Why T-bird is so good at UT

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I recently found something rather interesting - it seems that UnrealTourney' also has core optimizations for 3DNow! while it remains unoptimized for either SSE or SSE2 - that could very well be another reason why Athlon CPU's have traditionally fared better than Intel's P4's in this benchmark scenario

The answer.

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

G

Do you have a link?

3DNow is very old now. I am surprised that SSE is not supported because it is only slightly newer than 3dnow and it found on way more machines than 3d now.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
rtfm!

<A HREF="http://unreal.epicgames.com/ReadMe.htm" target="_new">http://unreal.epicgames.com/ReadMe.htm</A>

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I think its a new translator =)

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Good post juin, It was clear and consise, whatever translator you are using stick with it.
PS: there are plenty of benchmarks/apps which are sse optimised but not 3dnow optimised, does this mean we should throw out all benchmark results?

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
This does not void the results of all benchmarks. However, it does make invalid any claims comparing the FPU of the Pentium 4 versus the FPU of the T-bird that relied on UT.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Good thing there are tons of other benchmarks which show the athlon fpu reaming the p4's fpu then huh. ;-).

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
wonder why this wasnt picked up much earlier... and why there isnt any comparible SSE in UT... SSE was around as well when UT was being made (and unreal too)

also... wonder if theres a way to disable 3dnow!

gotta be, just to keep the purists happy.

still a damn good game :)

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b><font color=red>Processor issues</font color=red>
Unreal contains special optimizations for the 3dNow! instruction set. These optimizations are automatically enabled when running Unreal on a 3dNow! equipped computer.</b>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.