Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Plz help: Restoring vital files from burnt CD onto m100

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:27:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hi all. I've got a problem I can't seem to solve. Perhaps someone here
can help me

System:
Palm:
M100
2mb Memory
Palm Desktop: version 3.1.1

* please don't tell me it's an obsolete model. I already know :->

PC:
Nothing fancy - just standard Win98 box


Situation:
I recently had to reformat my PC's HDD. Before doing so, I burnt the
contents of C:/palm to CD-RW by hooking that PC with another one via
serial cable and using LapLink remote. I did this thinking that I
could later re-install / copy all the vital files (to do, address
book, notepad, memo, etc) should I need to.

In the interim, the batteries on my M100 went flat (yay NiHm!). So I
lost all the data from that end. I am attempting to reinstall all the
burnt data back onto the M100.

Problem:

I have all the data (todo.dat and .bak, address.dat and .bak etc etc)
but it WILL NOT copy over to the M100.

Things I've tried:

(1) Install palm desktop from CD and copying over specific files from
burnt CD-RW = Palm desktop will fail to launch - various errors (Eg:
error - failed to open address book database). As far as I can figure,
this is due to the 8.3 file limit Laplink-remote puts on filenames
(eg: Note Pad. dat comes out as Notepa~1.dat).

In any case, adjusting for this by manually renaming files / folders
means desktop launches BUT FILES WILL STILL NOT SYNCHRONISE INTO M100.

(2) Copying entirety of old palm directory onto c: drive without
installing palm desktop from original CD = desktop not load at all.
However can use Hot synch, but again FILES WILL STILL NOT SYNCHRONISE
INTO M100.

(3) Using a palm emulator (old copy of Copilot 3.5) to load up the
said files (just to see em, even if I have to retype them all back in)
= Nada.

Does anyone know any way I can reinstall / view the contents of my
Address book, To do list, MemoPad etc? Hell...I don't mind even
viewing them in another program and retyping the details manually back
into the M100 for hotsynch.

Anyone? Any tips at all?
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:27:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

<kirks_bitch@YOURCLOTHESoperamail.com> wrote in message
news:58pl319hq3ob21uqj0qr0l3ueb75v8ks5l@4ax.com...
> Hi all. I've got a problem I can't seem to solve. Perhaps someone here
> can help me
> ((..omitted..))
>
> Does anyone know any way I can reinstall / view the contents of my
> Address book, To do list, MemoPad etc? Hell...I don't mind even
> viewing them in another program and retyping the details manually back
> into the M100 for hotsynch.
>
> Anyone? Any tips at all?

Seems like there should be a generic way to solve this.

But if none of the wizards here can come up with one, you might
contact me directly.

One-off database saves like this are one of the things I do as a side
line ( http://home.comcast.net/~paralyn/index.htm ), and I've already
done work on Palm databases in the past.

- Bill
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:41:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

<kirks_bitch@YOURCLOTHESoperamail.com> wrote in message
news:58pl319hq3ob21uqj0qr0l3ueb75v8ks5l@4ax.com...
>
> Situation:
> I recently had to reformat my PC's HDD. Before doing so, I burnt the
> contents of C:/palm to CD-RW by hooking that PC with another one via
> serial cable and using LapLink remote. I did this thinking that I
> could later re-install / copy all the vital files (to do, address
> book, notepad, memo, etc) should I need to.

It should work -- I've done similar things myself with different versions of
palm.

> In the interim, the batteries on my M100 went flat (yay NiHm!). So I
> lost all the data from that end. I am attempting to reinstall all the
> burnt data back onto the M100.

It happens. Bad timing, though.

> Problem:
>
> I have all the data (todo.dat and .bak, address.dat and .bak etc etc)
> but it WILL NOT copy over to the M100.

