Palm Zire 71 questions

March 18, 2005 12:18:04 AM

1. Does the touchscreen and battery fry after a period of 12-18
months?

Question 2. Is this review accurate? If this unit requires original
installs after the battery dies, and not a Hotsync then I might stay
with my VIIx. I wnat to get a newer color MP3 unit, but only if it
works as well as my VIIx which has been dropped a half dozen times and
still works.

This was my first venture into the PDA world and I am sorely
dissapointed. For starters the unit is rather large in terms of
thickness and adding a protective case only makes it worse. Also the
built in software is almost useless, necessitating 50-100 dollars worth
of software purchases just to get this thing to do what you want. And
lastly, the dirty little secret is that all your data, programs,
everything is lost when the battery dies and doing a hotsync will not
restore your programs you have to reinstall them from scratch. There is
no backup battery!!! I must have lost my data five times before giving
up on this piece of trash. Even when the PDA would warn me about power
consumption I would turn the unit off and plug it in the next day only
to have my data whiped again. I am very surprised that there are no
class action lawsuits over this, as I would never have purchased the
unit had I known of this flaw.

After having this unit for a month I went out and bought a Dell PDA and
have never looked back since. Unlike the Zire it does have a backup
battery, so my data is safe for extended periods. I will never buy
another palm product again.

If I am satisfied I might buy one on Ebay.

John

More about : palm zire questions

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:53:49 AM

<johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 1. Does the touchscreen and battery fry after a period of 12-18
> months?

I've had mine since December 25, 2004. Still working fine.

> Question 2. Is this review accurate? If this unit requires original
> installs after the battery dies, and not a Hotsync then I might stay
> with my VIIx. I wnat to get a newer color MP3 unit, but only if it
> works as well as my VIIx which has been dropped a half dozen
> times and still works.
>
> This was my first venture into the PDA world and I am sorely
> dissapointed. For starters the unit is rather large in terms of
> thickness and adding a protective case only makes it worse.

I got the Zire 71 to replace a Palm Pilot Professional, so the size wasn't an
issue for me. It's heavier, but not enough that I care about it. I don't use
the case, so that's not an issue for me. This is clearly a "your milage may
vary" issue. I don't have a problem with it, other may.

> Also the built in software is almost useless, necessitating 50-100 dollars
> worth of software purchases just to get this thing to do what you want.

I added one program, the Aero MP3 player. When I bought the unit it came with a
free mail-in to get an MP3 player hardware and software which turned out to be
an SD card, a USB card reader/writer, headphones, and a Real player for the
Zire. I'll have nothing to do with Real, so I looked around and found Aero,
which works fine. Other than that, I use the stock software without any
problems.

I suppose, again, YMMV. If you need to do something it won't, then I guess
you'd have to add stuff.

> And lastly, the dirty little secret is that all your data, programs,
> everything is lost when the battery dies and doing a hotsync will not
> restore your programs you have to reinstall them from scratch.

I've had the battery die once. Intentionally. I wanted to find out how it
behaved on a totally battery dead situation. On the next (what it thought was
it's first) HotSync after charging it, I just had to tell it it was my Zire from
among the four Palms the HotSync program knows about and all was golden. It
reinstalled everything, including the Aero player.

> There is no backup battery!!!

What do you mean by "backup battery" ?

If you ignore the power warnings, it eventually ignores power on attempts,
reserving what's left to retain data until you get it on a charger. This is
supposed to be able to hold data for a couple of days at least.

The only case I've heard of where this didn't work on ANY Palm (not specifically
a Zire) was where someone had installed third party software which overrode the
power saver logic and kept the unit running past it's no-go mark. In that case,
the user did indeed loose data over and over again until another use happened to
notice what was going on and point out the problem.

> I must have lost my data five times
> before giving up on this piece of trash. Even when the PDA would
> warn me about power consumption I would turn the unit off and plug
> it in the next day only to have my data whiped again.

I've never lost data anything. For that matter, the only time I've ever even
gotten a warning was when I knocked the plug out of the cradle and it wasn't
charging. I continued to use it normally the next day after getting the first
warning and charged it the next evening without any problems.

> I am very surprised that there are no class action lawsuits over this,
> as I would never have purchased the unit had I known of this flaw.

You either got one fouled up unit, or something you ran on it altered the power
saver logic.

> After having this unit for a month I went out and bought a Dell PDA
> and have never looked back since. Unlike the Zire it does have a backup
> battery, so my data is safe for extended periods. I will never buy
> another palm product again.

