Force Windows 7 to leave a homegroup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I've got a couple of machines here running the RTM build of 7. Machine A was at another location when it was set up. At this other location, several other PC's (lets call them B, C and D) were also set up with 7 and a homegroup was created. Now at this new location, I wanted to create a new homegroup on the other machine (let's call this one machine E) and join machine A to it (B, C and D are still at the original location and never travel). When attempting to set up a new homegroup on Machine E, I was prompted for the password of the homegroup machine A was originally joined to. Not thinking anything of it, I grabbed the password from machine A and joined machine E. Now that I realize this won't work for me the way I want it to, I have been trying for about an hour to force Windows 7 on Machine E to leave the homegroup of machines A though D. Each time I do this, I get an error simply stating "Windows couldn't remove your computer from the homegroup". Changing the network type to Work and then attempting to leave yielded the same result, as has rebooting machine E several times.

Does anyone know of a way to force Windows 7 to leave a homegroup?

That's exactly what I tried. As i said in my original post, every attempt was met with the error message "Windows couldn't remove your computer from the homegroup". The UI based option doesn't seem to be working, so that's why I came here to see if anyone had found another way of forcefully removing a computer from a homegroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.