Heatsink question

G

I was wondering if heatsinks fall-off/slip-off/become unlocked etc,etc......very often? I'm a week or two away from my first build and have done alot of research, but the potiential heat issues I keep hearing about for AMD athlons concerns me. Have any of you had heatsinks come off? I've seen tests where the heatsink comes off a 1.4 AMD t-bird and in seconds the cpu & mobo are toast; whereas the P4 doesnt even get damaged.

One last question. I've read and heard that AMD cpu's and mobo's with the VIA chipset have more compatability issues with hardware and certain software and was wondering what your personal take was on this subject. Hearing SOOOOO many conflicting views/reports makes it hard for someone to make a decision.

Thanks and I wait eagerly for your views/comments

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Heatsinks falling off are very rare, I dont think anyone in this forum has had ont fall off during operation. The slight chance it could happen is not good enough justification to spend 500 bucks more for a p4 of equlavent speed.

As for compatability issues, via is not as stable as other chipsets, however, with proper drive installation 99% of via systems never have a single problem. VIA offers the fastest athlon solution available(kt266a) but if you do not want to risk the small chance of an issue or incompatability, get the sis735 chipset instead. The board with this chipset is a great value coming in at just under 70 bucks. Other board using this chipset are soon to be released.(or already have , I am not sure).

Dont worry about buying an athlon, as long as you are careful installing the heatsink and install the 4 in 1 drivers(if you go with via) you should be fine.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

TRENDING THREADS