Odd Druid animal companion question

Druids are restricted from wearing metal armour. Would it violate that
restriction for a druid to equip his animal companion with metal barding
(specifically chain shirt)?

--
Mark.
21 answers Last reply

    Mark Blunden <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> wrote:
    > Druids are restricted from wearing metal armour. Would it violate that
    > restriction for a druid to equip his animal companion with metal barding
    > (specifically chain shirt)?

    There's no rule against it, but some players might feel that it goes
    against the spirit of the restriction.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    Mark Blunden wrote:
    > Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
    > > Mark Blunden <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> wrote:
    > >> Druids are restricted from wearing metal armour. Would it violate
    > >> that restriction for a druid to equip his animal companion with
    > >> metal barding (specifically chain shirt)?
    > >
    > > There's no rule against it, but some players might feel that it
    goes
    > > against the spirit of the restriction.
    >
    > I think I'll compromise on studded leather. I'm sure it could be
    studded
    > with darkwood or something instead of metal.

    If he has cash to burn, he can always use dragonscale.

    Laszlo

    Clawhound wrote:
    > Mark Blunden wrote:
    >
    > > Druids are restricted from wearing metal armour. Would it violate
    that
    > > restriction for a druid to equip his animal companion with metal
    barding
    > > (specifically chain shirt)?
    > >

    > If the druid had a follower who was a fighter, would the fighter
    wearing
    > metal armor violate the druid's restrictions? No. Of course not. Only

    > the druid is bound by his restrictions. The same should hold true for

    > animals.
    >
    > Do remember that druids can wear metal armor, but they lose
    abilities.
    > How a druid would lose abilities if a bear wore armor is beyond me.

    I'd probably rule that the druid's Share Spells ability wouldn't work
    on a companion wearing metal armor.

    RAW? Not in the slightest. But I think it's a plausible, appropriate,
    and elegant restriction.

    Laszlo

    Mark Blunden wrote:

    > Druids are restricted from wearing metal armour. Would it violate that
    > restriction for a druid to equip his animal companion with metal barding
    > (specifically chain shirt)?

    If the druid had a follower who was a fighter, would the fighter wearing
    metal armor violate the druid's restrictions? No. Of course not. Only
    the druid is bound by his restrictions. The same should hold true for
    animals.

    Do remember that druids can wear metal armor, but they lose abilities.
    How a druid would lose abilities if a bear wore armor is beyond me.

    CH

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:35:33 GMT, Clawhound scrawled:

    > If the druid had a follower who was a fighter, would the fighter wearing
    > metal armor violate the druid's restrictions? No. Of course not. Only
    > the druid is bound by his restrictions. The same should hold true for
    > animals.
    >
    > Do remember that druids can wear metal armor, but they lose abilities.
    > How a druid would lose abilities if a bear wore armor is beyond me.
    >
    > CH

    Probably because the Druid class is based on shamanistic traditions - most
    cultures with shamans don't tend to have metal armour.
    Not to mention that there needs to be *some* counterbalance for their
    power.

    I can see how it would seem against the whole concept of how a Druid lives
    to put armour on an animal companion as well. Other classes are probably
    thought of as treating animals as lesser beings, or as tools - thus not
    worrying about burdening them with such things as armour. A Druid,
    treating animals as equals, would have some misgivings about it -
    especially when there are plenty of spell combinations that have greater
    benefit.

    Though no, I still can't see any real reason why a Druid should lose
    abilities. I could agree with it blocking such things as animal empathy
    (it could frighten or intimidate animals) or shapeshifting, but not the
    spellcasting. If you look at the Quintessential Druid (or was it master of
    the wild?) there are some good ideas about Druids crafting their own
    armour.

    --
    http://www.rexx.co.uk

    To email me, visit the site.

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:43:26 GMT, Rexx Magnus scrawled:

    >> Do remember that druids can wear metal armor, but they lose abilities.
    >> How a druid would lose abilities if a bear wore armor is beyond me.
    >>
    >> CH

    Bad form and all, but I must apologize - I misread that statement as if he
    wore armour, rather than a bear wearing it!
    The other bit (about the principle of it) still stands though - but I
    wouldn't say that they should lose any abilities, just feel bad about it!

    --
    http://www.rexx.co.uk

    To email me, visit the site.

    Rexx Magnus wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:43:26 GMT, Rexx Magnus scrawled:
    >

    >>>Do remember that druids can wear metal armor, but they lose abilities.
    >>>How a druid would lose abilities if a bear wore armor is beyond me.
    >>>
    >>>CH
    >

    > Bad form and all, but I must apologize - I misread that statement as if he
    > wore armour, rather than a bear wearing it!
    > The other bit (about the principle of it) still stands though - but I
    > wouldn't say that they should lose any abilities, just feel bad about it!

