Closed

CPU Fan for Dimension 8200

I have a Dimension 8200 with a Pentium 4 2.8 Gig processor. Need a
replacement for the fan that cools the processor -- any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jim
12 answers Last reply
More about dimension 8200

    Jim,

    The cooling fan affixed to the back of the Dell chassis has a proprietary 3-pin
    connector. At the $14.95 price Dell Parts (tel: 1800-357-3355) charges for a
    replacement, why mess around? What you will receive is an entire assembly
    consisting of fan, mounting bracket and green shroud.

    Open up the case of your 8200 and look for the part number on the green shroud.
    It will be something like "CN-0D1592-70821-44E-A0KB". The part number to order
    in this case would be "D1592". Shipping via slow Airborne Express is free, or
    you can pay another $6.95 for priority shipping. Add sales tax for the state
    where you live.

    The 8200 ought to use the same fan assembly as the later Dell 8000 series boxes.
    If Dell Parts does not have the part for your 8200 and they cannot
    cross-reference it to a newer compatible part, order the D1592. The plastic is
    different, but the fan is the same, and all you really need is the fan... Ben
    Myers

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:09:09 -0500, "Jim Fell" <jameshfell@removecharter.net>
    wrote:

    >I have a Dimension 8200 with a Pentium 4 2.8 Gig processor. Need a
    >replacement for the fan that cools the processor -- any suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Jim

    Call Dell and ask for spare parts. If you use other than an OEM fan, you'll
    have to live with a "fan failure" bootup error each time you start the
    system.

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

    >Call Dell and ask for spare parts. If you use other than an OEM fan, you'll
    >have to live with a "fan failure" bootup error each time you start the
    >system.

    Edward,
    Does that happen with all replacement fans for Dell Computers. I'm looking
    into replacing my noisy Dell 8300 CPU fan with one from Zalman which is
    supposed to be much quieter. Would not want to have that "fan failure"
    message on each bootup.
    Charlie

    >"Jim Fell" <jameshfell@removecharter.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a Dimension 8200 with a Pentium 4 2.8 Gig processor. Need a
    >> replacement for the fan that cools the processor -- any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> Jim

    Charliec

    The typical Dell cooling fan attached to the back of a Dell chassis has a
    Dell-proprietary 3-pin connector to the motherboard. The "fan failure" bootup
    error is displayed by the Dell BIOS if it does not sense enough current flowing
    from the motherboard connector. If you don't want to deal with the error
    message and still use a Zalman fan, be prepared to graft the Dell connector onto
    the Zalman fan, do a little bit of soldering and use some electrical tape.
    Also, be extra careful removing the Dell fan from the four rubber grommets which
    hold the fan onto its plastic adapter and dampen the vibration caused by the
    fan.

    Or maybe Zalman or some other aftermarket fan manufacturer has a fan with a
    connector compatible with Dell? ... Ben Myers

    <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:414c7aef.15852598@news.charter.net...
    > The typical Dell cooling fan attached to the back of a Dell chassis has a
    > Dell-proprietary 3-pin connector to the motherboard. The "fan failure" bootup
    > error is displayed by the Dell BIOS if it does not sense enough current flowing
    > from the motherboard connector.

    Are you sure that is how the sensing works? I ask because I have read
    discussions about fan RPM monitoring, and these lead me to believe that
    many fans drive the third, RPM sense wire with digital pulses, with one or
    more pulses per fan revolution. The period of those pulses is measured
    via an LM79 or whatever, and if it is too long (indicating low or no RPM),
    appropriate action is taken.

    Your explanation is technically more accurate than mine... Ben

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:30:50 -0400, "Ted" <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:414c7aef.15852598@news.charter.net...
    >> The typical Dell cooling fan attached to the back of a Dell chassis has a
    >> Dell-proprietary 3-pin connector to the motherboard. The "fan failure" bootup
    >> error is displayed by the Dell BIOS if it does not sense enough current flowing
    >> from the motherboard connector.
    >
    >Are you sure that is how the sensing works? I ask because I have read
    >discussions about fan RPM monitoring, and these lead me to believe that
    >many fans drive the third, RPM sense wire with digital pulses, with one or
    >more pulses per fan revolution. The period of those pulses is measured
    >via an LM79 or whatever, and if it is too long (indicating low or no RPM),
    >appropriate action is taken.

    Yep.
    --
    Steve

    "Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message
    > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Call Dell and ask for spare parts. If you use other than an OEM fan,
    you'll
    > >have to live with a "fan failure" bootup error each time you start
    the
    > >system.
    >
    > Edward,
    > Does that happen with all replacement fans for Dell Computers. I'm
    looking
    > into replacing my noisy Dell 8300 CPU fan with one from Zalman which
    is
    > supposed to be much quieter. Would not want to have that "fan
    failure"
    > message on each bootup.
    > Charlie
    >

    > >"Jim Fell" <jameshfell@removecharter.net> wrote in message
    > >>I have a Dimension 8200 with a Pentium 4 2.8 Gig processor. Need a
    > >> replacement for the fan that cools the processor -- any
    suggestions?

