Sign in with
Your question

How do I slow down my fan?

Last response: in CPUs
October 8, 2001 1:35:54 AM

My P3 550 runs a 30 degrees C under full load.
Since I can't get it to overclock more than 3%, I was wondering if there was anyway to slow down my rather annoying 5000RPM fan?
If I could get it own to 3000 to 4000 RPM, it would run a bit warmer, but still pretty cool, and would be much quieter.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

More about : slow fan

October 8, 2001 2:07:19 AM

I think you can get a fan adapter with a resistor on it which may slow it down, not sure though.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 8, 2001 2:13:18 AM

erm... i know u CAN get a molex connector with an inbuilt rheostat... just a variable resistor on the power line basically... that would be your best bet.
see em here, second from the top:
<A HREF="http://www.pcca.com.au/fans.html" target="_new">http://www.pcca.com.au/fans.html&lt;/A>

its either that, a do it yourself job, or a new fan (you can get temp dependent ones too!)

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 8, 2001 2:20:01 AM

Cool, thanks.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."
October 8, 2001 2:31:03 AM

yeah.. you could do it yourself

what you would need
1. pair of wire cutters
2. stanly knife to strip wires
3. selection of resistors (or a rheostat)
4. pair of pliers to twist tie the resistor to the cute wire ends.
5. some kind of cover to prevent eathing.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
October 8, 2001 4:19:38 AM

only problem is that i havnt seen a rheostat equipped 3 pin line, only the 4 pin molex... which makes fan speed monitoring a hastle.

October 8, 2001 6:20:33 AM

I use a 3-prong switch and switch the fan leads between the 5v red and 12v yellow lines. 5v is kind of slow but you just crank it up when you need it.

Schmide

Of course I’ve been through more motherboards and CPU’s than a third world country.
October 8, 2001 10:12:48 AM

I soldered in a potentiometer on the red cable (cut the cable and connected in) to my cpu fan. I don't know the best value I just used some 10 Kohm potentiometers I had.
One thing I noticed was that the fan speed did not change the temperature that much. It seems that the important thing for me was that they turned so that there were an air flow.

If you turn down the rpm's low make sure that they can start, ie. stop the fan with your hand and make sure that it can start from standstill.

Since it worked so well and did that on both the graphic card fan and all the fans in the case.

I used long cable from the cutted wires to the potentiometers so that I could adjust the pontentiometers from the front having the case closed.
October 8, 2001 10:18:25 AM

"2. stanly knife to strip wires" you crazy guy, why not be really macho and use a chainsaw?
LOL

Although it has a lot of good ideas, beer doesn't know anything about computers!!!
October 8, 2001 1:22:16 PM

whyv not run the fan at 7V or 5V ? both of which are readily available straight from your psu. (7V is got from the yellow (12V) and red (5V)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
!