    Principal I understand. That part was clear and well explained. I liked
    your view. That would work well as a in-game explanation.

    We'll alway have problems vis-a-vis the rules as written vs. the
    intentions of the rules. This is a good example of that. The RAW allows
    it, but it flows against the theme of the class.

    CH

    laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

    > Clawhound wrote:
    >
    >>Mark Blunden wrote:
    >>

    >>>Druids are restricted from wearing metal armour. Would it violate
    >
    > that
    >
    >>>restriction for a druid to equip his animal companion with metal
    >
    > barding
    >
    >>>(specifically chain shirt)?
    >>>

    >>If the druid had a follower who was a fighter, would the fighter
    >
    > wearing
    >
    >>metal armor violate the druid's restrictions? No. Of course not. Only
    >

    >>the druid is bound by his restrictions. The same should hold true for
    >

    >>animals.
    >>
    >>Do remember that druids can wear metal armor, but they lose
    >
    > abilities.
    >
    >>How a druid would lose abilities if a bear wore armor is beyond me.
    >

    > I'd probably rule that the druid's Share Spells ability wouldn't work
    > on a companion wearing metal armor.
    >
    > RAW? Not in the slightest. But I think it's a plausible, appropriate,
    > and elegant restriction.
    >
    > Laszlo

    Good observation! I hadn't thought of that.

    CH

    laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    > Mark Blunden wrote:
    >> Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
    >>>
    >>> There's no rule against it, but some players might feel that it goes
    >>> against the spirit of the restriction.
    >>
    >> I think I'll compromise on studded leather. I'm sure it could be
    >> studded with darkwood or something instead of metal.
    >
    > If he has cash to burn, he can always use dragonscale.

    Yeah, but you can't make it light, and I don't want to drop the animal
    companion's speed. Also, since it won't be proficient with it, any armour
    with an ACP will impact its attack rolls.

    --
    Mark.

    Mark Blunden wrote:

    >laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    >

    >>Mark Blunden wrote:

    >>>I think I'll compromise on studded leather. I'm sure it could be
    >>>studded with darkwood or something instead of metal.
    >>>

    >>If he has cash to burn, he can always use dragonscale.
    >>

    >Yeah, but you can't make it light, and I don't want to drop the animal
    >companion's speed. Also, since it won't be proficient with it, any armour
    >with an ACP will impact its attack rolls.

    There are a lot of armour option still open to a Druid. Chitin
    (there a re a lot of giant insects in D&D), cord, bark, cloth, leather,
    studded leather, shell, bone, magical stone perhaps, etc. Some of these
    are ever real world solutions...

    --
    Tetsubo
    My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

    Mark Blunden wrote:

    > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
    >
    >>Mark Blunden wrote:

    >>>I think I'll compromise on studded leather. I'm sure it could be
    >>>studded with darkwood or something instead of metal.
    >>
    >>If he has cash to burn, he can always use dragonscale.
    >

    > Yeah, but you can't make it light, and I don't want to drop the animal
    > companion's speed. Also, since it won't be proficient with it, any armour
    > with an ACP will impact its attack rolls.

    He *could* use one of his feats (gained with every 3 additional hit
    dice) and learn proficiency in it...

    - Ron ^*^

    Clawhound wrote:

    > Rexx Magnus wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:43:26 GMT, Rexx Magnus scrawled:

    >> Bad form and all, but I must apologize - I misread that statement as
    >> if he wore armour, rather than a bear wearing it!
    >> The other bit (about the principle of it) still stands though - but I
    >> wouldn't say that they should lose any abilities, just feel bad about it!
    >>

    > Principal I understand. That part was clear and well explained. I liked
    > your view. That would work well as a in-game explanation.
    >
    > We'll alway have problems vis-a-vis the rules as written vs. the
    > intentions of the rules. This is a good example of that. The RAW allows
    > it, but it flows against the theme of the class.

    A dire badger in spiked plate armor is COOL, though...