    > >> Thanks!
    > >> Jim

    Yep, Dell managed to frag the aftermarket fan folks. The older Dell
    units had the standard 3 pin connector and sensing logic. Aftermarket
    "quiet-fans" would work just fine. Some of the newer Dell motherboards
    have a proprietary connector (also 3 pin - different plug shape) and
    different sensing logic. If you trade connectors (needle nose pliers
    and a pin to release each wire) the fan will work but the BIOS will
    burp at you. The aftermarket vendors have not yet caught on... I just
    had a conversation with a sales person from a company that sells ultra
    quiet fans and he had no clue to what I was asking. In time...

    AK

    "Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message news:<41519a64_7@corp.newsgroups.com>...
    > Yep.
    > --
    > Steve
    >
    > "Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message
    > > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Call Dell and ask for spare parts. If you use other than an OEM fan,
    > you'll
    > > >have to live with a "fan failure" bootup error each time you start
    > the
    > > >system.
    > >
    > > Edward,
    > > Does that happen with all replacement fans for Dell Computers. I'm
    > looking
    > > into replacing my noisy Dell 8300 CPU fan with one from Zalman which
    > is
    > > supposed to be much quieter. Would not want to have that "fan
    > failure"
    > > message on each bootup.
    > > Charlie
    > >

    > > >"Jim Fell" <jameshfell@removecharter.net> wrote in message
    > suggestions?

    FYI,
    I have a SilenX fan (the quietest I've ever (not) heard) connected to the
    motherboard on my 8300 (switched out the connector as described below), and
    I get no bootup error message. Also have added two more (one Silenx and on
    Papst) fans to assist with cooling, both connected to the power supply.
    Ultra quiet now, even when gaming, and cooler than before when it had the
    single loud Datech fan.
    GB

    "Adam K." <abigkahuna@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > Yep, Dell managed to frag the aftermarket fan folks. The older Dell
    > units had the standard 3 pin connector and sensing logic. Aftermarket
    > "quiet-fans" would work just fine. Some of the newer Dell motherboards
    > have a proprietary connector (also 3 pin - different plug shape) and
    > different sensing logic. If you trade connectors (needle nose pliers
    > and a pin to release each wire) the fan will work but the BIOS will
    > burp at you. The aftermarket vendors have not yet caught on... I just
    > had a conversation with a sales person from a company that sells ultra
    > quiet fans and he had no clue to what I was asking. In time...
    >
    > AK
    >

    > "Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message
    > > Yep.
    > > --
    > > Steve
    > >
    > > "Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message

    > > you'll
    > > the
    > > >
    > > > Edward,
    > > > Does that happen with all replacement fans for Dell Computers. I'm
    > > looking
    > > > into replacing my noisy Dell 8300 CPU fan with one from Zalman which
    > > is
    > > > supposed to be much quieter. Would not want to have that "fan
    > > failure"
    > > > message on each bootup.
    > > > Charlie

    > > suggestions?

    > > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    Thanks Gajejean!

    I'm ordering today. I will post back with results for the fan selected
    and a new Dell 4600 p4/2.8ghz/800mhz fsb/HT.

    AK.

    "Gajejean" <garbauc@nospamxearthlink.net> wrote in message news:<8Z%8d.6685$Vm1.3434@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
    > FYI,
    > I have a SilenX fan (the quietest I've ever (not) heard) connected to the
    > motherboard on my 8300 (switched out the connector as described below), and
    > I get no bootup error message. Also have added two more (one Silenx and on
    > Papst) fans to assist with cooling, both connected to the power supply.
    > Ultra quiet now, even when gaming, and cooler than before when it had the
    > single loud Datech fan.
    > GB
    >
    > "Adam K." <abigkahuna@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > > Yep, Dell managed to frag the aftermarket fan folks. The older Dell
    > > units had the standard 3 pin connector and sensing logic. Aftermarket
    > > "quiet-fans" would work just fine. Some of the newer Dell motherboards
    > > have a proprietary connector (also 3 pin - different plug shape) and
    > > different sensing logic. If you trade connectors (needle nose pliers
    > > and a pin to release each wire) the fan will work but the BIOS will
    > > burp at you. The aftermarket vendors have not yet caught on... I just
    > > had a conversation with a sales person from a company that sells ultra
    > > quiet fans and he had no clue to what I was asking. In time...
    > >
    > > AK
    > >

    > > "Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message
    > > > Yep.
    > > > --
    > > > Steve
    > > >
    > > > "Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message

    > you'll
    > the

    > looking
    > is
    > failure"

    > suggestions?

