shutdown question

david6477

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2002
I have a computer that I upgraded from win98 to win2000 and put on the network. Now, when the computer is told to shut down, it closes everything and then gives me the message that "It is now safe to turn off your computer." It never did this under win98, so I know the power supply supports automatic shutdown through the operating system. I have tried and tried, but cannot find a "setting" to change for this, and I am tired of having to "baby-sit" the computer until I have to manually hit the power button. I have tried Microsoft, but no replies as yet.

Thank you very much for your time!
David

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmmm. In your device manager, is APCI enabled, or is it set to 'Standard Computer'.
If its set to standard then you miss out on many of the power control features of win2k, including shutdown processes.

<b>Despite the huge top speeds, amazing acceleration and incredible G-Forces of Top Fuel Dragsters, a standed riced up Lancer often has a larger rear wing.</b>

david6477

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2002
It is set to standard pc, but when I try to update it, that is the only one that windows says is compatible with my hardware. Given, windows is not always the best judge of that, but I was afraid of what might happen if I switched it to advanced configuration and power interface (ACPI) PC. I would imagine that this would affect the whole computer, not just a component, eg. sound card. Any suggestions?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well your pc should be able to handle apci, but to enable it requires a complete reinstillation.

Its good though, automatic irq handling, ltos of power saving options, hibernate, suspend to ram (if supported), etcetcetc.

the annoying thing is the complete reinstall though

<b>Despite the huge top speeds, amazing acceleration and incredible G-Forces of Top Fuel Dragsters, a standed riced up Lancer often has a larger rear wing.</b>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I don't think that is necessary. I think if the poster just clicks "show all hardware" they'll get the opportunity to choose ACPI. Could be wrong, though.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
thats the case for most things, but not APCI.
When i diabled it once i had to do a full reinstall to get it back as its an integral part of the OS.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
OK, cool. I remember going ACPI -> Standard without a re-install. But I guess Standard -> ACPI is not as trivial. Thanks for the tip.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
oh yes. APCI -> standard is easy... unfortunately as i found out.

<b>You will die.
If you are lucky you may last ten decades.
If you are especially lucky you will be
remembered for another 5 decades.</b>

david6477

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2002
I have switched it to ACPI, and of course, windows wouldn't start up again until I ran the recovery module. Everything runs fine, and in device manager, it is set to ACPI, but it still gives me that message on shutdown, and I have not been able to find the power settings that might allow me to change anything. The power options in control panel are the same as when it was in statndard pc. Where do I need to look? Thanks again...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm.
might want to also check your power control options in the bios.
see if its set to soft power off and things like that.... read your mobo manual for more info.

<b>You will die.
If you are lucky you may last ten decades.
If you are especially lucky you will be
remembered for another 5 decades.</b>

david6477

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2002
In the bios, there are power up options, but nothing about powering down. Even checked the system board for jumper settings, and there are none. The documentation I have doesn't say anything about it.
I did check another win2000 computer, a laptop, and it is configured for ACPI, and it has different power options in control panel. Could this only be from the fact that the other computer is a laptop and that the one I am working on is a desktop? When I set the desktop to ACPI, the power options on the desktop computer didn't change, so I wonder...

Latest posts