been having is with google chrome. Whenever I'm first opening the program, it will crash on the first 2 attempts, and then after awhile of it working, it will randomly crash. And (I'm not sure if this is related to chrome) at random times while watching youtube videos or using any random flash game/application it will crash.

I'm not sure, but I have an inkling that these problems could be connected, mainly because they all began to arise a week into using this desktop. Also, I have ran memtest and checked my hard drive for errors, and no errors were found.

The most recent dumpfile: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62944845/020213-16021-01.dmp

Specfications:

Mobo - ASRock H61-M DGS
PSU - Diablotek 450 W
CPU Fan - Coolermaster Hyper 212
CPU - Intel i3 2100
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4GB DDR3 (8GB)
GPU - nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320 MB
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

I appreciate any help you guys can give me!
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2013 9:15:45 PM

Well according to your crash dump chrome is what crashed this time around. Of course the obvious thing to do would be to uninstall Chrome and see if the problem returns. You may need to track the various crashes because they may report other things happening. My thinking is if you uninstall Chrome and it continues to crash then it could be some other application causing whichever application that may be running at the time to crash. I hope that isn't to confusing.

0: kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: fffffa8080200198, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000001, bitfield :
bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
Arg4: fffff80002ae5104, address which referenced memory

Debugging Details:
------------------

WRITE_ADDRESS: GetPointerFromAddress: unable to read from fffff80002d0b0e8
GetUlongFromAddress: unable to read from fffff80002d0b198
fffffa8080200198 Nonpaged pool

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

FAULTING_IP:
nt!KeReleaseSpinLock+14
fffff800`02ae5104 f048832100 lock and qword ptr [rcx],0

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xA

PROCESS_NAME: chrome.exe

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 0000000000000000 to 0000000000000000

STACK_TEXT:
00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : 0x0

STACK_COMMAND: .bugcheck ; kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nt!KeReleaseSpinLock+14
fffff800`02ae5104 f048832100 lock and qword ptr [rcx],0

SYMBOL_NAME: nt!KeReleaseSpinLock+14

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

IMAGE_NAME: Unknown_Image

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

BUCKET_ID: INVALID_KERNEL_CONTEXT

MODULE_NAME: Unknown_Module

Followup: MachineOwner
Score
Related resources
February 2, 2013 9:20:05 PM

I'm kind of reluctant to install the bios patches. A few months ago I posted on this forum with another BSOD problem and I was recommended to patch the BIOS. When I had patched the BIOS I could no longer boot to any hard drive (tried multiple) or to any CD/DVD and had to get the motherboard replaced. So I'm not sure if I want to try that again. Not sure if you would have any sort of input on that?

In terms of the PSU, it got 4/5 for reviews on newegg and it hasn't died on me once yet, but I suppose in the future I will look for a PSU from a different company.
Score
February 2, 2013 9:26:46 PM

i am kind of sure it is the 8800 GTS , those cards have issues that explain everything that is happening to your PC , i hope that im wrong cuz new graphics card is not cheap.
Score
February 2, 2013 9:27:26 PM

@neieus I will definitely uninstall chrome, however I believe there were other BSODs that happened while playing Skyrim. And I used the program "WhoCrashed?" and in its analysis of both dump files (I only have one still on my computer) it stated the cause to be a third party driver. I was thinking that the problems could be linked to my video card because Skyrim and Adobe Flash player are both relatively GPU intensive (compared to normal computer use). However I noticed a spike in the GPU's Temp after skyrim would crash but not after flash would (watching youtube videos).
Score
February 2, 2013 9:29:38 PM

@sk8_27015 Luckily I just got 100$ for christmas and was planning on buying a Geforce 550 Ti, which could potentially fix the problem. However when I took out my GPU and simply used the integrated card, videos were choppy and flash player would still crash at the same consistency as they did with the 8800 GTS.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2013 9:33:33 PM

cjos829 said:
@neieus I will definitely uninstall chrome, however I believe there were other BSODs that happened while playing Skyrim. And I used the program "WhoCrashed?" and in its analysis of both dump files (I only have one still on my computer) it stated the cause to be a third party driver. I was thinking that the problems could be linked to my video card because Skyrim and Adobe Flash player are both relatively GPU intensive (compared to normal computer use). However I noticed a spike in the GPU's Temp after skyrim would crash but not after flash would (watching youtube videos).