    > > > http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    > > > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
  11. This is my pathetic conversation regarding fan noise with DELL
    They were of NO help at all.
    FYI
    4:11:37 PM System System
    You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
    4:11:37 PM System System
    Connected with Jerome Dominic E
    4:11:42 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    Welcome to Dell US Chat! My name is Jerome Dominic and I will be your Dell.com Sales Chat Expert. I can be reached at us_con_sl_apos_chat@dell.com or via phone at 1-800-289-3355 ext. 7284516. How can I help you today?
    4:12:36 PM Customer jIM
    Hi Jerome,
    4:12:45 PM Customer jIM
    I am upset.
    4:13:19 PM Customer jIM
    I have been on the phone with DELL for nearly and hour now and am still on the phone.
    4:13:41 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    I'll be glad to assist you on that.
    4:13:55 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    may I know the problem Jim?ill do my best to help you
    4:14:05 PM Customer jIM
    I am looking for a fan to fix my Dimension 8200 not the cpu fan but the box fan
    4:14:40 PM Customer jIM
    part number BG0702=B043-POS
    4:15:16 PM Customer jIM
    THE fan is making a terrible noise. bearings are going out
    4:15:48 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    let me help you with that
    4:15:59 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    please give me a minute or two to check for a replacement one
    4:16:24 PM Customer jIM
    thanks
    4:16:59 PM Customer jIM
    this should be a replaceable 4pin replacement fan Not 3 pin
    4:17:36 PM Customer jIM
    it is a specific DELL part and cannot be replaced by third party fan. why would they do this?
    4:17:44 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    we have here a replacement Fan & Shroud Assembly
    4:18:02 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    please let me check if we have in stock
    4:18:07 PM Customer jIM
    nope you are seeing the same fan as your parts department.
    4:18:23 PM Customer jIM
    There is another fan that is NOT cpu related.
    4:18:35 PM Customer jIM
    no shroud, that is for cpu
    4:19:11 PM Customer jIM
    this is the centrifugal fan 12v .21a about 70mmx25mm
    4:19:28 PM Customer jIM
    made by Minebea
    4:19:45 PM Customer jIM
    This cools the circuit boards
    4:20:19 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    ok, let me check if we have that one
    4:20:27 PM Customer jIM
    it is mounted in the back of the box and also sends temp readings to the computer.
    4:21:06 PM Customer jIM
    if it didnt sent info back i could probably just aftermarket a fix but this is a DELL specific part
    4:21:33 PM Customer jIM
    Shurly you have heard of this noise issue and failure with the Dimension computer.
    4:21:43 PM Customer jIM
    it is all over the DELL chat board
    4:22:08 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    Thank you for waiting Jim
    4:22:12 PM Customer jIM
    please help!
    4:22:18 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    I do apologize however as per checking
    4:22:21 PM Customer jIM
    I really like this computer
    4:22:28 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    we dont have the said item
    4:22:28 PM Customer jIM
    thanks
    4:22:54 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    Here's what I can do for you though, I will be sending an email to our warehouse for that part. they usually respond within 24-48 hours if the part is available or not and will schedule you for a callback just to provide a feedback.
    4:23:04 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    or email notification
    4:23:06 PM Customer jIM
    someone, maybe ione of your gurus there knows what i should doi
    4:24:15 PM Customer jIM
    ok your parts guys could call me maybe you cand send this correspondence too. my phone 559-645-xxx
    4:24:42 PM Customer jIM
    i am sure these guys know of this issue
    4:25:09 PM Customer jIM
    part BG0702-B043-POS
    4:25:14 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    Thank you for understanding Jim
    4:25:50 PM Customer jIM
    ok Jerome please send them this to can you
    4:26:18 PM Customer jIM
    this discussion goes a long way to understanding what i am after
    4:26:27 PM Customer jIM
    casn you
    4:26:35 PM Customer jIM
    can you do that
    4:27:09 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    I do apologize we cannot send the email to them,what can we do is to update them to the item you need
    4:27:32 PM Customer jIM
    im depressed
    4:27:49 PM Customer jIM
    is there someone at your parts department i can talk with
    4:28:08 PM Customer jIM
    this is a problem with a lot of Dimension models
    4:28:49 PM Customer jIM
    My investigating this fix has consumed more than 5 hours today
    4:29:21 PM Customer jIM
    just a simple little proprietary fan what a waist of a day
    4:30:08 PM Customer jIM
    i remain hopeful your suggestion will wok ...but you know
    4:30:15 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    Im sorry Jim, the sysem that you have is one of the pioneer systems we have that why
    4:30:25 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    I understand you completely
    4:30:46 PM Customer jIM
    Ya Im a Pioneer all right
    4:31:07 PM Customer jIM
    Well i am looking at new computers
    4:31:37 PM Customer jIM
    Fixing the fan will go a long way in my decicision to by DELL again
    4:32:29 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    Sorry for the disappointment..
    4:32:34 PM Customer jIM
    Ok I gues this Pilgrim is headed into the sunset
    4:32:42 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
    I can make out why you feel like that
    4:32:42 PM Customer jIM
    thanks
  12. This topic has been closed by Aford10

Dell Processors CPUs Dimension Computers Product