Yow. Read on... I might be able to offer some suggestions:

> Things I've tried:
>
> (1) Install palm desktop from CD and copying over specific files from
> burnt CD-RW = Palm desktop will fail to launch - various errors (Eg:
> error - failed to open address book database). As far as I can figure,
> this is due to the 8.3 file limit Laplink-remote puts on filenames
> (eg: Note Pad. dat comes out as Notepa~1.dat).
>
> In any case, adjusting for this by manually renaming files / folders
> means desktop launches BUT FILES WILL STILL NOT SYNCHRONISE INTO M100.
>
> (2) Copying entirety of old palm directory onto c: drive without
> installing palm desktop from original CD = desktop not load at all.
> However can use Hot synch, but again FILES WILL STILL NOT SYNCHRONISE
> INTO M100.
>
> (3) Using a palm emulator (old copy of Copilot 3.5) to load up the
> said files (just to see em, even if I have to retype them all back in)
> = Nada.
>
> Does anyone know any way I can reinstall / view the contents of my
> Address book, To do list, MemoPad etc? Hell...I don't mind even
> viewing them in another program and retyping the details manually back
> into the M100 for hotsynch.
>
> Anyone? Any tips at all?

(1) Are you using the SAME palm-desktop install disk as you originally used
when you FIRST installed on your old machine? i.e., was the palm desktop
stored in C:\palm or C:\program files\palmone or something different? You
need to copy those files to the CURRENT install directory (they may not
match that of the install on your OLD system). If you dont, it will just
ignore your "old" stuff when you sync.

(2) After you copy all that data over, you'll likely need to change the
attributes. Most likely, they are now set to READ-ONLY. Sometimes that's a
bad side-effect of burning to a CD, then copying back.

(3) Manually rename EVERY db. file if you need to. It'll be a bear -- take
a saturday to do it.

Personally, I strongly suspect #2 is playing a major role.

-jhon
Related resources
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:41:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"John Ryan" <jrusenet@removethis.greenquark.com.removethistoo> wrote in message
news:FpE_d.24287$OU1.21759@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> <kirks_bitch@YOURCLOTHESoperamail.com> wrote in message
> news:58pl319hq3ob21uqj0qr0l3ueb75v8ks5l@4ax.com...
> >
> > Situation:
> > I recently had to reformat my PC's HDD. Before doing so, I burnt the
> > ((..omitted..))
> > Anyone? Any tips at all?
>
> (1) Are you using the SAME palm-desktop install disk as you originally used
> when you FIRST installed on your old machine? i.e., was the palm desktop
> stored in C:\palm or C:\program files\palmone or something different? You
> need to copy those files to the CURRENT install directory (they may not
> match that of the install on your OLD system). If you dont, it will just
> ignore your "old" stuff when you sync.

Good point. One of the bits of data stored in the header of each database is
the full path to the database file.

For example, from my address file:

00000000: BE BA FE CA 0F 50 61 6C 6D 53 47 20 44 61 74 61 .....PalmSG Data
00000010: 62 61 73 65 30 30 52 56 00 02 42 41 00 00 00 00 base00RV..BA....
00000020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 B2 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000030: 00 00 00 00 2C 43 3A 5C 50 72 6F 67 72 61 6D 20 ....,C:\Program
00000040: 46 69 6C 65 73 5C 50 61 6C 6D 5C 4A 57 5C 61 64 Files\Palm\JW\ad
00000050: 64 72 65 73 73 5C 61 64 64 72 65 73 73 2E 64 61 dress\address.da
00000060: 74 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0B 4D 69 73 t............Mis

I've manupulated these databases with external software and always been careful
not to trash this information.

- Bill
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 1:36:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Bill and John

I decided to try out some of your advice. Long story short: still no
joy

Details:

You were right: files were set to read only. Thinking that I'd struck
paydirt, I changed the attribute of todo.dat, address.dat etc. Nada.
This is the message I got on the handheld

"The HotSynch operation was interrupted. Some of your data was NOT
backed up. For details tap the HotSynch log on the HotSynch screen

*tap*

HotSynch operation was terminated. Some of your data was not backed
up"

(Sigh...useful that, thanks. Actually, NONE of data is installed /
backed up onto Palm)

What's really odd is there is no hotsynch.log file written to the hard
drive (as there normally is) either.

