SP2 Preinstalled

I have a relative (who does not live near me) who is thinking of
buying a Dell Dimension 2400 or 3000. They want to wait until Windows
XP Service Pack 2 comes preinstalled. Has anyone taken delivery on one
of those systems recently and has SP 2 been preinstalled (The relative
is not knowledgeable so I would not want them to try the upgrade
themselves) ?

Jerry

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:14:55 -0400, Jerome M. Katz wrote in

> I have a relative (who does not live near me) who is thinking of
> buying a Dell Dimension 2400 or 3000. They want to wait until Windows
> XP Service Pack 2 comes preinstalled. Has anyone taken delivery on one
> of those systems recently and has SP 2 been preinstalled (The relative
> is not knowledgeable so I would not want them to try the upgrade
> themselves) ?

The upgrade is nothing more than downloading a file, clicking on the file,
and waiting for it to finish.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

They are not preinstalling SP2 yet.

"Jerome M. Katz" <jerrymkatz@NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a relative (who does not live near me) who is thinking of
> buying a Dell Dimension 2400 or 3000. They want to wait until Windows
> XP Service Pack 2 comes preinstalled. Has anyone taken delivery on one
> of those systems recently and has SP 2 been preinstalled (The relative
> is not knowledgeable so I would not want them to try the upgrade
> themselves) ?
>
> Jerry

True, as long as one has braodband. Dial-up is different. The download takes
lots longer, assuming that the dial-up line holds its connection... Ben Myers

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 08:49:27 -0600, David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:14:55 -0400, Jerome M. Katz wrote in
>
>> I have a relative (who does not live near me) who is thinking of
>> buying a Dell Dimension 2400 or 3000. They want to wait until Windows
>> XP Service Pack 2 comes preinstalled. Has anyone taken delivery on one
>> of those systems recently and has SP 2 been preinstalled (The relative
>> is not knowledgeable so I would not want them to try the upgrade
>> themselves) ?
>
>The upgrade is nothing more than downloading a file, clicking on the file,
>and waiting for it to finish.
>
>Dave
>--
>You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
>US Army Signal Corps!!
>
>http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
>Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:46:41 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote in

> True, as long as one has braodband. Dial-up is different. The download takes
> lots longer, assuming that the dial-up line holds its connection... Ben Myers

Good point. I'm just so used to using broadband anymore I tend to forget
about the folks with dial-up. :)

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

Also useful even for people with broadband. Installing from a CD is a lot
quicker than waiting for the download to complete... Ben Myers

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:10:10 -0400, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

>Other option for dialup users
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

>> True, as long as one has braodband. Dial-up is different. The download
>> takes
>> lots longer, assuming that the dial-up line holds its connection... Ben
>> Myers

toy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

> Also useful even for people with broadband. Installing from a CD is a lot
> quicker than waiting for the download to complete... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:10:10 -0400, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Other option for dialup users
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
>>

>><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>> True, as long as one has braodband. Dial-up is different. The download
>>> takes
>>> lots longer, assuming that the dial-up line holds its connection... Ben
>>> Myers

ah but waiting a week or more for a disc from Microsoft or trying to find a
magazine in the shops could take much longer than the broadband hour to
download and install

toy

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:14:58 +0000 (UTC), Toy wrote in

> ah but waiting a week or more for a disc from Microsoft or trying to find a
> magazine in the shops could take much longer than the broadband hour to
> download and install

Followed by burning the file to CD so you don't have to download it again.

:)

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

Jan

In article <414c580d.6921953@news.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
> True, as long as one has braodband. Dial-up is different. The download takes
> lots longer, assuming that the dial-up line holds its connection... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 08:49:27 -0600, David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:14:55 -0400, Jerome M. Katz wrote in
> >
> >> I have a relative (who does not live near me) who is thinking of
> >> buying a Dell Dimension 2400 or 3000. They want to wait until Windows
> >> XP Service Pack 2 comes preinstalled. Has anyone taken delivery on one
> >> of those systems recently and has SP 2 been preinstalled (The relative
> >> is not knowledgeable so I would not want them to try the upgrade
> >> themselves) ?
> >
> >The upgrade is nothing more than downloading a file, clicking on the file,
> >and waiting for it to finish.
> >
> >Dave
> >--
> >You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> >US Army Signal Corps!!
> >
> >http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
> >
> >Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

I ordered the SP2 CD from Microsoft - it was delivered via Purolator. I
was at work so had to go and pick it up. When I went to the Purolator
office I said to the gal - can't believe MS ships these things via
Purolator instead of just regular snail mail - must cost them a fortune.
She said yes but MS wants a signature and they end up shipping back a
lot of them as when people find out they have to actually go pick the CD
up from Purolator depot, they just don't bother.
--
Cheers!

