Sign in with
Your question

First time builder needs advice

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2001 6:38:18 PM

Hello all

I was wondering what you all would suggest I do for my first build?
I was originally thinking of an AMD 1.4 t-bird over a P4, BUT I have a concern about this being my first attempt and really wanting things to go as smoothly as possibly. Now, I do know that you can have problems even with the smoothest setup, but I've read that VIA chipsets are somewhat problematic. AMD also seems to have overheating issues even with proper, approved AMD fans/PS/heatsinks, AND hardware compatibility issues in general. So, my question to you is this:

1) being that I want the smoothest and least complicated route for my first build attempt; AMD 1.4 t-bird OR P4 1.something =)?

2) if I do go with the Pentium...what motherboard should I be looking at?

Thanks to all who read and respond

More about : time builder advice

October 5, 2001 6:53:07 PM

1) Pentium 4

2) Abit TH7-II

I recommend AMD overall, but if the ONLY thing you're looking at is an easy build, then go for P4.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
October 5, 2001 8:44:17 PM

I agree, Since this is your first Computer and you want everything to go smooth, you got to go with Intel. And if you are going with intel P4 get a Board with 850 Chipset.

You will enjoy this for long time. Cool.
Related resources
October 5, 2001 8:59:21 PM

Quote:
Since this is your first Computer and you want everything to go smooth, you got to go with Intel.

I disagree with that. My first post remains as stated, just thought I'd set my dividing line.
You don't "got to" go with Intel, but if your only concern is that it's a smooth build, then by all means go with a P4.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
October 5, 2001 9:52:33 PM

I know I'm gonna get blackballed for saying this, but if I had money, I'd go for an AMD system again.

When I first bought the stuff to build my new system, I had no clue. But, I heard all this stuff about VIA and SB Live cards after I was all done. I just installed the latest drivers, and I've been fine ever since. My computer is based on the DIY PC from Tom's Hardware How-To guides. I'm glad that was there, or else I would have no clue. And, it really wasn't that hard.

As for a heatsink, if you want smooth, I suggest Swiftech MCX370-0A. I have the MC370-0A, but I'd buy the new one in a heartbeat. I doubt you'll have any heat issues, especially installing this heatsink.

Please don't bag on me...I'm only telling a successful story that actually worked out...LoL

Kernel32.dll error...aw, son of a.... :eek: 
!