G

I'm going to buy a cpu/mb/ram upgrade but i'm not sure about the two types of pentium 4 boards there are and whats better? and is pc800 worth getting? or is it still too dear and better sticking to SDRAM can someone please help me

G

423 Pin is for the "old" P4. The new P4 1.8GHz and up use the 478 pin configuration. If you ever want to upgrade the processor get the 478 pin. It should be around a bit longer than the 423.

Better than RDRAM find a board with the P4X266 chipset from VIA and use P4 with DDR.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
I would go with Socket 478 c/w RDRAM. The price isn't much difference.

I don't think you're going to buy something really old.

I'm in doubt you'll find a new Socket 423 motherboard that have been upgraded recently or just came on a production line. All new models are Socket 478, I think.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NickM on 10/04/01 02:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Go with socket 478, it supports northwood.

SDRAM if you dont require the huge memory bandwidth offered.

RDRAM if you can afford the performance gain.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Ja, the 478 pin is the way to go. So far, I know that ASUS and ABIT are making i850-based Socket478 boards.

You <b>don't</b> want an i845. The P4 performs like an asthmatic snail without high-bandwidth memory. You want no less than PC800 with the P4, else the P4 is just not worth buying.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
socket 478 board, preferably Asus make, alongwith two sticks of PC800 RDRAM. dont go for socket 423, its end of the road at 2 GHz. 478 pin is here to stay maybe upto 3G5!!! i would say wait for DDR, but P4X266 says <i>VIA</i> on it, and Brookdale-DDR i845D will underperform. intel still wants to sell RDRAMs.

SDRAM with P4 is suicide.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
I think there won't be such thing like Socket 370 FCPGA2 Tiulatin to Slot1 converter board for me.

Not talking about a particular manufacturer of the motharboard as an upgrade possible solution for me in the nearest future (+ RAM + a decent power supply = almost a new system), that news looks good to me:

<font color=green>"...Almost all the mainboard manufacturers expect the i845 chipset shortage to be over by November, when Intel is going to start mass shipments of its new i845D (i845 + DDR SDRAM support). Moreover, Intel promises that the newcomer will cost the same money as the today’s i845, i.e. $42 official price, $35 real price. It means that the new chipset will feature a much more attractive price-to-performance ratio than the predecessor...."</font color=green>
<A HREF="http://xbitlabs.com/news/#990437696" target="_new"> i845 in Shortage: Everyone Waiting for i845D </A>

I overlooked that before I posted my RAMBUS peference.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Has anybody else noticed that there are 478 posts in the Bad Support/Hotlines thread, and 423 posts in the Faulty Products thread?
That's awesome :)

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

eden

Champion
Could anyone tell me a link to more info on Northwood?
I mean what is it anyway? Is it something that may finally save the P4? And when is it coming out?
By the way the Socket 478, does it give support for RDRAM and what advantages? I am to get a P4 soon I just need to know if I should reconsider the 423, unless I'd know what will be better at cheaper price, while keeping the RDRAM performance.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Northwood will be the next version of the Pentium 4. Some of its features (those already known publicly) include 0.13 micron technology, 512KB full speed on-die L2 cache, and some as-yet-undisclosed microarchitecture performance enhancements. It should be available some time between the end of November and the beginning of January as the Pentium 4 2.0A, Pentium 4 1.8A, and Pentium 4 1.6A. They will perform better clock-per-clock than the older (Willamette) Pentium 4 processors and can scale in some rather drastic ways. Intel has already demod one running at 3.5GHz at a trade show.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

eden

Champion
Besides that I also wanted to know what of the 423 and 478 thing? I mean what is 478 for other than the i845? Should I go for it?
Or keep with 423 which is i850?

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
You should get an i850 chipset motherboard with the 478 socket. The best so far that matches these specifications is one of the Abit motherboards.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get the Socket 478 CPU's all the way down to 1.5GHz, and those are cheap. In fact, if you're into overclocking, the 1.5GHz may indeed be the way to go. Although that speed is available in BOTH S423 and S478, 478 is the socket the next generation P4 will be using. I recommend the Abit TH7-II

Back to you Tom...

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>Has anybody else noticed that there are 478 posts in the Bad Support/Hotlines thread, and 423 post in the Faulty Products thread?

yes, and I also noticed that's mostly due to AMD and Via's substandard garbage.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Via does not make garbage. have the fastest and hopefully most stable Athlon motherboard ever. The KT266A is already starting to appear in commercial motherboards.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
yes, and I also noticed that's mostly due to AMD and Via's substandard garbage.

Meltdown, how in the world can you be such a troll? Here I am, helping someone out who is interested in buying a P4 platform. I make a side comment about an interesting coincidence, and you randomly bash AMD? That is why nobody on this entire message board respects your opinion. Now go to your room and think about what you've done :)

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
::cant resist::

Before you go meltdown, I will have a 10 piece chicken mc nugget and a large fry, supersize please.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~