New Dell, McAffee hassle

Had to set up a machine for a 90+yr old relative today, and hit upon a
problem with McAffee...

She was an existing customer of McAffee and her licence had just run out
on her old 120Mhz clanker of a machine.

McAffee will not allow her to register for the free trial on the new
machine unless she changes her email address, and disabled the virus
checker as soon as she went online and it tried to register itself.

Apart from that, Dell machines are nicely set up and ready to rock, this
just seems like a strange omission - surely they could set something up
with McAffee and have a flag to indicate that the install is on a new
machine and to bypass any previous purchases that may have expired...

Surely a better way would be to leave it enabled, but prevent it from
being updated ?

More about dell mcaffee hassle

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 03:21:05 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote in

    > Surely a better way would be to leave it enabled, but prevent it from
    > being updated ?

    I would just get a throwaway Hotmail email address and use that to renew on
    the new machine.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    > > Surely a better way would be to leave it enabled, but prevent it from
    > > being updated ?
    > I would just get a throwaway Hotmail email address and use that to renew on
    > the new machine.

    The point is, she shouldn`t need to.

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 13:33:48 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote in

    >> I would just get a throwaway Hotmail email address and use that to renew on
    >> the new machine.
    >
    > The point is, she shouldn`t need to.

    True, but how then else would companies like Symantec and such make any
    real money?

    So, since you have two choices one of which is to just use old virus
    definitions, which one do you think will work good right now?

    Colin Wilson wrote:

    >>>Surely a better way would be to leave it enabled, but prevent it from
    >>>being updated ?
    >>
    >>I would just get a throwaway Hotmail email address and use that to renew on
    >>the new machine.
    >

    > The point is, she shouldn`t need to.

    All depends upon the license. Is it truly a trial for first time
    customers? In any event, the issue is really with McAffee and you can
    really avoid it all together by downloading a copy of AVG Free. Works
    great and as the name says, it's free.

    Bob

    > So, since you have two choices one of which is to just use old virus
    > definitions, which one do you think will work good right now?

    I`m out of the loop for 3 weeks due to travel commitments, and I can`t
    install anything else right now due to the time constraints.

    Yes, i`d rather ditch anything by McAffee though, if you want a direct
    answer.

    Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >> So, since you have two choices one of which is to just use old virus
    >> definitions, which one do you think will work good right now?

    >I`m out of the loop for 3 weeks due to travel commitments, and I can`t
    >install anything else right now due to the time constraints.
    >
    >Yes, i`d rather ditch anything by McAffee though, if you want a direct
    >answer.

    You *have* had a bad spell haven't you? First the XP SP2
    install, now this.

    Did your relative/you make it clear to McAfee that this was not
    the installation on her old machine, but a completely new copy of
    McAfee on a completely new machine?

    IME, this shouldn't happen - and hasn't to me, on any program
    that I have multiple copies of registered on multiple machines
    with the same email address/personal address. [My computer, my
    wife's computer, my home office computer. Add to that
    registrations on personal utilities stuff from work computers at
    two sites, again with my email address, albeit with the company's
    street address.]

    Agree with others, though, that even if McAfee misunderstood, one
    of the freebie/shareware AV progs might suit your relative better
    than the McAfee trial copy. Not to mention easing your future as
    that relative's computer guru. ;->
    --
    OJ III

    > Did your relative/you make it clear to McAfee that this was not
    > the installation on her old machine, but a completely new copy of
    > McAfee on a completely new machine?

    No option to let them know anything - you either register as a new user,
    which it refused to let her do with her existing (recognised) email
    address, or it locks you out as an "expired licence" user if you use your
    existing (recognised) email address to log in...

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:30:41 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote in

    >> Did your relative/you make it clear to McAfee that this was not
    >> the installation on her old machine, but a completely new copy of
    >> McAfee on a completely new machine?
    >
    > No option to let them know anything - you either register as a new user,
    > which it refused to let her do with her existing (recognised) email
    > address, or it locks you out as an "expired licence" user if you use your
    > existing (recognised) email address to log in...

    Did you try sending the McAfee folks an email explaining the situation?

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >> Did your relative/you make it clear to McAfee that this was not
    >> the installation on her old machine, but a completely new copy of
    >> McAfee on a completely new machine?

    >No option to let them know anything - you either register as a new user,
    >which it refused to let her do with her existing (recognised) email
    >address, or it locks you out as an "expired licence" user if you use your
    >existing (recognised) email address to log in...

    You always have the option of emailing or calling them, and Dell
    at the same time. Letting McAfee know that this is a new
    machine, and that your relative is entitled, certainly as part of
    McAfee's OEM agreement with Dell, to activate the McAfee software
    on their new Dell with whatever email address the relative
    chooses to use. That the status of your relatives old machine,
    and the McAfee software installed on it is none of McAfee's
    business, since this doesn't involve that copy of McAfee's
    software, but a totally new, totally separate license. That you
    are advising Dell that McAfee is not living up to their agreement
    with Dell, and is throwing roadblocks in the way of your
    relative's attempts to activate the McAfee software installed on
    the new Dell.
    --
    OJ III

    If you download XP's SERVICE PACK 2 upgrade from Microsoft...it has an
    updated virus scan and firewall (and I don't mean the cheap little firewall
    XP comes with).
    Gary

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 05:09:04 GMT, Gary Avrett wrote in

    > If you download XP's SERVICE PACK 2 upgrade from Microsoft...it has an
    > updated virus scan and firewall (and I don't mean the cheap little firewall
    > XP comes with).

    I must not have downloaded the same SP2 version you did. All I got was the
    updated firewall. :-)

    "Gary Avrett" <designer852@sbcglobal.net_nospam> wrote:
    >If you download XP's SERVICE PACK 2 upgrade from Microsoft...it has an
    >updated virus scan and firewall

    The free SP2 CD-ROM comes with a free virus scanner, but SP2 download
    doesn't have any anti-virus components.

    My apologies...I just checked it again...it just monitors your Antivirus
    software for needed updates...

    You are correct...firewall only...
    I did not notice this as I have Norton Antivirus...I figured it was virus
    protections since it was wording in similar manner to their updated
    firewall.
    Gary

Dell Computers