Again, specify what you mean by "backup battery."

> If I am satisfied I might buy one on Ebay.

And buy what on Ebay?

- Bill
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:54:09 AM

In article <1111123084.150115.277800@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
johnw_94020@yahoo.com wrote:

> 1. Does the touchscreen and battery fry after a period of 12-18
> months?
>
> Question 2. Is this review accurate? If this unit requires original
> installs after the battery dies, and not a Hotsync then I might stay
> with my VIIx. I wnat to get a newer color MP3 unit, but only if it
> works as well as my VIIx which has been dropped a half dozen times and
> still works.
>
> This was my first venture into the PDA world and I am sorely
> dissapointed. For starters the unit is rather large in terms of
> thickness and adding a protective case only makes it worse. Also the
> built in software is almost useless, necessitating 50-100 dollars worth
> of software purchases just to get this thing to do what you want. And
> lastly, the dirty little secret is that all your data, programs,
> everything is lost when the battery dies and doing a hotsync will not
> restore your programs you have to reinstall them from scratch. There is
> no backup battery!!! I must have lost my data five times before giving
> up on this piece of trash. Even when the PDA would warn me about power
> consumption I would turn the unit off and plug it in the next day only
> to have my data whiped again. I am very surprised that there are no
> class action lawsuits over this, as I would never have purchased the
> unit had I known of this flaw.
>
> After having this unit for a month I went out and bought a Dell PDA and
> have never looked back since. Unlike the Zire it does have a backup
> battery, so my data is safe for extended periods. I will never buy
> another palm product again.
>

> If I am satisfied I might buy one on Ebay.

This is such a bizarre review.

--No, the touchscreen and battery do not fry after 12-18 months.

--built-in software. The reviewer never says what kind of software he
would find useful. Surely he knew what was included in the device since
it's part of the product description.

--data goes when battery dies. Duh! Same thing will happen on the Dell
PDA. Programs stored in ROM do not go away when the battery dies, neither
do programs and data stored on expansion cards. Only stuff stored in RAM
would go away but they're easily restored at the next HotSync.

--turning off and plugging the unit in the next day should work.

Methinks the reviewer is lying.
March 18, 2005 9:56:28 AM

Guy Bannis wrote:
> --data goes when battery dies. Duh! Same thing will happen on the Dell
> PDA.

I don't know what Dell PDA that review is comparing to specifically,
but I have a Dell Axim X5 (which I never use and which has collected
a boat load of dust), and it has a main lithium battery to operate
off of, but it also has a small button battery (watch battery type
thing) save data in RAM while you're changing the main battery or
for when the main battery is totally dead.

Maybe other Dell PDAs are different, but at least one has a feature
where it doesn't lose data when the main battery dies.

- Logan
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 10:38:05 AM

In article <wYu_d.9889$Ux.570@tornado.texas.rr.com>, Logan Shaw
<lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Guy Bannis wrote:
> > --data goes when battery dies. Duh! Same thing will happen on the Dell
> > PDA.
>
> I don't know what Dell PDA that review is comparing to specifically,
> but I have a Dell Axim X5 (which I never use and which has collected
> a boat load of dust), and it has a main lithium battery to operate
> off of, but it also has a small button battery (watch battery type
> thing) save data in RAM while you're changing the main battery or
> for when the main battery is totally dead.
>
> Maybe other Dell PDAs are different, but at least one has a feature
> where it doesn't lose data when the main battery dies.

Batteries aren't forever. When the main battery dies, and the backup
battery dies, the data in RAM will be lost.

The only thing the backup battery does is buy you a little more time. But
if someone is prone to let their battery (main and backup) run dry, then a
backup isn't going to help.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:18:43 AM

Logan Shaw wrote:

> Guy Bannis wrote:
>> --data goes when battery dies. Duh! Same thing will happen on the Dell
>> PDA.
>
> I don't know what Dell PDA that review is comparing to specifically,
> but I have a Dell Axim X5 (which I never use and which has collected
> a boat load of dust), and it has a main lithium battery to operate
> off of, but it also has a small button battery (watch battery type
> thing) save data in RAM while you're changing the main battery or
> for when the main battery is totally dead.
>
> Maybe other Dell PDAs are different, but at least one has a feature
> where it doesn't lose data when the main battery dies.

I find myself wondering how much longer that button battery will hold the
data than will the main battery.

