PR ratings are not what we think! Says AMD.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
http://www.theinquirer.net/07100104.htm

You’ll know by now that the Athlon XP 1800+ runs actually runs at a clock speed of 1.53GHz. Yet it’s called the 1800+ plus because that equates to the speed the chip would be running at if it were a plain old ‘vanilla’ Athlon, our AMD source claims.

Likewise, the 1500+ actually runs at a clock speed of 1.33GHz, but equates, according to AMD, to the Athlon based on the previous core.
Interesting, if that is true that explains why the 1.53ghz xp is only labeled as 1800(when that measure is OVERLY conservative) because its compared to the equavalent speed of a TBIRD! NOT a p4.

Interesting, any thoughts?

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Um, yes it does, I just tested it.

Copy the whole thing into your browser and press enter.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/07100104.htm" target="_new">here you go!</A>

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmmm.... PR ratings to show how fast the new processors are in relation to their older products?

Sorry to say, but, nope, I don't believe it.......

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

On the contrary, I think this is correct! 1.4*1.15=1.6 (Pallys' speed gain over TB). By the way, if the PR was based on Pentium4, then the 1.53GHz XP would be PR2200 and not PR1800!

***A-Man***

...is it?...NO, it's AnotherMan...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, that is a bit hard to believe. That would mean that the AthlonXP will be even faster per clock than an Athlon MP.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, that is a bit hard to believe. That would mean that the AthlonXP will be even faster per clock than an Athlon MP.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

AMD-Man, XP and MP share the same Palomino core. They have exactly the same performance per clock basis. The Palomino is however approximately 15% faster than the older ThunderBird core (at the same freq.). Thus the new PR rating!

***A-Man***

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It still seems a bit high. I mean 15% improvement? I thought the average Palomino is 10% faster per clock. Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see.

G

Yes, the performance boost lies normally between 5-15%, but on SSE optimized code the boost is probably up to 50%! So, well, AMD have to choose some even number, and on the average code (there are more and more SSE coming) I think 15% is no overestimation...

***A-Man***

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, there are also SSE2-enabled programs coming so let's hope the AthlonXP can still edge out the Pentium4 in performance after the Northwood arrives although the Northwood would be nice if Intel can keep the prices reasonable. Nowadays, $500+ for a processor is unreasonable.

G

Yeah, $500 for a CPU is (today) insane. But, since 1998/99 there is only one company (guess who...) that have those sick numbers. And regarding SSE2, in a year or two when possibly some softwares supports those extensions, then AMD's products will too! (Hammer etc.)

***A-Man***

well ... think about it... athlonxp 1.53 = a tbird 1.8ghz. thats what they say right.. so what is so hard to believe that?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

G

Well, I personally have no problems at all with that. The problems seemes to be with the Intelipeople who have found a new nonsense thing to make a fuzz about...

***A-Man***

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Uhm...

Isn't this what I said over a month ago? That the PR rating seems to be more about the XP's performance increase over TBird rather than comparison to the P4?

Anyways...
greetings from Yazd, Iran. The weather is great here...the people drive like they are ALL in the middle of a road race rally! Trust me...you do NOT want to drive in Iran!

lol

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Pfft, that's nothing. Check out the Visitor's Guide to Driving in Dallas, TX (sent to me by a co-worker):

1. First you must learn to pronounce the city name. It is DAH-LUS, or DAA-LIS depending on if you live inside or outside LBJ Freeway.

2. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Dallas has its own version of traffic rules: hold on and pray.

3. All directions start with, "Go down Belt Line" ...which has no beginning and no end.

4. The Chamber of Commerce calls getting through traffic "a scenic drive."

5. The morning rush hour is from 6:00 to 10-ish. The lunch rush hour is from 11:00 to 2:00--so plan your hunger accordingly. The evening rush hour is from 3:00 to 7-ish. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning.

6. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will get rear-ended, cussed out, and possibly shot. When you are the first one on the starting line, count to five when the light turns green before going to avoid getting into any cross-traffic's way.

7. Arapaho Road can only be pronounced by a native. The same holds true for Wycliff Avenue, Worcola St. & Sul Ross.

8. Construction on Central Expressway is a way of life and a permanent form of entertainment.

9. All unexplained sights are explained by the phrase, "Oh, we are in Fort Worth!" [Fort Worth is a nearby city]

10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, it's probably a factory defect.

11. All old ladies with blue hair in Cadillacs have the right of way.

12. Story Road mysteriously changes names as you cross intersections.

13. If asking directions in the Irving side, you must be bilingual. [Irving is another nearby city]

14. Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport has eight terminal buildings connected by one tram that never works.

