Samsung or Toshiba Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradstone

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
hi :)

Actually i'm still searching for a laptop, after a LOT of research i put my eyes on these laptops, they have almost the same specs:

HP Pavilion DV6T DV6TQE (ATI HD 6770)
Lenovo IdeaPad Y560P (ATI HD 6570)
Satellite A665-S5183X (NVIDIA GT 540M)
SAMSUNG RF711-S02 (NVIDIA GT 540M)

all with core i7, the last two have a second generation cpu (sandy bridge) and they're faster.

as for the HP "Pavilions" i've been told that it has some heating issues, the lenovo is good and it has a great sound system (JBL), haven't tried a lenovo laptop so i'm a bit worried.

now i'm thinking of these two:

Satellite A665-S5183X
SAMSUNG RF711-S02

differences:
Samsung - Toshiba
screen: 17.3" - 15.6"
HDD: 750GB - 500GB
Resolution: 1600 x 900 - 1366 x 768
Memory: 4GB - 6GB
Weight: 2.8KG - 2.3KG
Bluetooth: Yes - No

The samsung is a little bit better in some specs -higher resolution and bigger hdd capacity- but toshiba is better in memory and speakers (which is very important to me, since i'm a hard rock fan lol :D ). i'm not sure that toshiba has the better speakers but i need to make sure that the speakers of samsung is as good as toshiba's in clarity and bass. one thing i don't like about the samsung laptop, the screen size is somewhat big.

so what do you think?
thanks in advance :hello:

Pobably the best advise is to go to a "real" store and compare the screens and sound.

Outside of that:
For reliability - Asus -> toshibia ...... -> HP, Not sure where samsung was. Bear in mind that was a year ago - things change.

Memory. With a few exceptions (highly dependent on software application) you will not see much diff between 4 and 8 gigs, so 4 -> 6 gigs probably not a issue. The 4 gigs will operate in daul channel mode, the 6 gigs will be in SINGLE channel mode (not a hugh diff in performance though). Down stream that will probably change and you may want to go to 8 gigs 2 x 4 gigs. In the Tosibia probably have a 4 gig and a 2 gig so would only need to change. one stick - the samsung may have 2 x 2 gig sticks and you would need to replace both.

HDD This greatly favors the Samsung, and not because of the size. The Samsung has 2 HDD bays and the toshibia only has one (Contacted toshibia - the ONLY Laptop with daul drive bays is their 18" monster (@ about 10lbs LOL).
Reason - The HDD is the one of the biggest bottleneck (the other is GPU, but that is only if your into heavy gaming). An SSD blows the doors off of a HDD. While you may not get today, you probably will down stream - they are expensive (hopefully will drop) and they are SMALL. A 120 gig SSD will set you back about 100 quid. Ideally you put the operating system + programs on the SSD, but if you also want storage space you would still want the HDD - Reason I recommend 2 drive bays. I also do NOT recommend buying the laptop with an SSD, they tend to overcharge and/or stick a crappy one in.

Samsungs SB come in 4 versions, RF511- S01 and S02 and the RF711- S01 and S02. the "5" denotes a 15.6 in screen and the "7" is their 17" model. S01 = an i5 and S02 = a i7 CPU. You didn't mention but is the Toshiba also a SB i7

My last two laptops have been toshiba, But going for ither the Asus or the Samsung on my next buy.

bradstone

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Man thanks a lot!! your answer was helpful.
Yes this Toshiba model is a SB i7 that's why i'm thinking of it!
Sandy Bridge CPU, GT 540M GPU, Harman/Kardon Speakers! that's exactly what i'm looking for :D

On SSD, I stated 100 quid, For some reason what think UK, In US thats about 200 (Sata II)-> $300 (Sata III) dollars

On the speakers, I have the same ones in my toshiba A305. I replaced the HDD with and SSD and I replaced the DVD drive with a Blu-ray player/DVD writer. It came with 3 gigs ram which I replaced with 4 gigs.

almon

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
SO1 is i7 by the Samsung website, I am also about to buy Samsung Laptop. I am comparing with Toshiba Satellite P745-1002x and Samsung RF511-S01. My concern is the speed of Internet both wireless or using RJ45 ethernet port. Do you have an idea if 802.11bg/n is faster than 802.11agn? I am coparing their Wireless LAN. Also if Gigabit LAN is faster than 10/100Mbps ethernet LAN. Over all, what are the advantages of Toshiba compare to samsung that I have mentioned model? Thank you very much.

almon

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
I also want to ensure that graphics of samsung is better than toshiba with the specs. that I have given because I am using Autocad, MS project / primavera software. In terms of durability, which one do you think is more durable.Also the spare parts of the samsung laptop, do you think that the spare parts is saleable in the Philippines? Thank you very much in advance.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

Very interested in this part.

What models that you know of had 2 HDD bays ?

I know the HP dv7 series all do. Ive heard some dells do, but I dont know which models. Ive seen that some acers/gateways do also. Sometimes it tough getting direct answers from the manufacturers on exactly which models do or do not.

I have seen a few studies about support and service for Samsung and they rate higher than HP, dell, acer , and are even with sony, and lenovo, and just below toshiba, asus.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

you might want to start a new topic for this, you will get better results.

the wifi is the same, nobody uses "a" or "b" anymore, so dont worry about that.

on the wire LAN side, gigabit is 1000 Mbps as opposed to 10/100 which is 10 Mdbps or 100 Mbps, however

gigabit only works at 1000Mbps if you are connected to another gigabit device, otherwise it reverts back to 10/100. so unless you have a network at home with other gigabit devices, and do alot of transfering very large files or data, dont worry about that either

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

you will want to start a new thread for this one also, lol !!!

i lived in Mandaluyong for 10 years !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.