If you've already killed a _big_ lithium battery I don't see how a little
one is going to make much difference.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Hello, Logan Shaw !
You wrote:

> Guy Bannis wrote:
> > --data goes when battery dies. Duh! Same thing will happen on
the Dell
> > PDA.
>
> I don't know what Dell PDA that review is comparing to
specifically,
> but I have a Dell Axim X5 (which I never use and which has
collected
> a boat load of dust), and it has a main lithium battery to
operate
> off of, but it also has a small button battery (watch battery
type
> thing) save data in RAM while you're changing the main battery
or
> for when the main battery is totally dead.
>
> Maybe other Dell PDAs are different, but at least one has a
feature
> where it doesn't lose data when the main battery dies.

And on the Palm side the Tungsten T5 doesn't require a backup
battery because it doesn't lose data at all when the battery dies
-- probably its best feature.
--
"It's a long story. And it ends with me on the roof of a
goddamned nuthouse on Route 128 doing a one-man tribute to the

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:33:31 PM

Hello, johnw_94020@yahoo.com!
You wrote:

> 1. Does the touchscreen and battery fry after a period of
12-18
> months?

No.

> Question 2. Is this review accurate?

Who's the reviewer you or somebody else? It reads more like a
rant than a review.

> If this unit requires original
> installs after the battery dies, and not a Hotsync then I might
stay

I've owned a number of Palm PDAs over the years and they all
restored their data automatically with just a single hotsync
after losing power. In fact, I'm not sure what the reviewer means
by "original install" since all Palm programs are installed by
hotsyncing unless they were already pre-installed.

> with my VIIx. I wnat to get a newer color MP3 unit, but only
if it
> works as well as my VIIx which has been dropped a half dozen
times and
> still works.
>
> This was my first venture into the PDA world and I am sorely

Is this part of the review too? First the reviewer claims that he
already had a Palm VIIx and now he appears to be claiming that
the Zire 71 was his "first venture into the PDA world" -- or is
he still talking about his VIIx? But if he's talking about the
unit which "worked so well," then why does he go on to trash it
so thoroughly?

> dissapointed. For starters the unit is rather large in terms of
> thickness and adding a protective case only makes it worse.
Also the
> built in software is almost useless, necessitating 50-100
dollars worth
> of software purchases just to get this thing to do what you
want. And
> lastly, the dirty little secret is that all your data,
programs,
> everything is lost when the battery dies and doing a hotsync
will not
> restore your programs you have to reinstall them from scratch.

This is simply not true.

> There is
> no backup battery!!! I must have lost my data five times before
giving
> up on this piece of trash. Even when the PDA would warn me
about power
> consumption I would turn the unit off and plug it in the next
day only
> to have my data whiped again. I am very surprised that there
are no
> class action lawsuits over this, as I would never have
purchased the
> unit had I known of this flaw.

It sounds like the unit he was talking about, whichever it was,
had a defective battery.

> After having this unit for a month I went out and bought a Dell
PDA and
> have never looked back since. Unlike the Zire it does have a
backup
> battery, so my data is safe for extended periods. I will never
buy
> another palm product again.

If you're worried about the battery get a Tungsten T5. It uses a
newer type of memory which survives a dead battery. Each model is
a little different and comes with different bundled software. For
example, Tungsten series Palms have always been bundled with a
copy of Documents to Go while Zire series Palms generally are
not. Any modern Palm will be able to play MP3s although depending
on the model, you may have to download an MP3 program like Real
Player or Pocket Tunes to get it to work.

You might want to check out overstock.com if you are looking for
a good deal.
--
"It's a long story. And it ends with me on the roof of a
goddamned nuthouse on Route 128 doing a one-man tribute to the
Three Stooges."
-- Art in "Eastern Standard Tribe"

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:44:12 PM

J. Clarke wrote:
> Logan Shaw wrote:

>>Maybe other Dell PDAs are different, but at least one has a feature
>>where it doesn't lose data when the main battery dies.

> I find myself wondering how much longer that button battery will hold the
> data than will the main battery.

Probably quite some time if all it's doing is powering the RAM
and nothing else.

Also, since we were discussing this, I just took a look at the
Dell device and it has some kind of warning on its screen that
the backup battery is getting low. It's a scary dialog with a
red background. If I were a dumb user, I would probably
understand that I should do something about it. (As it is, I'm
not planning to, since I have no important data on the device!)