I then changed the settings in HotSynch so that "desktop overwrites
handheld" (for datebook, address book, todo, memo and system"). But
this had no effect either - same error msg, same end result.

I then uninstalled c:/palm and directly copied the files & directory
from the CD onto the HD (into c:/palm)

Exact same error. Thinking that perhaps there was some IRQ interrupt
on the PC interfering with the HotSynch, I attempted all of this on a
different PC.

Exact same error message ("HotSynch operation was interrupted"). Same
result.

Furthermore, palm Desktop fails to load on the other PC when copied
from CD into c:/palm. Gets to the splash screen, then I get "Error:
Invalid configuration. Terminating the Palm Desktop".

The only thing I can think that's left is trying to somehow use the
Instapp program / copying .dba files into "Install" directory. But I'm
pretty sure that won't work. In any case, I'll try it and see what
happens. In the interim, if there is anyone that has any other ideas -
please, I'm all ears.

Hell, I'd be willing to use some kind of hex viewer on the PC to look
at the files if I knew how - I just want my phone numbers, important
dates etc back. (Though it would be be better if I could get
everything back up on the palm)
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 1:36:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

<kirks_bitch@YOURCLOTHESoperamail.com> wrote in message
news:7nvn31lhrg8u0c91fb5cfnv66ohs11u2ps@4ax.com...
> I then changed the settings in HotSynch so that "desktop overwrites
> handheld" (for datebook, address book, todo, memo and system"). But
> this had no effect either - same error msg, same end result.

Did you restore your databases again before trying this? If the hotsync failed
the "right" (ahem) way, it would have erased them.

Also, it didn't occur to me to ask before, when you started the hotsync, did the
desktop ask you to choose WHO the Palm belonged to? If it didn't, you're pretty
well dead right there.

> I then uninstalled c:/palm and directly copied the files & directory
> from the CD onto the HD (into c:/palm)

Was that your backup CD or the installation CD ?

And I'm assuming you really mean c:\palm. If you actually used c:/palm, you've
(probably) got a problem right there.

> The only thing I can think that's left is trying to somehow use the
> Instapp program / copying .dba files into "Install" directory. But I'm
> pretty sure that won't work.

I don't think so either.

> Hell, I'd be willing to use some kind of hex viewer on the PC to look
> at the files if I knew how - I just want my phone numbers, important
> dates etc back. (Though it would be be better if I could get
> everything back up on the palm)

I get the feeling that there's something about where the files are located or
exactly how they're named or something like that that's getting you.

- Bill
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 7:13:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:25:31 -0500, "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com>
wrote:

><kirks_bitch@YOURCLOTHESoperamail.com> wrote in message
>news:7nvn31lhrg8u0c91fb5cfnv66ohs11u2ps@4ax.com...
>> I then changed the settings in HotSynch so that "desktop overwrites
>> handheld" (for datebook, address book, todo, memo and system"). But
>> this had no effect either - same error msg, same end result.
>
>Did you restore your databases again before trying this? If the hotsync failed
>the "right" (ahem) way, it would have erased them.

Well no - the files were still there with no changes to em.


>Also, it didn't occur to me to ask before, when you started the hotsync, did the
>desktop ask you to choose WHO the Palm belonged to? If it didn't, you're pretty
>well dead right there.

Yep, it sure did.

> I then uninstalled c:/palm and directly copied the files & directory
>> from the CD onto the HD (into c:/palm)
>
>Was that your backup CD or the installation CD ?


From the backup CD


>And I'm assuming you really mean c:\palm. If you actually used c:/palm, you've
>(probably) got a problem right there.

Yep, my bad. Late nite typing

>> The only thing I can think that's left is trying to somehow use the
>> Instapp program / copying .dba files into "Install" directory. But I'm
>> pretty sure that won't work.
>
>I don't think so either.

Nope - that didn't work either.