    - Ron ^*^

    Werebat wrote:

    > Clawhound wrote:
    >
    >> Rexx Magnus wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:43:26 GMT, Rexx Magnus scrawled:

    >>> Bad form and all, but I must apologize - I misread that statement as
    >>> if he wore armour, rather than a bear wearing it!
    >>> The other bit (about the principle of it) still stands though - but I
    >>> wouldn't say that they should lose any abilities, just feel bad about
    >>> it!
    >>>

    >> Principal I understand. That part was clear and well explained. I
    >> liked your view. That would work well as a in-game explanation.
    >>
    >> We'll alway have problems vis-a-vis the rules as written vs. the
    >> intentions of the rules. This is a good example of that. The RAW
    >> allows it, but it flows against the theme of the class.
    >

    > A dire badger in spiked plate armor is COOL, though...
    >
    > - Ron ^*^

    I'll Say! But do you need a druid to do that? Someone else could dress
    the badger up in this awesome armor. Why not a badgermancer? ;-)

    -Tialan

    Tialan wrote:

    > Werebat wrote:
    >

    >> Clawhound wrote:

    >>> Principal I understand. That part was clear and well explained. I
    >>> liked your view. That would work well as a in-game explanation.
    >>>
    >>> We'll alway have problems vis-a-vis the rules as written vs. the
    >>> intentions of the rules. This is a good example of that. The RAW
    >>> allows it, but it flows against the theme of the class.
    >>

    >> A dire badger in spiked plate armor is COOL, though...
    >>
    >> - Ron ^*^
    >>

    > I'll Say! But do you need a druid to do that? Someone else could dress
    > the badger up in this awesome armor. Why not a badgermancer? ;-)

    I'm thinking of the mutant dire wolverine steed in cyber armor on the
    cover of one of the old editions of Gamma World... 4th?

    Of course the perfect character to pull this off would be a gnome paladin.

    - Ron ^*^

    Werebat wrote:

    > Tialan wrote:
    >
    >> Werebat wrote:
    >>
    >>> A dire badger in spiked plate armor is COOL, though...
    >>>
    >>> - Ron ^*^
    >>>

    >> I'll Say! But do you need a druid to do that? Someone else could
    >> dress the badger up in this awesome armor. Why not a badgermancer? ;-)
    >

    > I'm thinking of the mutant dire wolverine steed in cyber armor on the
    > cover of one of the old editions of Gamma World... 4th?
    >
    > Of course the perfect character to pull this off would be a gnome paladin.
    >
    > - Ron ^*^

    Now THAT would be Awesome.

    Now you're reminding me of a character concept my brother once had:
    Gnome Circus Acrobat flying in on a Dire Bat.

    How do we work the spiked armor into THAT?

    -Tialan

    Werebat wrote:

    > Mark Blunden wrote:
    > >
    > > Yeah, but you can't make it light, and I don't want to drop the animal
    > > companion's speed. Also, since it won't be proficient with it, any armour
    > > with an ACP will impact its attack rolls.
    >
    > He *could* use one of his feats (gained with every 3 additional hit
    > dice) and learn proficiency in it...

    Better yet, just train the animal for war.

    -Bluto

    Suddenly, Tialan, drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness and
    exclaimed:

    > I'll Say! But do you need a druid to do that? Someone else could dress
    > the badger up in this awesome armor. Why not a badgermancer? ;-)

    And if you're not a druid or a badgermancer, you can dress yourself up as a
    badger, then put on the spiked armor....

    --
    Billy Yank

    Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
    Murphy: "Well I choose them."
    Q: "That's NOT an option!"
    M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
    -Sealab 2021

    Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
    http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/

    Billy Yank wrote:
    > Suddenly, Tialan, drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness and
    > exclaimed:
    >

    >>I'll Say! But do you need a druid to do that? Someone else could dress
    >>the badger up in this awesome armor. Why not a badgermancer? ;-)
    >>

    > And if you're not a druid or a badgermancer, you can dress yourself up as a
    > badger, then put on the spiked armor....

    Sounds kinda kinky. ;-)

    -Tialan

    Werebat wrote:
    > Mark Blunden wrote:
    >
    >> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

    >>> If he has cash to burn, he can always use dragonscale.
    >>

    >> Yeah, but you can't make it light, and I don't want to drop the
    >> animal companion's speed. Also, since it won't be proficient with
    >> it, any armour with an ACP will impact its attack rolls.
    >
    > He *could* use one of his feats (gained with every 3 additional hit
    > dice) and learn proficiency in it...

    True. But given that the animal in question is a deinonychus, I prefer
    Multiattack. :)

    --
    Mark.

    Mark Blunden wrote:
    > Werebat wrote:
    >
    >>Mark Blunden wrote:

    >>>Yeah, but you can't make it light, and I don't want to drop the
    >>>animal companion's speed. Also, since it won't be proficient with
    >>>it, any armour with an ACP will impact its attack rolls.
    >>
    >>He *could* use one of his feats (gained with every 3 additional hit
    >>dice) and learn proficiency in it...
    >

    > True. But given that the animal in question is a deinonychus, I prefer
    > Multiattack. :)

    Ah, but a DEINONYCHUS in spiked full plate... Now THAT'S cool!

    There's always his NEXT feat...

    - Ron ^*^

Games Video Games