- Logan
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 9:18:04 PM

In article <MrE_d.1662$ot.1658@tornado.texas.rr.com>, Logan Shaw
<lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Also, since we were discussing this, I just took a look at the
> Dell device and it has some kind of warning on its screen that
> the backup battery is getting low. It's a scary dialog with a
> red background. If I were a dumb user, I would probably
> understand that I should do something about it. (As it is, I'm
> not planning to, since I have no important data on the device!)

If a person is prone to ignore the warning that appears when the main
battery is getting low, he is just as likely to ignore the warning for the
backup battery.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 9:18:05 PM

1) Simply use BackupBuddy and backup to a SD card.
Even if you've never hotsync'd, you can simply recover from any
battery blackouts once you've charged it up and clicked on BB to restore
the system to where you left off - every program, setting, and data
restored just as you had it.
Autobackups are possible, too. (the dell won't help you if you've
entered data for a week, then broke it w/o sync'ing)

2) Zire 71 pretty much comes with everything for most people - music
player, docs to go - and the usual Palm scheduling & contacts software,
as well as their photo viewer for the camera. Does what a PDA should do
-- replace a paper organizer just peachy. It really does work just fine
for most users, so unless you need something much more, it's not lacking
much out of the box.

3) Battery in mine has been in there for a year and still going strong.
No problems yet.

In fact, it's almost impossible to lose all of your data on a Zire
71 w/o any backups if you plug it in within a few days after the battery
runs down to the point where the unit won't start up again!!!!

Why?

The Zire 71 has a feature where it will retain a little battery
power for use as memory backup when it has nearly run out, but it won't
let the unit start up. Thus, you actually have a few days after the
battery won't start up the unit of safety before you'll lose what's in
the Zire 71.

(naturally, if you buy a defective unit where this doesn't occur,
simply exchange it for a working Zire 71)

4) If you dump in mmplayer - the only addition most would want for
multimedia, you get full screen video playback easily and cheap. Simply
dump stuff into the usual Divx/Xvid converters out there for free, and
you can watch an entire 2 hour movie off any big SD card.

5) If you really wanted thin and small, you'd buy one of those Franklin
Rex Pro 6000 touch-screen PCMCIA sized organizers, or perhaps the latest
Fossil Wristwatch Palm PDAs. You can't get much smaller than these, and
they work great as a PDA. The latter, you'd rarely worry about dropping
because it's strapped to your wrist, too.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 11:04:10 AM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:03:07 -0800, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu>
wrote:

>5) If you really wanted thin and small, you'd buy one of those Franklin
>Rex Pro 6000 touch-screen PCMCIA sized organizers, or perhaps the latest
>Fossil Wristwatch Palm PDAs. You can't get much smaller than these, and
>they work great as a PDA. The latter, you'd rarely worry about dropping
>because it's strapped to your wrist, too.

I bought a Zire 72 to replace a Sony Clie S320. My Sony fit perfectly
in my dress shirt pocket when I needed it to. The Zire has no flip
cover so it needs a case of some kind and I had problems with the
finish flaking off so I had it replaced and bought a hard case which
made the whole thing too big to comfortably fit in my pocket. I've
gotten used to carrying it other ways but I probably would have tried
a Zodiac if I had known I'd end up with a big PDA. That said, I'm
happy with the performance and features of the Zire and would
recommend it with regard to getting good value.

Bob Kruse
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 11:48:49 PM

wow, that was good for a laugh.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 3:56:21 PM

I have had a Zire71 for two years, and it has always worked like an
absolute dream. I use a T5 now, but I still keep the Zire71 going as
a back up, and I also use its camera function sometimes (then beam to
the T5).

The T5 has more problems in many ways, such as the buggy power switch.
The Zire71 always feels more robust, and I like its little nudge-stick
thing.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 1:43:53 PM

In article <d1fc5o$mbd$1@news.service.uci.edu>, chiendh@uci.edu says...

> 2) Zire 71 pretty much comes with everything for most people - music
> player, docs to go - and the usual Palm scheduling & contacts software,
> as well as their photo viewer for the camera.

Not out of the box - most of the Zire 71's DON'T have Docs to Go. It's
usually an add-on. The 72 does include it though.

--
AG

Remove removes from address to remove anti-spam measures.
Alan Gauton E-Mail agauton @ postmaster.co.uk

Never for me the lowered banner, never the last endeavour!
(Damon Hill - 16th June 1999)
!