Looking for gaming laptop and 3D moddling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tearien

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
1. What is your budget?

~@2500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

most likely a 17

3. What screen resolution do you want?

I want 1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Most likely going to be a desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need?

Its going to be plugged in most of the time.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Gaming heavy. Rift, New Vegas, Starcraft 2, Dragon age 2, I want med-High to High settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

I want to start doing some 3D modeling, animation video editing and working on Flash

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Depends on cost of machine, I can go as low as 500G, I can always add more later, + if the machine have multi drive support.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

So far I'm thinking https://www.originpc.com, but any place that has quality work is fine, + if on west coast.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

A few years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Blue ray, read only.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Performance over brand.

13. What country do you live in?

USA, Washington State

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Why I want this machine?
I'm looking for a laptop I can do some Indie style game programing on, 3D modeling, Flash and animation.

I'm looking at getting a GeForce GTX 485M. If I can find a place that I can get a single one, then SLI it later on then I'll be happy as a clam.

Man I wish I could just get a laptop case/mobo and just do the rest myself....but desktop mentality has no place in laptop land. Prebult machines frighten me though!

cbrunnem

Distinguished

it does use the first gen i7 but those are desktop first gen i7's lol. not to mention they are hexacore i7's which is just as good as the 2920xm

I'd recommend a Clevo P170HM or P170HM-PS1. You will find Clevo laptops sold under various brand names such as Sager, WindowPC, FalcolnNorthwest, etc. Read more about them and find dealers here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

17.3" 1920 x 1080 Full HD (16:9) LED Backlit Glare Type Display
Intel Core i7-2820QM Processor, 2.3 GHz, 8MB Smart Cache
IC Diamond Thermal Compound on CPU + GPU
8GB, PC3-10600/1333Mhz DDR3 - 2 x 4GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470M w/1.5GB GDDR5
120GB Intel 510 SERIES SATA III Solid State Drive
500/7200rpm GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Drive w/4G SSD Memory
6x Max. Blu-Ray Reader / 8x Max. DVD±R/2.4X Max. +DL Super-Multi Drive
Windows 7 Professional Edition 64-bit
8 Cells Lithium-Ion Battery Pack 76.96WH
Intel Advance-N 6230 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Combo
1 Year Premium Parts Warranty + 3 Year Labor
Built-In 2.0M Pixels Digital Video Camera
Built-In Fingerprint Reader
Built-In Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Built-In 9-IN-1 Flash Memory Reader(MMC/RSMMC/MS/MS Pro/MS DUO/SD/Mini-SD/SDHC/SDXC)
1 IEEE-1394a Fire Wire
2 USB 2.0 Ports
2 USB 3.0 Ports
1 eSATA Port
1 HDMI Output
1 DVI-I Port
1 CATV Port
1 Kensington Lock Port
Built-in Microphone, 4 Speakers and 1 Sub-Woofer
4 Audio Jacks for Headphone, Microphone-In, S/PDIF-Out, and Line-In
1 100/240V Autoswitch AC Power Adapter
Standard Carrying Case with Strap

Should run ya between $2470 and $2550 with all those customizations above .... (base price is around $1680

cbrunnem

Distinguished

yes i would agreed with what your saying but that is purely gaming and he states that he is going to start doing 3d modeling and i assume rendering which is where the hexacores will prevail.

zkevwlu

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
If you don't need it in a rush I would wait for a decent Llano powered laptop. While I am no fan of AMD CPUs I do believe mobile bulldozer has a slight edge over the mobile sandy bridge in terms of performance and power consumption. Only downside is that I can't find one on the market to link you.

Status
Not open for further replies.