Jan

In article <MPG.1bb6bfcb90dd7fda98a880@news.individual.net>,
void@btinternet.com (Colin Wilson) says...
> I had problems on a 3 week old 2400 installing from the official M$ SP2
> disc. The security centre had a mind of its own, and apps fail randomly.
> This had never been an issue pre-SP2.
>
> And then there's trying to get installers to work...
>
> I just bought a bluetooth device, and SP2 throws out dire warnings for
> (literally) 10-15 minutes of continual popups.
>
> Then the installer crashes.
>
> This is the newest version of the installer, not the one from the CD in
> the pack - its a Trust BT180 device.

Yeah, it's a little early to be installing SP2 yet. From what I have
heard, Dell won't be shipping XPr2 until November, which is pretty good
timing. By then, most software vendors will have new releases out that
work around the introduced incompatibilities.

Until then, run an anti-virus and firewall and you will be secure
enough.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

> Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you did a clean install of
> Windows? It's been my experiences that every so often, a nice clean
> reinstall is a perfect fix to all those little problems that seem to crop
> up over time.

The only thing is, the machine is only about 3 weeks old... it shouldn`t
need a clean reinstall so soon in its young life :-}

> What did others trying to install the same piece of hardware experience?
> Did you find anything on a Google search?

Not had a chance to look yet, a holiday abroad looms close :-}

> At the least, an email to the manufacturer of the piece of hardware you
> were trying to install should be in order. If nothing else to let them
> know you're having problems installing it with SP2.

That`s a fair point - will do :)

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 13:36:58 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote in

>> Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you did a clean install of
>> Windows? It's been my experiences that every so often, a nice clean
>> reinstall is a perfect fix to all those little problems that seem to crop
>> up over time.
>
> The only thing is, the machine is only about 3 weeks old... it shouldn`t
> need a clean reinstall so soon in its young life :-}

I disagree. ;-) One of the very first things I did upon receiving my
Dimension 8400 (after making sure it worked) was to do a clean
reinstallation of Windows XP. That way, I was able to determine what
should or shouldn't be installed and not some tech at Dell who was just
following a list. :)

>> What did others trying to install the same piece of hardware experience?
>> Did you find anything on a Google search?
>
> Not had a chance to look yet, a holiday abroad looms close :-}

Google has saved me many hours of frustration. If you don't find your
problem anywhere on Usenet but later figure it out, send a post to the
right group describing your problem and how it was fixed. That way the
next person can find it.

>> At the least, an email to the manufacturer of the piece of hardware you
>> were trying to install should be in order. If nothing else to let them
>> know you're having problems installing it with SP2.
>
> That`s a fair point - will do :)

:)

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,aus.computers (More info?)

In article <ch4i4e0pubik$.dlg@sgtcaseycableone.net>, David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote:
>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:46:41 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote in
>
>> True, as long as one has braodband. Dial-up is different. The download
> takes
>> lots longer, assuming that the dial-up line holds its connection... Ben Myers
>
>Good point. I'm just so used to using broadband anymore I tend to forget
>about the folks with dial-up. :)

Here in Oz, 3 out of 4 PC mags have SP2 on their cover CDs for Oct
2004. So you can get a copy for around AUD8.00... which seems
perfectly reasonable to me, especially as one of the mags has a large
"insert" of 70+ pages giving a lot of detail and advice on the service
pack.

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,aus.computers (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:48:20 GMT, ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com (Phred)
wrote:

>In article <ch4i4e0pubik$.dlg@sgtcaseycableone.net>, David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote:
>>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:46:41 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote in
>>
>>> True, as long as one has braodband. Dial-up is different. The download
>> takes
>>> lots longer, assuming that the dial-up line holds its connection... Ben Myers
>>
>>Good point. I'm just so used to using broadband anymore I tend to forget
>>about the folks with dial-up. :)
>
>Here in Oz, 3 out of 4 PC mags have SP2 on their cover CDs for Oct
>2004. So you can get a copy for around AUD8.00... which seems
>perfectly reasonable to me, especially as one of the mags has a large
>"insert" of 70+ pages giving a lot of detail and advice on the service
>pack.
>
>Cheers, Phred.

Or you can get it free from Microsoft when the patch for SP2 comes out
- mid-October. Same as they did with SP1a, SP2a will be available on
CD for free. MS Posts it out to you

Dream on.........

In article <5hlsk05tdump6g87urohgggn83s2j07ru6@4ax.com>, Brissie <brissie@zwallet.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:48:20 GMT, ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com (Phred)
>wrote:
>>In article <ch4i4e0pubik$.dlg@sgtcaseycableone.net>, David Casey
> <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote:
>>>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:46:41 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote in

>>>Good point. I'm just so used to using broadband anymore I tend to forget
>>>about the folks with dial-up. :)
>>
>>Here in Oz, 3 out of 4 PC mags have SP2 on their cover CDs for Oct
>>2004. So you can get a copy for around AUD8.00... which seems
>>perfectly reasonable to me, especially as one of the mags has a large
>>"insert" of 70+ pages giving a lot of detail and advice on the service
>>pack.
>
>Or you can get it free from Microsoft when the patch for SP2 comes out
>- mid-October. Same as they did with SP1a, SP2a will be available on
>CD for free. MS Posts it out to you

Yeah. I got that CD of general updates/patches for the older OSes
that they gave away some time ago. But, as you say, the SP2 thing
won't be available that way for a month or more yet. In which case
that mag with the big insert of comments and instructions may be a
better way to go, especially if you want the security improvements
now.