I fully agree with you that Chrome may not be the true culprit but in order to find out the best thing to do would be to eliminate all other possible causes. Please continue posting your dumps and we may be able to find the cause by process of elimination.
Score
February 2, 2013 9:40:25 PM

It turns out, according to CPU-Z, that my DRAM Frequency is 532.1 MHz. I'm going to set that to it's rated frequency of 1600. Would that be something to help stop my BSODs?
Score
February 2, 2013 9:48:28 PM

Nevermind about the DRAM Frequency, I look it up and my RAM seems to be running at the right speed
Score
February 6, 2013 1:35:55 AM

4 more screens in the past few days...
2 of them told me specific drivers (which were for different programs) while the other 2 were unkown (according to WhoCrashed)

The last one, which just happened happened while I had firefox open (only 2 tabs) and was trying to open a file in code::blocks (C Compiler/IDE)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62944845/020213-19936-01.dmp
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62944845/020313-43789-01.dmp
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62944845/020513-39967-01.dmp
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62944845/020513-44616-01.dmp

I really have no idea what the hell is wrong with my computer... -_-
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2013 8:41:34 AM

Your memory dumps are all over the place so I'm at a lost as to what the problem maybe. Could you provide your mother board and system details etc.?
Score
February 6, 2013 11:57:42 AM

All the system specs are in the original post, let me know if there's anything else you need or if you think DxDiag would help.
Score
February 7, 2013 12:16:25 AM

I am getting BSODs - Memory Management after also having noticed a lot of Flash crashes in the past week (since the most reason Chrome update). fwiw.
Score
February 9, 2013 8:36:14 PM

Just had another bluescreen seemingly caused by overheating, however the analysis by WhoCrashed says it was still caused by a third party driver, any ideas on what the hell is happening to my computer? :/ 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62944845/020913-37424-01.dmp
Score
February 10, 2013 3:18:40 PM

Is there nothing anyone can do to help me out??
Score

Best solution

February 11, 2013 4:57:29 AM

I have had a Nvidia GTX 550 ti for a couple years now and they're good cards. It'll play Skyrim OK. I had most settings maxed when I played. Avoid heavy shadow details, lots of draw distance, and keep AA around 4 with the highest resolution your monitor can handle. The card IS showing it's age though, and you'll be better off with a GTX 560 ti or similar. There are a bunch of newer cards out that are in the $120-180 range that are better than the 550. I spent some time looking awhile back thinking of running SLI and the 550 is getting phased out and a *worse* card than I thought it was compared to what's out now. If it's free, than go for it. Otherwise look for something better in the price range as it will hold up better with newer games that are running cards harder than ever before.

I have Win 7 64 Ultimate on my own custom system with an old Athlon II X2 250 @ 3.78 Ghz with 16 GB of Gskill rip jaws (updating soon to new board and either an i7 or an 8350 with 4 threads deactivated- gonna see if I wanna mess with intel or not as I don't like their practices or prices and emulators are the only thing I run that even comes close to taxing my Athlon now)). I NEVER get BSOD. When I had an XP set up with different board, less RAM, BSOD were common. I would update ALL drivers. It's a MUST for compatibility reasons. Update your BIOS. I know, you're worried about it, but it's a must as well unless the update only strips OC options or something. That 8800 needs to go. They were great cards in their day, but they're outdated. After you get a new video card, MAKE SURE you get the most recent video driver. Often, when new games come out (big games that are popular like COD BO2, AC3, etc.) there are a bunch of video card revisions that increase FPS and reduce bugs. So it pays to keep it up to date and no risks involved with that like there is with a BIOS.

I doubt your cheap power supply is getting overworked with an 8800 and an i3. Once you update to a better video card though, it's a good idea to get a 650w PSU. Make sure it can handle decnt amperage draw. I forget what's ideal as I haven't thought about it years, but someone here can help pick a suitable model.

If after updating ALL drivers (if they're already up to date, no worries) , BIOS, video card, you still get BSOD, maybe look at replacing your RAM with a high quality brand. They're inexpensive nowadays, and can help with stable OC. I had 2x2gb sticks of Muskin that lasted roughly one year before one of the sticks up and failed out of the blue. Before the failure, I was limited with the OC I could reach and had to under-clock the RAM somewhat. With these Gskill (4x4gb) Rip Jaws, I'm running a higher OC and the sticks are at stock timings and a tick higher speeds. NO BSOD ever, RAM never goes higher than 15% (usually around 10%- page file turned off as I have 16gb :kaola:  )

Just sounds like either software (drivers, BIOS), hardware (RAM), bad OC, or something incompatible.

EDIT: Consider putting high-end thermal paste on the CPU. Maybe the stuff on it is no good.
!