>I get the feeling that there's something about where the files are located or
>exactly how they're named or something like that that's getting you.
>
> - Bill

Well, it might be, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. When
I installed the palm desktop originally, way back when, on the first
PC, I used default everything. (c:\palm...). I did the same here.

I mean really it *should* just be a case of installing Palm Desktop
from the Palm CD and the copying the burnt files into the correct
directories, shouldn't it?

Is there any other way I can view the contents of these files?
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:09:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

<kirks_bitch@YOURCLOTHESoperamail.com> wrote in message
news:hqtp31trtp6shlepbum46s3go089vjf0qb@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:25:31 -0500, "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
> ><kirks_bitch@YOURCLOTHESoperamail.com> wrote in message
> >news:7nvn31lhrg8u0c91fb5cfnv66ohs11u2ps@4ax.com...
> >> I then changed the settings in HotSynch so that "desktop overwrites
> >> handheld" (for datebook, address book, todo, memo and system"). But
> >> this had no effect either - same error msg, same end result.
> >
> >Did you restore your databases again before trying this? If the hotsync
failed
> >the "right" (ahem) way, it would have erased them.
>
> Well no - the files were still there with no changes to em.

OK, then it didn't hammer them. When I was doing something vaguely similar with
an old Palm Pilot Pro a few years back it kept erasing the DBs on the PC until I
remembered to set PC overwrites Palm.

> > ((..omitted..all other things as should be..))
> >I get the feeling that there's something about where the files are located or
> >exactly how they're named or something like that that's getting you.
>
> Well, it might be, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. When
> I installed the palm desktop originally, way back when, on the first
> PC, I used default everything. (c:\palm...). I did the same here.
>
> I mean really it *should* just be a case of installing Palm Desktop
> from the Palm CD and the copying the burnt files into the correct
> directories, shouldn't it?

That would be my expectation.

> Is there any other way I can view the contents of these files?

The Palm Desktop, I'm assuming, chokes on them too?

A binary dump would let you see the text portions, but the dates, times, and
alarms and so forth are encoded.

How many records are you talking about here? And which databases? Calendar,
Contacts, Memos?

I suppose I should have asked before (or maybe I missed it when you said so).
You can get the unit to hotsync normally, right? That is, if you install from
the Palm CD, hook up and just hotsync, that works.

- Bill
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 9:59:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:09:40 -0500, "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com>
wrote:


>The Palm Desktop, I'm assuming, chokes on them too?

Yep

>A binary dump would let you see the text portions, but the dates, times, and
>alarms and so forth are encoded.

Darn :-(

Is there anyway I can maybe use a Palm Emulator? The version I have of
co-pilot is very old: perhaps newer ones allow you to install memo.dba
etc files

>How many records are you talking about here? And which databases? Calendar,
>Contacts, Memos?

Not many. Maybe 40 or so phone numbers / addresses, 6 or 8 reoccurring
Calendar events. The real kicker is the Memo: probably 20 or so "must
read" book titles I'd been collecting for years. "Good books I always
keep an eye out for but for the life of me I can't remember the exact
name of" kinda stuff.

>I suppose I should have asked before (or maybe I missed it when you said so).
>You can get the unit to hotsync normally, right? That is, if you install from
>the Palm CD, hook up and just hotsync, that works.

Oh yeah: that works 100%
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 9:59:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

<kirks_bitch@YOURCLOTHESoperamail.com> wrote in message
news:4mhr31148agbvcrnkpe0v0g7dnup86t0ui@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:09:40 -0500, "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com>
> wrote:
> >How many records are you talking about here? And which databases? Calendar,
> >Contacts, Memos?
>
> Not many. Maybe 40 or so phone numbers / addresses, 6 or 8 reoccurring
> Calendar events. The real kicker is the Memo: probably 20 or so "must
> read" book titles I'd been collecting for years. "Good books I always
> keep an eye out for but for the life of me I can't remember the exact
> name of" kinda stuff.

Please contact me directly. I have an idea.

- Bill
!