These threads sure seem to be popular around this time of year eh? Here we go:
1. What is your budget?
around $1000 give or take
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I'm thinking a 15', but it doesn't matter too much. Just no 17 inchers.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Once again, doesn't matter to me.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable. I have a Phenom II 955 and Radeon 5850 desktop that I game on at home.
5. How much battery life do you need?
Minimum 3 hours. This is probably the most important aspect to me.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Gaming would be nice. If I could play Bad Company 2, Mass Effect, Borderlands, and Battlefield 3 around medium settings, that would be nice, but I can make do with low.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Movies, notes, gaming, programming, and music on occasion.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
It's unimportant to me. I've had to make do with a 30GB before, so any size is a huge step up.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I'm currently looking at this one, but I'd be happy with other suggestions. Also, does anyone know what the battery life on it is? I can't seem to find it. link!
But to be honest, I really have no idea. newegg and NCIX are two other preferred sites.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4 years. I know that I will be unable to play new games on it without cranking the settings down, and some won't play at all, but I accept that
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'll take anything if you guys recommend it.
13. What country do you live in?
I'm from the great white north! (Canada). Please keep in mind that shipping, duty and taxes will kill me on items bought outside of Canada.
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
As previously stated, I don't need a gaming powerhouse, all I want is a notebook mainly for school that I can game on occasionally while on the go. Also, I can wait until September if you think something way better than what is on the market is coming out.
that laptop should get a tad over 4 hours on the battery as i have a laptop with the same cpu and gpu. but that laptop should play all the games well with maybe the exception of battefield 3. that will be hard to tell though.
that is with mediumish screen brightness and powersaver mode on. also that was probably with 5ish tabs open in chrome. just make sure you have the optimus settings set right. ie you have most programs using the intel hd3000 gpu.