Widows 7 home premium and IE 8 issues

Texasturkey

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
My wifes computer has been acting up for about a week now. IE 8 is not loading properly and is crashing. I am unable to connect to MSE to get updates or to Windows to get updates. I have run Malwarebytes and Emsisoft and neither one can find a bug. Chrome works for a while and the she gets the AW SNAP message. I figure she has a bug but I have not found it yet any suggestions would be helpful
Thanks

What do you mean the "AW SNAP" message? I know this is something you probably just made up to fill the gap of an error message coming up. Does it actually come up with a legitimate error? If so, what is it?

What is the make/model # of your computer?

You can use either CPU-Z or Speccyhttp://www.piriform.com/speccyhttp://www.piriform.com/speccy to take the guess work out for you.

Is this a new install or one that has been around a while?

You mentioned that Chrome works for a while? What is the last thing that is done before Chrome stops working?

Texasturkey

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

No I did not make that up. Chrome actually gives you a grey screen with the message of AW SNAP. This is a wonderful Emachines with an AMD Athlon II. It has been running fine for over about 14 months. Just in the last week it has started acting up. I just downloaded MSE unto a thumb drive and installed it but it is unable to get any updates. I ran it with the definitions included with todays down loads and it found a trojan (Surefire) and a java bug. Deleted them and restarted and it is still not working. The chrome issue happens at various times and on various sites.

Texasturkey

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

windows fix it report
Proxy :
Last Installed Update :,
Last Displayed Error :2013-02-03 11:48:22:777 3888 f28 COMAPI - WARNING: Exit code = 0x80070424
Language settings :en-US
bits :
wuauserv :
WORKGROUP :WORKGROUP
Windows Update Agent Version : Not Found
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP: 1
CPU Type : x64
OS Architecture :64-bit
RES_GenWUWError : Bits is not stopped
RES_GenWUWError : wuauserv is not stopped
RES_GenWUError : CryptSvc is stopped
RES_GENWUError : : CryptSvc Running
Fix-Service Warning: Service bits not found.
Fix-Service Warning: Service wuauserv not found.

Texasturkey

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

I am ex -Navy and we dont abandon ship so easily. I will eventually track this down. I am just getting tired of hearing my wife complain.

Texasturkey

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

Nah I think it only has one or two. Something similar happened about 8 months ago and I finally tracked it down. Sent it to Emsisoft and 2 days later Kaspersky had a autofix for it

Texasturkey

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

Tried that. That is where I got the report from. The site is not letting me post the long drawn out report. Basically fix it says there is a problem but it can not fix it. Typical Microsoft.

Texasturkey

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

I tried that one but it did the same thing. I am thinking rootkit critter

Try the manual fix for it listed in the same link.

Remember, time is important. In the business world, if you can't fix it in an hour or a little over an hour, you need to reimage, and that's not even when you're talking about viruses and malware. There is a point of diminishing returns, and the hour mark is pretty-close to that that mark.

Texasturkey

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

She uses it for working on-line and the IT department says there is nothing wrong with it. As long as it is not causing an issue with work she is fine with just complaning to me. She wont let me pull the hard drive and hookit up to do a really good scan on it.

I'm really surprised that they let her be a local admin.
Regardless, it is the turkey IT dept,'s job to resolve issues, not the end-user's job.
They should not be allowed to do anything.

If she is strictly a home user, I would call the help desk and say that you want your computer/laptop reimaged and arrange a time. They should not give you a problem as long as you schedule a time ahead of time. I worked in Desktop Support for many years at a very large corporation and we would do this for home users. Of course if it didn't boot up, then it would be an emergency and no planning was necessary.

If M$ updates aren't working, that typically indicates that there is a problem with Windows not being able to confirm it as genuine hence causing issues within the OS and with updates.

Now I'm not saying that your copy of Windows is rogue or pirated or anything like that. I've known some completely legitimate installs have reported issues like this and it was a form of rogueware on the computer.

Kaspersky has a root-kit detector that you can run on the computer, found HERE . It is good at detecting those root-kits that other programs miss.

Texasturkey

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

they are not real bright. They have her firewall turned off and it really bugs me. i keep having to run scans and I know that she is picking stuff up off of facebook. This is her personal computer not a company computer so we should be able to protect it but if I do they can not access it and she can not run their programs. So in the mean time I just continue on with the search and destroy mission

Wait a second, this computer is something used for a business entity? (Sorry just looked up after noticing what you just said)

They must not value their (the business) or your (you and your wife's) data very much. Biggest red flag in the industry is to be using a computer for business matters and not have it adequately protected....that is unless she is connecting to their systems through a vpn or something and then it would be a whole new bag of tricks.

Typically when someone works from home and they are "remoting" in to the company's intranet or whatnot, there are always requirements such as running their AV and protection software and such. It would also appear that they have no clue what they are doing if they don't know how to configure the end users computer to work with their programs and the protection the end user chooses.

Latest posts