Lords of Madness gallery is out

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20050415a

Is it just me, or is this picture by Mitch Cotie:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/lom_gallery/88091.jpg

like an uglier rip-off of this one, by Matt Wilson:

http://www.inet.hr/~jzujovic/guardian.jpg

(Couldn't find Wilson's one on the net, so I uploaded it to my
webspace.)

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:
    > http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20050415a

    Bah, needs more tentacle pr0n.

    Speaking of aberrations: The Fiend Folio entry for half-illithids
    explains the parasitical nature of mind flayers. It reminded me of the
    Goa'uld from Stargate SG-1. And then I thought about elans from the
    XPsiHB, and how they're also aberrations, and maybe also parasites or
    symbiotes. So I've decided that elans are a less-evil offshoot of the
    illithid race, much like the Tok'ra in SG-1.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    David Alex Lamb wrote:
    > In article <MPG.1ccaf458555d1067989a1e@news.iskon.hr>,
    > Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:
    > >http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/lom_gallery/88091.jpg
    > >
    > >like an uglier rip-off of this one, by Matt Wilson:
    > >
    > >http://www.inet.hr/~jzujovic/guardian.jpg
    >
    > The resemblance is obvious once pointed out, but I'm not sure, if I'd
    seen
    > both pictures several weeks apart, that the one would have come to
    mind when I
    > saw the other.

    I'm gonna go with "inconclusive". The headdresses are rather similar,
    yes, but the other similarities are fairly generic. The pose is a very
    canonical one for fantasy females, as is the bare midriff.

    I wouldn't say it's definitely _not_ a ripoff, but I don't think they
    are that extremely similar.

    Laszlo

    bradd+news@szonye.com wrote:

    > > http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20050415a
    >
    > Bah, needs more tentacle pr0n.
    >
    > Speaking of aberrations: The Fiend Folio entry for half-illithids
    > explains the parasitical nature of mind flayers. It reminded me of the
    > Goa'uld from Stargate SG-1. And then I thought about elans from the
    > XPsiHB, and how they're also aberrations, and maybe also parasites or
    > symbiotes. So I've decided that elans are a less-evil offshoot of the
    > illithid race, much like the Tok'ra in SG-1.

    Someone on the WotC forums had a somewhat similar idea: supposedly, LoM
    says the illithids come from the future, and the poster suggested that
    elans might be the first step in the evolution from human towards
    illithid.

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:
    > bradd+news@szonye.com wrote:
    >> Speaking of aberrations: The Fiend Folio entry for half-illithids
    >> explains the parasitical nature of mind flayers. It reminded me of the
    >> Goa'uld from Stargate SG-1. And then I thought about elans from the
    >> XPsiHB, and how they're also aberrations, and maybe also parasites or
    >> symbiotes. So I've decided that elans are a less-evil offshoot of the
    >> illithid race, much like the Tok'ra in SG-1.
    >
    > Someone on the WotC forums had a somewhat similar idea: supposedly, LoM
    > says the illithids come from the future, and the poster suggested that
    > elans might be the first step in the evolution from human towards
    > illithid.

    Neat!
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:

    > bradd+news@szonye.com wrote:
    >

    >>>http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20050415a
    >>
    >>Bah, needs more tentacle pr0n.
    >>
    >>Speaking of aberrations: The Fiend Folio entry for half-illithids
    >>explains the parasitical nature of mind flayers. It reminded me of the
    >>Goa'uld from Stargate SG-1. And then I thought about elans from the
    >>XPsiHB, and how they're also aberrations, and maybe also parasites or
    >>symbiotes. So I've decided that elans are a less-evil offshoot of the
    >>illithid race, much like the Tok'ra in SG-1.
    >

    > Someone on the WotC forums had a somewhat similar idea: supposedly, LoM
    > says the illithids come from the future, and the poster suggested that
    > elans might be the first step in the evolution from human towards
    > illithid.

    Power Word Bah! Illithids were created when human explorers went to the
    Far Realm and got mutated.

    They're sort of more-earthly cousins to the Kaorti.

    - Ron ^*^

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:
    > bradd+news@szonye.com wrote:
    >

    >>>http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20050415a
    >>
    >>Bah, needs more tentacle pr0n.
    >>
    >>Speaking of aberrations: The Fiend Folio entry for half-illithids
    >>explains the parasitical nature of mind flayers. It reminded me of the
    >>Goa'uld from Stargate SG-1. And then I thought about elans from the
    >>XPsiHB, and how they're also aberrations, and maybe also parasites or
    >>symbiotes. So I've decided that elans are a less-evil offshoot of the
    >>illithid race, much like the Tok'ra in SG-1.
    >

    > Someone on the WotC forums had a somewhat similar idea: supposedly, LoM
    > says the illithids come from the future, and the poster suggested that
    > elans might be the first step in the evolution from human towards
    > illithid.

