Who uses what?

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Ok, so I've seen quite a few people debating AMD and INTEL. So lets just all state our opinion fair and simple. No Trolling. Just a simple post. AMD or Intel.
Just let us know which you are using now.
Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yahiko81 on 10/02/01 11:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Currently using an AMD Athlon 1.13GHz.
Soon to be an Athlon XP 1800 (1.53GHz) :wink:

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Athlon 1.33GHz. Will probably switch to 2x(fastest SMP-certified Athlon) once the 760MPX is out.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I suppose if you want you can add what you want to buy in the future.

Thanks for not Trolling.

I would like to keep this troll free.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This has been done before.

System 1 - AMD Tbird
System 2 - Intel Celeron 450
System 3 - Intel Pentium MMX 200
System 4 - Intel Pentium MMX laptop at 266

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
In that case, I suppose I'll post all my other boxen as well.

Gateway/Firewall -- AMD 5x86-133 (the souped-up 486), unknown chipset. Has logged way too many Nimda victims since I got cable internet set up...
Test/DevBox -- Dual PII-450, 440BX. New, potentially unstable software gets its first test on this box.
Fileserver -- Dual PPro-200, 430FX. Just a fileserver...
Road Warrior -- PIII-750, 440BX. Just a laptop...

Hell, I figure I might as well post the problems I've had with each system.

Athlon 1.33GHz -- Had to hand-pick IRQs for some devices, otherwise the Adaptec 2940AU wouldn't post stable.
Gateway/Firewall -- Interesting, no problems whatsoever.
Test/DevBox -- Matrox G450 has a habit of locking up video when switching consoles in XFree86 4.1.0. No problems running 4.0.3 though.
Fileserver -- the 430FX chipset is slightly buggy in that it sometimes configures IDE devices to some out-of-spec transfer mode. I have to manually tune secondary master to PIO mode when I connect a CD-ROM.
RoadWarrior -- GAAAAH, Compaq sucks. Crappy Phoenix NoteBIOS has absolutely zero tweaking options. DVD drive causes boot to take forever if there's a DVD in the drive. The thing doesn't support APM properly (though it does support ACPI). Crappy PCMCIA slot sometimes causes an IRQ storm (which the kernel complains about but generally handles fine).

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeup, agreed.

First family computer - 386, built by Intel, Win 3.1
First own computer - 386, don't remember who built it, DR DOS
Second family computer - IBM P120, Win95a
Third (current) family computer - Dell P3 866, WinME --> W2k
Second (current) own computer - Homemade 1.2 AMD, W2k
Third (backup/server) own computer - Homemade Duron 800, W2k

Future computer - Looks to be a Northwood, although that could change

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Dell P3 850
Dual boot- Mandrake 8.0, Win 2k (Pirated).

Athlon 1200@1333
Dual boot- Win 98 (Pirated), Win 2k (Pirated)

P2 Laptop - "The War Driver"
Dual boot- Win98, Linux Mandrake 8.0 (AirSnort)

Several other Linux boxes with varying CPUs, including one PowerPC (Macintosh 7200/75), running Linux PPC Q4 2000 release.

I will be constructing a Dual Athlon 1.2 GHz server running Linux (haven't decided distro), What's that I hear about MPX? When will it be out (b4 December?)

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
My history:

386 (bought)
P200mmx (built)
K6-2 400MHz (built)
Duron 700 (built)
TBird 1200 (just CPU upgrade)

Breaking news: Intel hit by a SledgeHammer! AMD to blame! More in just a moment...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, first computer was a 486DX 33MHz then an Intel Pentium 133MHz then an AMD K6-2 450MHz (that's when AMD's K6-2 was considered the first respectable alternative to Intel), and a 1.2GHz Athlon (overclocked to 1.4GHz). I'd go with Intel again if they reduce prices and introduce a clockless processor to the public.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
No, I mean a clockless CPU that works that has different parts working asyncronously. Since it isn't following a single clock speed, it would have to be measured in MIPS and MFLOPS. Also this would allow Intel or even AMD to release a CPU specifically designed to excel in certain tasks while mantaining a good overall price. Intel could, for example, have an asyncronous CPU that has a top of the line FPU with a previous generation ALU and sell it for a cheap price. What a clockless CPU is, is a processor that runs each of it's parts at different speeds. Um, I don't remember where I read about them, perhaps someone has a link? However, I don't think this will happen before, say...5 years.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Intel of course. :)

Current best personally owned system:

Pentium 4 Northwood 2.0GHz running at 2.66GHz using a 533MHz FSB (133MHz external clock) with Samsung PC800 memory running at PC1066 for 4.266GB/s of memory bandwidth.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Pentium 4 Northwood 2.0GHz
Why must you mock us so?

I have a PIII 550.

Edit: If you don't mind me asking Raystonn, how stable is your Northwood using a 533MHz FSB?

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by somerandomguy on 10/03/01 01:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"how stable is your Northwood using a 533MHz FSB?"

Perfectly stable. The PCI bus and AGP port are running within specifications; not overclocked. I could attempt to overclock those as well, but I'd rather not risk data corruption on my hard drive.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
That depends on how well your motherboard supports a 533MHz memory bus, if you can set your PCI/AGP to run within specifications, and how good your processor really is. I have not looked very closely at the yields on most of the Willamettes, but you would want to make sure you had the latest stepping. I would have to say give it a try. It would certainly make a good story/review, no matter the outcome. I am surprised no reviewers have attempted this, or at least reported a failed attempt. Many current motherboards claim to be able to go up to 2.2GHz, so a Pentium 4 1.6GHz might even work. In fact, that might be a newer part...

-Raystonn

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Due to my own curiosity I have already run all the standard benchmarks on this system. However, due to legal (and competitive) issues, I cannot release the results. :(

-Raystonn

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
However, due to legal (and competitive) issues, I cannot release the results.

Oh well, never mind.

You know, there actually was a review in which they put a different clock generator on a P4 motherboard (something like that anyway) and ran it with a 533Mhz FSB. I'll see if I can find it for you.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."