Background Music on IPod

My players and I like playing with some background music (so
we don't need to hear from those who hate in-game music).

The problem has always been that the wrong music plays at
the wrong time (battle music playing when they are exploring
a dungeon, or talking).

For the last couple of sessions, I have placed some of the
better tracks from different CD's onto my IPod, broken into
categories.

I have playlists for Exploring, Traveling, Combat, or
"Wondrous" situations. When the situation changes, so
does the music, quickly, with no fumbling for CD's.

Exploring and Traveling music is always played very low, as
a lot of discussion goes on when these activities are in
progress.

So far, we have used the exploring and combat playlists the
most. You have to be really picky with the tracks to make
sure the mesh together well.

You need to make sure you listen to the tracks to find out
if they change midstream. Sometimes a track that sounds like
it might be good background music goes into a dramatic crescendo.
Another thing you need to balance out is the individual volume
of he tracks. You don't want one song playing a lot louder than
the last.

Some of the CD's I have found useful:
Both Conan Movies - good combat music, lots of good exploring music
Raiders of the lost ark - some combat, exploring music.
Name of the Rose - dark, exploring music
Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon - great traveling music, some combat
there is one track, called Desert Capriccio, that really evokes a
desert in my mind.

Somewhat useful:
Troy, Gladiator,

Some not so useful
Harry Potter - Tracks are too "kiddy" sounding
LOTR - Most Tracks switch dramatically mid-stream

I would like to hear from others that are doing this, either with
an IPod, MP3 player, or PC.

decalod85 wrote:
> My players and I like playing with some background music (so
> we don't need to hear from those who hate in-game music).

<snip>

> I would like to hear from others that are doing this, either with
> an IPod, MP3 player, or PC.

I use some music files from Baldur's Gate 1&2 and Icewind Dale 1&2.
IIRC, they're plain mp3s and you just need to change the extension.
Or ... I might be wrong and I found them ripped somewhere. (*Shame on
me*)

You might also look for CDs of Jeremy Soule (the composer of all that
music.)

Silveraxe.

Silveraxe wrote:
> decalod85 wrote:
> > My players and I like playing with some background music (so
> > we don't need to hear from those who hate in-game music).
>
> <snip>
>
> > I would like to hear from others that are doing this, either with
> > an IPod, MP3 player, or PC.
>
> I use some music files from Baldur's Gate 1&2 and Icewind Dale 1&2.
> IIRC, they're plain mp3s and you just need to change the extension.
> Or ... I might be wrong and I found them ripped somewhere. (*Shame on
> me*)

A quick google search (should've done this before posting, I know,)
tells me that I was talking out of my ass.
I must've converted them sometime. The tools to do that are available
on the web.

Also, supposedly, Morrowind has audio tracks by the same composer.

Silveraxe.

decalod85 <decalod85@comcast.net> wrote:
> Some of the CD's I have found useful:
> Both Conan Movies - good combat music, lots of good exploring music
> Raiders of the lost ark - some combat, exploring music.
> Name of the Rose - dark, exploring music

Ooh, I didn't know that the Name of the Rose had a score available on
CD! That would rock.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

background "music"
Not even trying to say something "just to join in" - BUT on Tuesday
this week (12th April 05), our dm kept playing a MP3 file at certain
points of his new d20 Gammaworld campaign. It was the "piggy" scene
from Delieverance

(and yes, my cha is a mutated badger)

You may want to try Midnight Syndicate, and Thy Veils, though the Veils are
really hard to come by...
Yes, definitely give "Dungeons & Dragons: The Official Role-playing
Soundtrack" by Midnight Syndicate a try! Very simulating and appropriate
themes for all occasions!
T.H.

On 14 Apr 2005 18:06:15 -0700, "decalod85" <decalod85@comcast.net>
wrote:

><snipping good ideas>
>
>Some of the CD's I have found useful:
> Both Conan Movies - good combat music, lots of good exploring music
> Raiders of the lost ark - some combat, exploring music.
> Name of the Rose - dark, exploring music
> Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon - great traveling music, some combat
>there is one track, called Desert Capriccio, that really evokes a
>desert in my mind.
>
>Somewhat useful:
> Troy, Gladiator,
>
>Some not so useful
> Harry Potter - Tracks are too "kiddy" sounding
> LOTR - Most Tracks switch dramatically mid-stream
>
>I would like to hear from others that are doing this, either with
>an IPod, MP3 player, or PC.

WE used to have radio Rivendale playing
(http://www.radiorivendell.com/), but I hardly seem to get it anymore,
plus you can't select tracks. We use sound tracks from Alien(s),
Excaliber, LadyHawke (need to be a fan of Alan Parsons Project for
this), Hellraiser(s), and a lot of New Age music (Enya and especially
Tangerine Dream). Rarely, I'll pull up something different for an
effect (CCR- Run through the Jungle, Concrete Blonde-The vampire one,
and even Clash).
Loup Garou
--

grrr-arghhh...

"decalod85" <decalod85@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I would like to hear from others that are doing this, either with
> an IPod, MP3 player, or PC.

My DM popped in a Metallica CD, I think Ride the Lightening right
before we faced Lucifer in the Nine Hells.

Even though it is modern music, it really seemed to fit the situation.
A frantic combat against the "Lord of Darkness"

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 06:31:14 GMT, Silveraxe scrawled:

> A quick google search (should've done this before posting, I know,)
> tells me that I was talking out of my ass.
> I must've converted them sometime. The tools to do that are available
> on the web.
>
> Also, supposedly, Morrowind has audio tracks by the same composer.
>
> Silveraxe.

The ToEE ones are pretty good, too.

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.

On 15 Apr 2005 01:21:32 -0700, "Murf" <rob_murfin@hotmail.com> wrote:

>background "music"
>Not even trying to say something "just to join in" - BUT on Tuesday
>this week (12th April 05), our dm kept playing a MP3 file at certain
>points of his new d20 Gammaworld campaign. It was the "piggy" scene
>from Delieverance
>
>(and yes, my cha is a mutated badger)

I hadn't even thought about that. Maybe even some of the Westerns and
older War movies might have some good stuff.
Loup Garou
--

grrr-arghhh...

Loup-Garou wrote:

> On 15 Apr 2005 01:21:32 -0700, "Murf" <rob_murfin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>background "music"
>>Not even trying to say something "just to join in" - BUT on Tuesday
>>this week (12th April 05), our dm kept playing a MP3 file at certain
>>points of his new d20 Gammaworld campaign. It was the "piggy" scene
>
>>from Delieverance
>
>>(and yes, my cha is a mutated badger)
>

> I hadn't even thought about that. Maybe even some of the Westerns and
> older War movies might have some good stuff.
> Loup Garou

My godfather, who got me into D&D when I was a kid, used to rip sound
bites out of old movies with me and friends of mine at his place years
ago. We kept them all on an old Mac Plus, which I inherited when he
passed away four years ago. The thing doesn't work anymore, but
recently I got in touch with a group in Boston who say they can rip the
old wav files off the hard drive and put them all on a CD that I could
use in my PC and possibly put on an iPod. When things settle down
around here I'll be mailing it in. It'll be great to have bits from
such greats as The Hobbit, Legend, The Neverending Story, Labyrinth,
Evil Dead II, and various Monty Python and MST3K films, just for starters.

"I'LL SWALLOWYOURSOULSWALLOWYOURSOULSWALLOWYOURSOUL..."

"Swallow this!" *BOOM!*

Heh.

- Ron ^*^