Lines on Laptop Screen when it gets hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

callowadmin

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hey guys.

My laptop is fine for about an hour, then as it starts to heat up I see lines form near the top...gradually they get worse (i.e. more lines) and the screen begins to "jump". This seems to coincide with heat and how long the laptop is on.

I have a docking station, and when i plug it in there everything is fine on my standard monitor. So, it is clearly something with the laptop monitor. Any idea what would cause this?

Thanks.

overheating the motherboard/graphics chip will def cause this. overheating wires that connect your screen to motherboard/video chip could also cause strange effects. But you're clearly dealing with overheating issue.

I'd recommend to get a can of compressed air and blow out all the air vents.
Make sure when you're running you laptop you aren't covering any air vents with clothing/hands/etc.
if all else fails, get a laptop cooling pad.

callowadmin

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Thanks, mate. I thought it was the graphics card, too. Took it apart last night....
I am going to reapply the thermal paste--looks like the manufacturer gunked it on there, and I'm wondering if it left a bridge where heats building up.

callowadmin

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I reapplied paste to the cpu and gpu, still have the same issue. The brightness is fine, so it's not an inverter, correct? Would an LCD bulb cause these problems?

The thing is, when I turn the laptop on it's fine for about an hour. Then gradually the lines creep in...the longer it stays on, the lines begin to "jump" and move as I noted. Would a bad bulb cause this? Also, when it is docked everything is perfect, which leads me to believe it's something in the laptop LCD. I'm just not sure what would cause this--bulb, inverter, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.