    Seems to me such a conjecture carries implication that illithids are
    immortal with respect old age. After all, that's the driving idea
    behind elan.

    -Tialan

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:

    > > > The resemblance is obvious once pointed out, but I'm not sure, if
    I'd seen
    > > > both pictures several weeks apart, that the one would have come
    to mind when I
    > > > saw the other.
    > >
    > > I'm gonna go with "inconclusive". The headdresses are rather
    similar,
    > > yes, but the other similarities are fairly generic. The pose is a
    very
    > > canonical one for fantasy females, as is the bare midriff.
    > >
    > > I wouldn't say it's definitely _not_ a ripoff, but I don't think
    they
    > > are that extremely similar.
    >
    > Fair enough. But I must say that I've thought of Matt Wilson's one
    > immediately when I saw the one from LoM, and I probably haven't
    looked
    > at Matt Wilson's one for months.

    Sure, this kind of thing can happen. For example, in Tekken 3, one of
    Bryan's victory poses looks _exactly_ like what the Assassin does in
    Diablo 2 when you select her: a chest-height spinning roundhouse kick
    (ushiro mawashi-geri chudan, for karate buffs), followed by transition
    to back stance, and some strange hand motion that I can't identify. I
    noticed the similariy the very first time I saw Bryan do that victory
    pose, and yet it's highly unlikely that one game ripped off the other.
    They just both thought that combination of moves looked cool. :)

    Laszlo

    ranpoirier@cox.net wrote:

    > >>Bah, needs more tentacle pr0n.
    > >>
    > >>Speaking of aberrations: The Fiend Folio entry for half-illithids
    > >>explains the parasitical nature of mind flayers. It reminded me of the
    > >>Goa'uld from Stargate SG-1. And then I thought about elans from the
    > >>XPsiHB, and how they're also aberrations, and maybe also parasites or
    > >>symbiotes. So I've decided that elans are a less-evil offshoot of the
    > >>illithid race, much like the Tok'ra in SG-1.
    > >
    > > Someone on the WotC forums had a somewhat similar idea: supposedly, LoM
    > > says the illithids come from the future, and the poster suggested that
    > > elans might be the first step in the evolution from human towards
    > > illithid.
    >
    > Power Word Bah! Illithids were created when human explorers went to the
    > Far Realm and got mutated.

    Eh. I like the version with the time travel better.

    > They're sort of more-earthly cousins to the Kaorti.

    What are the kaorti? The name seems interesting, but I can't quite place
    it...

    Are they that wizard school that got stranded in the Far Realm and now
    they have some sort of leathery bio-armours and underneath they're all
    icky...?

    What 3.x book are they in?

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:
    > ranpoirier@cox.net wrote:
    >
    >> They're sort of more-earthly cousins to the Kaorti.
    >
    > What are the kaorti? The name seems interesting, but I can't quite place
    > it...
    >
    > Are they that wizard school that got stranded in the Far Realm and now
    > they have some sort of leathery bio-armours and underneath they're all
    > icky...?

    Yes.

    > What 3.x book are they in?

    The Fiend Folio.

    --
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
    What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

    Asatoma sat gamaya, tamasoma jyotir gamaya, mrityorma anritam gamaya.

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:

    >>>Someone on the WotC forums had a somewhat similar idea: supposedly, LoM
    >>>says the illithids come from the future, and the poster suggested that
    >>>elans might be the first step in the evolution from human towards
    >>>illithid.
    >>
    >>Power Word Bah! Illithids were created when human explorers went to the
    >>Far Realm and got mutated.
    >

    > Eh. I like the version with the time travel better.

    Well, there's no accounting for taste. Stupid elan. They're a dumb
    race and everything they touch turns to dumb. Keep their powergaming
    mitts off the Illithids!

    >>They're sort of more-earthly cousins to the Kaorti.
    >

    > What are the kaorti? The name seems interesting, but I can't quite place
    > it...
    >
    > Are they that wizard school that got stranded in the Far Realm and now
    > they have some sort of leathery bio-armours and underneath they're all
    > icky...?

    Yes.

    > What 3.x book are they in?

