Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Any reason to upgrade a desktop to Windows 8?

Last response: in Windows 8
July 9, 2012 6:47:58 PM

Microsoft just announced a very attractive upgrade price.

But is there any reason to upgrade a desktop to Windows 8?

Usually the marketing machines spin out a very convincing story. This time around, I haven't seen any reasons to upgrade a desktop besides the price.
July 9, 2012 7:07:59 PM

it has some new features and is faster and more stable than 7( from what i am hearing) but the big issue is the GUI. if you do not like or can use the GUI then don't bother. if you want to try it out you can download the consumer preview of it and try it out. note if you do do this use a program like vmware player or virtual box that will allow you to install and play with windows 8 because you do not have to worry about going back to windows 7
Score
July 9, 2012 8:48:55 PM

captaincharisma said:
it has some new features and is faster and more stable than 7( from what i am hearing) but the big issue is the GUI. if you do not like or can use the GUI then don't bother. if you want to try it out you can download the consumer preview of it and try it out. note if you do do this use a program like vmware player or virtual box that will allow you to install and play with windows 8 because you do not have to worry about going back to windows 7

The things I (and many upgraders) care about are

Security
Stability
Performance
Compatability with existing applications and hardware

I looked at a lists of top Windows 8 features, and I found in all honesty that I couldn't care less about virtually all of them. Maybe Bitlocker would be worth the $40 upgrade price? Not sure about that. I don't plan on using the new mail app when I already have Outlook, or any of the photo and video apps when Adobe Creative Suite does all that stuff. I wouldn't have minded a pdf reader/creator in 2008. But in 2012, the world has moved too much for me to care (and Adobe CS does that stuff). Social networking is not something I want to do on the desktop. Maybe in a phone or pad. Connectivity with Skydrive is cool, but Windows 7 is almost there; Skydrive should not be an OS issue.

And taking out the DVD player is a stupid move in 2012. I don't want to have to search for a third-party solution or a free solution just because I might have to play a DVD in the computer once every six months. I would pay $3 to have this functionality built-in so I don't have to worry about it.

So when will they start spinning the new OS as more secure, stable and fast, and just as compatible? That's what upgraders care about. No one upgrades for a pretty interface (nevermid that many people don't love the new GUI) or a mail app any more.
Score
Related resources
July 9, 2012 9:37:47 PM

if you do not care about the GUI then go ahead. most experiences i find on the internet are people who are hating the newer radical like GUI so much that they will stick with windows 7. and really? you don't have 2 seconds to do a google search to find a free media player that will give you the DVD function back? that's messed up
Score
July 10, 2012 12:46:45 AM

captaincharisma said:
if you do not care about the GUI then go ahead. most experiences i find on the internet are people who are hating the newer radical like GUI so much that they will stick with windows 7. and really? you don't have 2 seconds to do a google search to find a free media player that will give you the DVD function back? that's messed up

No I don't have time to waste looking for a DVD player when the old OS had one built in, but thanks for your advice.
Score
July 10, 2012 12:54:47 AM

ratsa said:
No I don't have time to waste looking for a DVD player when the old OS had one built in, but thanks for your advice.

A DVD Player???? funny way to say it... Its called Windows Media Player...
Score
July 10, 2012 12:57:08 AM

I think windows 8 with a touchscreen would be very cool, but not as your main computer. Still not sold, but it is interesting.
Score
a b * Windows 8
July 10, 2012 1:06:57 AM

ratsa said:
Microsoft just announced a very attractive upgrade price.

But is there any reason to upgrade a desktop to Windows 8?

Usually the marketing machines spin out a very convincing story. This time around, I haven't seen any reasons to upgrade a desktop besides the price.

Hi :) 

Umm that low price ONLY applies if you BUY a Windows 7 machine now, and it gives a cheap option to upgrade to 8 when its released to Retail... its intended to stop people putting off the purchase of a machine because 8 is coming out...

There is also an upgrade price for your own machine...only a temporary download price with no disc media etc...and no UK price released yet....

All the best Brett :) 
Score
July 10, 2012 1:29:39 AM

ratsa said:

too funny
Score
July 10, 2012 1:55:25 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Umm that low price ONLY applies if you BUY a Windows 7 machine now, and it gives a cheap option to upgrade to 8 when its released to Retail... its intended to stop people putting off the purchase of a machine because 8 is coming out...

It's funny I ask a question and it turns out I already have more information than the people answering :) 

You, my friend, are thinking of the $14.99 upgrade price for people who buy a Windows 7 PC after June 2.

I am talking about the $39.99 upgrade price for any machine licensed to run Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP. That's right, even Windows XP.

Check it out: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406621,00.asp
Score
July 10, 2012 1:57:18 AM

zloginet said:

The important thing is the codec not Windows Media Player. Once you have the codec any player will do. MS supplys WMP, but they want out of the business of supplying the codec aka DVD player.
Score
July 10, 2012 2:11:30 AM

zloginet said:

Hey off topic, you have one amazing rig! Got any pics you can share? Very interested in seeing your setup!
Score
July 10, 2012 5:41:25 AM

I was having a Windows 8 installed in my Laptop. The reason i installed Windows 8 in my laptop, is because of the light weight and speed.
Score
July 10, 2012 7:24:20 AM

I personally despise of the new GUI. I have the preview installed on a VM, and it is just annoying. I definitely won't be upgrading soon. Well, actually, since it's only $40 to upgrade until 2013 from what I've heard, I might buy it incase I want it in the future.
Score
July 10, 2012 7:34:28 AM

As you say you have more info than those who have replied (up until now). Its a pity your attitude has me thinking you are trolling for a fight about how bad W8 is/isn't.
Im going to let Moderation decide.

Mactronix :) 
Score

Best solution

July 10, 2012 10:01:14 AM

Good call.
July 20, 2012 1:54:40 AM

Best answer selected by ratsa.
Score
!