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

Depending on where you live the CD ahs been available for free from
Microsoft for about a month:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default810.mspx

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

> Dream on.........
>
> "Brissie" <brissie@zwallet.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:48:20 GMT, ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com
>> (Phred)
>> wrote:
>
>> Or you can get it free from Microsoft when the patch for SP2 comes
>> out
>> - mid-October. Same as they did with SP1a, SP2a will be available
>> on
>> CD for free. MS Posts it out to you

He was referring to a revised or patched version of SP2. It would be a
first for Microsoft.

"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> Depending on where you live the CD ahs been available for free from
> Microsoft for about a month:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default810.mspx
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Dream on.........
>>
>> "Brissie" <brissie@zwallet.com> wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:48:20 GMT, ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com (Phred)
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> Or you can get it free from Microsoft when the patch for SP2 comes out
>>> - mid-October. Same as they did with SP1a, SP2a will be available on
>>> CD for free. MS Posts it out to you

I missed that.
Updates SP-2 is a rumor that has been going around and is false.
There are no plans for SP-2a or anything like it.
There will most likely be other patches but SP-2 will not be changed.
--

> He was referring to a revised or patched version of SP2. It would
> be a first for Microsoft.

Sorry, I'm late to this party: What "broadband hour" are we talking about?
With my cable connection the entire process of installing SP 2, from
'checking your computer' to restart, took 21 minutes. I used Windows Update
and downloaded a 79MB patch with a standard Comcast account.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>Sorry, I'm late to this party: What "broadband hour" are we talking about?
>With my cable connection the entire process of installing SP 2, from
>'checking your computer' to restart, took 21 minutes. I used Windows Update
>and downloaded a 79MB patch with a standard Comcast account.

I have Comcast also, it took me about 30 minutes on the
download/install/restart. Then about another 20-30 minutes
tidying the odd thing up. NAV 2002 wasn't eligible for the
update that allows NAV to talk to the new security center, and
the security center didn't find my firewall, so it activated the
Windows [nee ICF] firewall. So I had to adjust that. The IE6
pop-up stopper was activated. Since I use a freebie/shareware
stopper only on sites that are troublesome, the Bill Gates "we
know what's best for you" always on unless you've white-listed a
web site stopper was a non-starter. A couple of other minor
things had to be fine-tuned.

Other than those, expected since I had done my homework before MS
Update told me I could download SP2, minor tweaks, SP2 has been
purring along right smartly, with no adverse effects on any of my
programs. And at one point or another, I've activated and used
most all of my programs that I'm likely to use. [i.e., I have
never burned a CD on my home machine, so I haven't run the EZ-CD
program. OTOH, though I've never used the Corel WordPerfect
Office's Paradox data base program, I did test that one, along
with those programs in the WP Office suite that my clients do
use.]
--
OJ III

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:24:05 -0400, Ted Zieglar wrote in

> Sorry, I'm late to this party: What "broadband hour" are we talking about?
> With my cable connection the entire process of installing SP 2, from
> 'checking your computer' to restart, took 21 minutes. I used Windows Update
> and downloaded a 79MB patch with a standard Comcast account.

I don't know, I didn't write the "broadband hour" part. I can't remember
how long it took me to download it, but a 266MB file would go pretty
quickly with my 1.5Mbps connection.

It did take a bit of time to install when I installed it the first time,
but went much quicker when I installed it the second time. That time I did
a clean install of Windows XP and as soon as I got to the desktop I ran the
SP2 update.

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:02:23 +1000, Brissie wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:48:20 GMT, ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com (Phred)
> wrote:
>
>>In article <ch4i4e0pubik$.dlg@sgtcaseycableone.net>, David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote:
>>>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:46:41 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote in

>>> takes
>>>
>>>Good point. I'm just so used to using broadband anymore I tend to forget
>>>about the folks with dial-up. :)
>>
>>Here in Oz, 3 out of 4 PC mags have SP2 on their cover CDs for Oct
>>2004. So you can get a copy for around AUD8.00... which seems
>>perfectly reasonable to me, especially as one of the mags has a large
>>"insert" of 70+ pages giving a lot of detail and advice on the service
>>pack.
>>
>>Cheers, Phred.
>
> Or you can get it free from Microsoft when the patch for SP2 comes out
> - mid-October. Same as they did with SP1a, SP2a will be available on
> CD for free. MS Posts it out to you

The job card on a certain customer's box that came in today:
"Installed server pack 2. No longer boots."

MS's SP2 CD was still in the drive.

I've seen SP2 kill quite a few machines so far. Probably 20%-30% of the
machines I have tried it on.

--
Mathew M. <mathew@spiesNOSPAMareus.yi.org>
GPG public key ID: 0x3DDC1413

This post contains a chemical or chemicals known to the state of California
to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. This (these)
chemical(s) may be harmful to your health.