    Fiend Folio.

    - Ron ^*^

    "Tialan" <shalahhr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Jasin Zujovic wrote:

    >>>Bah, needs more tentacle pr0n.
    >>>
    >>>Speaking of aberrations: The Fiend Folio entry for half-illithids
    >>>explains the parasitical nature of mind flayers. It reminded me of
    >>>the
    >>>Goa'uld from Stargate SG-1. And then I thought about elans from the
    >>>XPsiHB, and how they're also aberrations, and maybe also parasites
    >>>or
    >>>symbiotes. So I've decided that elans are a less-evil offshoot of
    >>>the
    >>>illithid race, much like the Tok'ra in SG-1.
    >>

    >> Someone on the WotC forums had a somewhat similar idea: supposedly,
    >> LoM says the illithids come from the future, and the poster
    >> suggested that elans might be the first step in the evolution from
    >> human towards illithid.
    >
    > Seems to me such a conjecture carries implication that illithids are
    > immortal with respect old age. After all, that's the driving idea
    > behind elan.
    >
    > -Tialan

    Mind Flayers and Me, a short descent into the evolutionary progression
    of the Illithid and its apparent desire to ensalve humanoid races by
    Frav'in'ig the Mildminded

    A race once existed as slaves to another. One that shared common
    humaniod traits but was very unlike any of the current humanoid races.
    The other race, a being incapable of solid reality interaction needed
    a means to work within his environment that did not require massive
    mental output. The reason was simple this output sometimes taxed the
    biological systems of the "first race" to the point where mental
    exhaustion caused biological breakdown and the ceasing of "life."

    It is with this basic idea, that I, Frav'in'ig, keeper of lore for the
    ancient kingdom of Meadowwilde decided to investigate the creation of
    the Slave race. It is well known that most goblinoids (goblins,
    kobolds, and even hobgoblins) of lesser status are kept or used as
    slaves for the True Gobliniods (Bugbears, Gnolls, Flinds, and Ogres.)
    Do not look at the texts that the "fair" College of Magical
    Evolutionary Studies presents without first knowing that their
    research on the creation of Ogres, and other so called "near giants"
    is at its heart false and misleading. That is besides the point, as I
    have come here today to show how the beings known as "Mind Flayers" by
    the uneducated masses, came into being as a "slaves" to the "First
    race."

    From my exhaustive magical travels into the Realms of existance beyond
    "our shadowy illusion of reality,*" I came upon three tomes of ancient
    knowledge. The first penned by a being known only as Kravib, was
    confirmed to be the first book ever created by the "Illithid-kan*".
    Kravib book explains in great deal the biological makeup, mating
    rituals, and social aspects of the "First race." In the first passage
    from the book, Kravib explains that this text was compiled from years
    of training under the "First race" being known as "Givu*" Why would
    such a book exist? The answer is out there and inside the book. Givu
    explained to Kravib that his children must know how they came into
    being, what their purpose was, and why they were greater than any that
    might come after them, including the "dieities." He went on to explain
    that others of the "First race," their young must have a written
    history so that they can know why they are what they are.

    The second book is a collection of early magics by the "First race,"
    all mundane spells used to focus the natural energies of the shaping
    Planes so that the "First race" would not have to expand as much of
    its own energies during day to day living. Such spells are beyond the
    use of the average wizard but I have mastered some of the most basic
    ones. At the conclusion of this presentation, I shall offer a display.

    It was at this time, that the brave group of adventurers were forced
    attack and slay Frav'in'ig the Mildminded. It was later determined
    that beings from the "Outer" had infested his mind with thoughts
    that were not his own, allowing him to work those "First race"
    magics. A full investigation was conducted, resulting in the
    burning of Frav'in'ig's tower and the destruction of all this work.

    Later, a team of Holy Operatives were allowed access so that
    they could cleanse and protect the place from the prying eyes
    of "Outsiders"

    *In Shartis the suffix Kan means Child of, Beholden to, Spawn of,
    Created by, or just simply Existing to serve. This word's various
    meanings are all vague attempts to collectively label the creations of
    the "First Race."
    * Please see my text "Reality, it doesn't exist" published in 124, Sol
    1 (SDS, shartis dating system)
    * Givu (Guy-vu) in the language of the "Illithid" means father and
    mother, it also means God. Givu is the only mention of Gods in a
    positive light in the entire Illithid vocabulary. It is interesting to
    note that there are over three thousand words used to deride the
    notion of gods and their divine powers.

Games Video Games