Odd Druid animal companion question

Last response: in Video Games
April 15, 2005 3:47:00 AM

Druids are restricted from wearing metal armour. Would it violate that
restriction for a druid to equip his animal companion with metal barding
(specifically chain shirt)?

--
Mark.
Anonymous

Mark Blunden <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> wrote:
> Druids are restricted from wearing metal armour. Would it violate that
> restriction for a druid to equip his animal companion with metal barding
> (specifically chain shirt)?

There's no rule against it, but some players might feel that it goes
against the spirit of the restriction.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Mark Blunden wrote:
> Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> > Mark Blunden <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> wrote:
> >> Druids are restricted from wearing metal armour. Would it violate
> >> that restriction for a druid to equip his animal companion with
> >> metal barding (specifically chain shirt)?
> >
> > There's no rule against it, but some players might feel that it
goes
> > against the spirit of the restriction.
>
> I think I'll compromise on studded leather. I'm sure it could be
studded
> with darkwood or something instead of metal.

If he has cash to burn, he can always use dragonscale.

Laszlo
April 15, 2005 12:12:20 PM

Clawhound wrote:
> Mark Blunden wrote:
>
> > Druids are restricted from wearing metal armour. Would it violate
that
> > restriction for a druid to equip his animal companion with metal
barding
> > (specifically chain shirt)?
> >

> If the druid had a follower who was a fighter, would the fighter
wearing
> metal armor violate the druid's restrictions? No. Of course not. Only

> the druid is bound by his restrictions. The same should hold true for

> animals.
>
> Do remember that druids can wear metal armor, but they lose
abilities.
> How a druid would lose abilities if a bear wore armor is beyond me.

I'd probably rule that the druid's Share Spells ability wouldn't work
on a companion wearing metal armor.

RAW? Not in the slightest. But I think it's a plausible, appropriate,
and elegant restriction.

Laszlo
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:25:23 PM

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> Mark Blunden <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> wrote:
>> Druids are restricted from wearing metal armour. Would it violate
>> that restriction for a druid to equip his animal companion with
>> metal barding (specifically chain shirt)?
>
> There's no rule against it, but some players might feel that it goes
> against the spirit of the restriction.

I think I'll compromise on studded leather. I'm sure it could be studded
with darkwood or something instead of metal.

--
Mark.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:35:33 PM

Mark Blunden wrote:

> Druids are restricted from wearing metal armour. Would it violate that
> restriction for a druid to equip his animal companion with metal barding
> (specifically chain shirt)?

If the druid had a follower who was a fighter, would the fighter wearing
metal armor violate the druid's restrictions? No. Of course not. Only
the druid is bound by his restrictions. The same should hold true for
animals.

Do remember that druids can wear metal armor, but they lose abilities.
How a druid would lose abilities if a bear wore armor is beyond me.

CH
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:43:26 PM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:35:33 GMT, Clawhound scrawled:

> If the druid had a follower who was a fighter, would the fighter wearing
> metal armor violate the druid's restrictions? No. Of course not. Only
> the druid is bound by his restrictions. The same should hold true for
> animals.
>
> Do remember that druids can wear metal armor, but they lose abilities.
> How a druid would lose abilities if a bear wore armor is beyond me.
>
> CH

Probably because the Druid class is based on shamanistic traditions - most
cultures with shamans don't tend to have metal armour.
Not to mention that there needs to be *some* counterbalance for their
power.

I can see how it would seem against the whole concept of how a Druid lives
to put armour on an animal companion as well. Other classes are probably
thought of as treating animals as lesser beings, or as tools - thus not
worrying about burdening them with such things as armour. A Druid,
treating animals as equals, would have some misgivings about it -
especially when there are plenty of spell combinations that have greater
benefit.

Though no, I still can't see any real reason why a Druid should lose
abilities. I could agree with it blocking such things as animal empathy
(it could frighten or intimidate animals) or shapeshifting, but not the
spellcasting. If you look at the Quintessential Druid (or was it master of
the wild?) there are some good ideas about Druids crafting their own
armour.

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:45:15 PM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:43:26 GMT, Rexx Magnus scrawled:

>> Do remember that druids can wear metal armor, but they lose abilities.
>> How a druid would lose abilities if a bear wore armor is beyond me.
>>
>> CH

Bad form and all, but I must apologize - I misread that statement as if he
wore armour, rather than a bear wearing it!
The other bit (about the principle of it) still stands though - but I
wouldn't say that they should lose any abilities, just feel bad about it!