15. A trip across town (east to west) will take a minimum of four hours, although many north/south freeways have unposted minimum speeds of 75. The minimum acceptable speed on the Dallas North Toll Road is 85. Anything less is considered downright sissy.

16. The wrought iron on windows near Oak Cliff isn't ornamental.

17. Never stare at the driver of the car with the bumper sticker that says, "Keep honking. I'm reloading." In fact, don't honk at anyone. Concealed weapons are a jealously guarded God-given right.

18. The parks in the Park Cities are for those residents only. If you have an out-of-state driver's license, you will probably be let out of jail in a couple of hours after a stern lecture from the judge.

19. There is no such thing as a dangerous high-speed chase in Dallas. We all drive like that.

20. The sign on the freeway that says, "Slower traffic keep right" IS there for your safety. This rule also applies to neighborhood streets.

21. If it's 100 degrees, Thanksgiving must be next weekend.

22. If it's 10 degrees and sleeting/snowing, the Fort Worth Livestock Show is going on.

23. If it's rained 6 inches in the last hour, the Byron Nelson Golf Classic is in the second round.

24. Any amusement parks, stadiums, arenas, race tracks, airports, etc. are conveniently located as far away from EVERYTHING as possible so as to allow for ample parking on grassy areas.

25. If you need to ask for directions, get ALL the names of the street you are being told to turn onto...we intermix numbers, letters, and names for the same road, and even tend to make a few up as we grow older. And remember, no street is perfectly north/south or east/west in the whole area. Those directionals are not meant to be taken literally nor does any road maintain
the same compass heading for more than a mile. If your Mapsco is more than two weeks old, throw it out and buy a new one.
<i><kidding></i>
You guys drive like pansies. We laugh at j00. :tongue:
<i></kidding></i>

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

G

It's all bullshit. Palominos are only some 5% faster than current T-Birds. It's in every benchmark. PR-RATING is a comparison to P4, not old Athalon. BTW, I think that Hammer will be the death not of Intel, but of AMD. They started to develop it to early. It will not scale with Intel's CPUs after P4. How sad.

G

Well, as I said before, PR rating can't possibly be based on P4 performance, because then the XP 1.53GHz should rate PR2200! (or P4 2.0 should be called PR1500, chose whatever...)

"Tomorrow will be a nice day!"

***A-Man***

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Did you notice the troll post after only having his account for 40 mins or so.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

Gozer

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
Well, what ever, I don't care as long as #1 It's fast; #2 It's faster; #3 It's the fastest....and #4 AMD can make a bit of money and keep out of the red.

Do you smell that? I love the smell of thermal compound in the morning

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
LOL Kell!

Well.. let's see..

in all the cities in Iran there is one KEY rule to driving.

That rule is.. ALWAYS make a left turn through a minimum of 3 lanes of traffic oncoming and moving in the same direction as you.

A sub rule is this:

Always make your left turn even though the oncoming traffic is moving at 30-50kph AND is backed up for 500 meters.

Speed limits go lik this:

whatever the speed limit is posted go double. So, if the posted speed limit is 50kph in the downtown area and traffic circles, go 100kph. On highways, the number is only 50%...so, 100kph speed limit moves to 140-150kph as it's not really feasible to go much faster. This is a limitation of the vehicles, NOT the roads. Kia subcompacts just can't seem to go much faster than 140kph.

Other, less important rules to pedestrian traffic is:

If you are at a red light and the traffic going through in the other direction seems a bit slow, feel free to force your way through it, ignoring the red light.

Never cross in the crosswalk. Cars will aim for you!
Always expect cars to drive down the sidewalks if they are wide enough for vehicuular traffic
Expect cars to drive on either side of you, grazing you as you meander across the streets through heavy oncoming traffic.

Finally, on mountainous roads, be prepared to pass other vehicles on blind corners....you must believe that the vehicle you are passing will slow down if another car is coming around the corner in another direction, letting you squeeze in front of it.

On a serious note: This country of 65 million or so has over 60,000 highway deaths each year, compared to the US's 55,000 among our 250 million+ population. This is due in large part to the above listed driving behaviors. Of course, motorcyclists tend to be involved in many accidents and with yupwards of 4 or 5 people on a small motorcycle, the numbers grow pretty fast.

Mark-

PS: I'm back in the good ole USA!!

Yay!!

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
No [-peep-]. This is published by AMD themselves, yet evidently he has evidence that AMD is not comparing the AthlonXP's to the Athlon Tbirds.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue: