Headset Microphone Not Working

byrne86

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I bought a Steelseries Siberia V2 headset (non usb model), and the headphones work fine, but the mic doesn't seem to respond to any applications at all.

I have updated my audio drivers and tried different audio jacks on my PC but nothing will solve this problem.

I have gone into recording devices in Windows and ticked "listen to this device" and I can hear myself speaking through the headset, but when I try and use it on Skype or Steam chat it is non responsive. The volume bar next to the microphone in recording devices doesn't go up when I speak even though I can hear myself speaking.

If there is any way to solve this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Ponyface

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hey Byrne, I had a similar problem once, try disabling "front mic" in recording devices. Are you using on board or do you have a sound card? Also, it may seem silly, but make sure your mic is switched on ( that happened to me before :p was ready to destroy my headset)

dons20

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
You could try and right-clicking the volume icon in Windows 7 and click recording devices. Make sure none of the mics are disabled or muted or something. Try doing that and see if it works...

Also: I experienced this problem today strangely. My mic was working up to last night when plugged into the back ports but then suddenly it stopped working in Skype and Steam...so I went and plugged it into the front ports and voila! It strangely started to work so i'm a lil confused why it did...but it worked.

byrne86

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Okay I've made some progress, the mic is now working, but I only get audio from the left earphone using the jack at the rear of my PC. It seems to be I can have left and right headphones working with out the mic, or the right earphone with the mic.

It's a touch frustrating, but if I can't fix it on my PC, I can always get a 3.5mm extension and plug the headset into the front and the mic into the back, a bit of a workaround, but if there's no other way it's cheap and easy to do.

DennisFrydkr

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

you made my day Ponyface ;) i was about to throw my headset out but the i looked at the mic switch... it was off...
Thx anyway ;)