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:45:16 PM

Rexx Magnus wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:43:26 GMT, Rexx Magnus scrawled:
>

>>>Do remember that druids can wear metal armor, but they lose abilities.
>>>How a druid would lose abilities if a bear wore armor is beyond me.
>>>
>>>CH
>

> Bad form and all, but I must apologize - I misread that statement as if he
> wore armour, rather than a bear wearing it!
> The other bit (about the principle of it) still stands though - but I
> wouldn't say that they should lose any abilities, just feel bad about it!

Principal I understand. That part was clear and well explained. I liked
your view. That would work well as a in-game explanation.

We'll alway have problems vis-a-vis the rules as written vs. the
intentions of the rules. This is a good example of that. The RAW allows
it, but it flows against the theme of the class.

CH
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:48:45 PM

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> Clawhound wrote:
>
>>Mark Blunden wrote:
>>

>>>Druids are restricted from wearing metal armour. Would it violate
>
> that
>
>>>restriction for a druid to equip his animal companion with metal
>
> barding
>
>>>(specifically chain shirt)?
>>>

>>If the druid had a follower who was a fighter, would the fighter
>
> wearing
>
>>metal armor violate the druid's restrictions? No. Of course not. Only
>

>>the druid is bound by his restrictions. The same should hold true for
>

>>animals.
>>
>>Do remember that druids can wear metal armor, but they lose
>
> abilities.
>
>>How a druid would lose abilities if a bear wore armor is beyond me.
>

> I'd probably rule that the druid's Share Spells ability wouldn't work
> on a companion wearing metal armor.
>
> RAW? Not in the slightest. But I think it's a plausible, appropriate,
> and elegant restriction.
>
> Laszlo

Good observation! I hadn't thought of that.

CH
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 9:38:46 PM

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Mark Blunden wrote:
>> Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
>>>
>>> There's no rule against it, but some players might feel that it goes
>>> against the spirit of the restriction.
>>
>> I think I'll compromise on studded leather. I'm sure it could be
>> studded with darkwood or something instead of metal.
>
> If he has cash to burn, he can always use dragonscale.

Yeah, but you can't make it light, and I don't want to drop the animal
companion's speed. Also, since it won't be proficient with it, any armour
with an ACP will impact its attack rolls.

--
Mark.
Anonymous

Mark Blunden wrote:

>laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
>

>>Mark Blunden wrote:

>>>I think I'll compromise on studded leather. I'm sure it could be
>>>studded with darkwood or something instead of metal.
>>>

>>If he has cash to burn, he can always use dragonscale.
>>

>Yeah, but you can't make it light, and I don't want to drop the animal
>companion's speed. Also, since it won't be proficient with it, any armour
>with an ACP will impact its attack rolls.

There are a lot of armour option still open to a Druid. Chitin
(there a re a lot of giant insects in D&D), cord, bark, cloth, leather,
studded leather, shell, bone, magical stone perhaps, etc. Some of these
are ever real world solutions...

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

Mark Blunden wrote:

> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
>
>>Mark Blunden wrote:

>>>I think I'll compromise on studded leather. I'm sure it could be
>>>studded with darkwood or something instead of metal.
>>
>>If he has cash to burn, he can always use dragonscale.
>

> Yeah, but you can't make it light, and I don't want to drop the animal
> companion's speed. Also, since it won't be proficient with it, any armour
> with an ACP will impact its attack rolls.

He *could* use one of his feats (gained with every 3 additional hit
dice) and learn proficiency in it...

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:51:38 PM

Clawhound wrote:

> Rexx Magnus wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:43:26 GMT, Rexx Magnus scrawled:

>> Bad form and all, but I must apologize - I misread that statement as
>> if he wore armour, rather than a bear wearing it!
>> The other bit (about the principle of it) still stands though - but I
>> wouldn't say that they should lose any abilities, just feel bad about it!
>>

> Principal I understand. That part was clear and well explained. I liked
> your view. That would work well as a in-game explanation.
>
> We'll alway have problems vis-a-vis the rules as written vs. the
> intentions of the rules. This is a good example of that. The RAW allows
> it, but it flows against the theme of the class.

A dire badger in spiked plate armor is COOL, though...

