Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
<A HREF="http://akiba.ascii24.com/akiba/news/2001/10/03/630141-000.html" target="_new">http://akiba.ascii24.com/akiba/news/2001/10/03/630141-000.html</A>

<A HREF="http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=584744" target="_new">http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=584744</A>

Just grabbing FatBurger's extra post counts

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Here is a translation of the web page from Japanese to English using Altavisita’s babelfish:
----------------------------------------------------------
First it is being impressive the CPU package to be renovated until recently from the product, to become brown. In addition, also the vicinity of the core changed largely, was seen in the former Athlon family " 12 capacitors which surround the core " go out from the CPU surface, in substituting are done again to be arranged entirely to directly under the core of CPU back. The Athlon wind where the L1 and the like has been visible on the surface as for layout although it is healthy, as for the capacitor it is the appearance which got near to the PentiumcIii family. Although you can think the reason such as high clock conversion and thermal measure as the reason which renovates the package, whether at present stage why it is brown including, everything has been wrapped in puzzle.

The core of attention is the Palomino core edition Athlon, it has become the form which is large similar to the " Athlon MP ", in comparison with the Thunderbird core edition Athlon, is close to square. As for marking of best step " AX1500DMT3C ". Already, with the part shop product name is designated as the " Athlon XP 1500+ ", you probably can say it is the inscription like, but whether it supports that of. This core marking Athlon MP-1.2GCHz (core marking: When the AHX1200AMS3C) with you try comparing, it shows it is some kind of CPU, A (the letter which shows the fact that it is the Athlon series) immediately letter of rear, from " the HX " of the Athlon MP to " X " becomes aware in the point which has changed. When and you look at the rear of the number of 4 columns which continue, CPU socket type is shown, " A " shows with the Athlon XP in " D ", the Thermal Spec (the temperature upper limit), " S " (95 DEGC) has changed to " T ". In addition simultaneously, operating voltage " 1.75v " had been shown with the Athlon MP, the letter and the L2 cash 256KB " of M " are shown, " 3 ", in the last letter " C " which shows the FSB 266mHz there is no change. If you look at the marking, basically the Athlon MP and the Athlon XP probably may see almost it is the similar CPU.

Here, AMD761 North Bridge on-board motherboard " GA-7DX " of Gigabyte make (BIOS revision: The F1) with when you try operating, the operational clock 1333mHz (the = 1.33gHz) it was found that is. As the overseas sight and the part shop said, the pattern which as for the Athlon XP the core marking " 1500 " is not and " 1333 " operates with the MHz. The effect which with the latest edition BIOS " F5 " which if becomes download possible corresponds to the Athlon XP is stated in the web sight of the Gigabyte and updates in the up-to-date BIOS it may be able to use without problem.

----------------------------------------------------------

<font color=purple> **Life is too short to be pissed off all the time.**</font color=purple>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Translation of the bridge note. Guess this one is locked.

Appearance of the L1 part differs so far. Also close, also opening you take, but details are unclear

FatBurger

Illustrious
Just grabbing FatBurger's extra post counts

Damn you!! :)

Nobody knew the Palomino was brown? I could've sworn that came up a couple of months ago. Maybe it was somewhere else.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
nope I specifically remember it being mentioned to be on an organic wafer like celeron. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned here too, WITH pictures. Might have been one of the side news posts, not an actual article.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Someone here posted about it, and yes, it is an organic light-brown wafer. I just can't be arsed to dig up the post atm. :tongue:

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Yes, the Athlon XP processors are locked. In addition, the old pencil trick no longer works. To quote someone from the AnandTech forum (the second link mentioned above):

"Well, I tied the pencil trick -- it was a no go... On the chip itself -- it seems like where bridges have been severed there is a little microscopic valley all the way down the line. In other words, whereas the old Athlons just has a laser cut that severed the connections, it seems more like something has actually etched away the connections. I hope that makes sense. What I thought were raised bridges is in fact just the opposite. Everywhere the bridges are cut, their is a tiny, even and symetrical gouge or valley betwen the copper dots."

It looks like everyone is once again stuck with overclocking using only the external clock (FSB.)

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

The wafer is of course not organic, the wafer is silicon (DUH!!!!!!!)... The PACKAGING is organic, yes.

Very different thing.

G

Hee hee hee, Fatburger... Unfortunately it is not really nitpicking, I see it as people picking up some useful info while flaming each other here.

It's funny coz most people don't know what a wafer is. I hope that maybe the interest is sparked now... Naa, I probably go to the suggested link now.

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
The only turds I see are the ones coming out your mouth !

(Oh dear what is the world coming to ?!!)

<font color=purple> **Life is too short to be pissed off all the time.**</font color=purple>

TRENDING THREADS