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 5:16:57 PM

Werebat wrote:

> Clawhound wrote:
>
>> Rexx Magnus wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:43:26 GMT, Rexx Magnus scrawled:

>>> Bad form and all, but I must apologize - I misread that statement as
>>> if he wore armour, rather than a bear wearing it!
>>> The other bit (about the principle of it) still stands though - but I
>>> wouldn't say that they should lose any abilities, just feel bad about
>>> it!
>>>

>> Principal I understand. That part was clear and well explained. I
>> liked your view. That would work well as a in-game explanation.
>>
>> We'll alway have problems vis-a-vis the rules as written vs. the
>> intentions of the rules. This is a good example of that. The RAW
>> allows it, but it flows against the theme of the class.
>

> A dire badger in spiked plate armor is COOL, though...
>
> - Ron ^*^

I'll Say! But do you need a druid to do that? Someone else could dress
the badger up in this awesome armor. Why not a badgermancer? ;-)

-Tialan
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 1:14:39 AM

Tialan wrote:

> Werebat wrote:
>

>> Clawhound wrote:

>>> Principal I understand. That part was clear and well explained. I
>>> liked your view. That would work well as a in-game explanation.
>>>
>>> We'll alway have problems vis-a-vis the rules as written vs. the
>>> intentions of the rules. This is a good example of that. The RAW
>>> allows it, but it flows against the theme of the class.
>>

>> A dire badger in spiked plate armor is COOL, though...
>>
>> - Ron ^*^
>>

> I'll Say! But do you need a druid to do that? Someone else could dress
> the badger up in this awesome armor. Why not a badgermancer? ;-)

I'm thinking of the mutant dire wolverine steed in cyber armor on the
cover of one of the old editions of Gamma World... 4th?

Of course the perfect character to pull this off would be a gnome paladin.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 1:14:40 AM

Werebat wrote:

> Tialan wrote:
>
>> Werebat wrote:
>>
>>> A dire badger in spiked plate armor is COOL, though...
>>>
>>> - Ron ^*^
>>>

>> I'll Say! But do you need a druid to do that? Someone else could
>> dress the badger up in this awesome armor. Why not a badgermancer? ;-)
>

> I'm thinking of the mutant dire wolverine steed in cyber armor on the
> cover of one of the old editions of Gamma World... 4th?
>
> Of course the perfect character to pull this off would be a gnome paladin.
>
> - Ron ^*^

Now THAT would be Awesome.

Now you're reminding me of a character concept my brother once had:
Gnome Circus Acrobat flying in on a Dire Bat.

How do we work the spiked armor into THAT?

-Tialan
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:31:26 AM

Werebat wrote:

> Mark Blunden wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, but you can't make it light, and I don't want to drop the animal
> > companion's speed. Also, since it won't be proficient with it, any armour
> > with an ACP will impact its attack rolls.
>
> He *could* use one of his feats (gained with every 3 additional hit
> dice) and learn proficiency in it...

Better yet, just train the animal for war.

-Bluto
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:42:21 AM

Suddenly, Tialan, drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness and
exclaimed:

> I'll Say! But do you need a druid to do that? Someone else could dress
> the badger up in this awesome armor. Why not a badgermancer? ;-)

And if you're not a druid or a badgermancer, you can dress yourself up as a
badger, then put on the spiked armor....

--
Billy Yank

Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
Murphy: "Well I choose them."
Q: "That's NOT an option!"
M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
-Sealab 2021

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:42:22 AM

Billy Yank wrote:
> Suddenly, Tialan, drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness and
> exclaimed:
>

>>I'll Say! But do you need a druid to do that? Someone else could dress
>>the badger up in this awesome armor. Why not a badgermancer? ;-)
>>

> And if you're not a druid or a badgermancer, you can dress yourself up as a
> badger, then put on the spiked armor....

Sounds kinda kinky. ;-)

-Tialan
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 6:09:16 AM

Werebat wrote:
> Mark Blunden wrote:
>
>> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

>>> If he has cash to burn, he can always use dragonscale.
>>

>> Yeah, but you can't make it light, and I don't want to drop the
>> animal companion's speed. Also, since it won't be proficient with
>> it, any armour with an ACP will impact its attack rolls.
>
> He *could* use one of his feats (gained with every 3 additional hit
> dice) and learn proficiency in it...

True. But given that the animal in question is a deinonychus, I prefer
Multiattack. :)

--
Mark.
Anonymous

Mark Blunden wrote:
> Werebat wrote:
>
>>Mark Blunden wrote:

>>>Yeah, but you can't make it light, and I don't want to drop the
>>>animal companion's speed. Also, since it won't be proficient with
>>>it, any armour with an ACP will impact its attack rolls.
>>
>>He *could* use one of his feats (gained with every 3 additional hit
>>dice) and learn proficiency in it...
>

> True. But given that the animal in question is a deinonychus, I prefer
> Multiattack. :)

Ah, but a DEINONYCHUS in spiked full plate... Now THAT'S cool!

There's always his NEXT feat...

- Ron ^*^
!