The HAMMER is to be a desktop chip.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
http://www.theinquirer.net/07100104.htm

The company has made a number of ‘tweaks’ to the core, our source claims, including adding hardware data prefetch and enhancing the performance of the translation lookaside buffer. The improved address calculations account for some 95 per cent of the enhanced performance of the core, we are told.

AMD also claims its SSE instructions are ‘faster than Intel’s. "Although the XP core uses .18 micron technology, even the move to .13 micron processes won’t allow Athlon to scale as far as the Pentium 4," said the source.

Instead, AMD’s 64-bit chip, Hammer, will a run 32-bit instruction set and will appear on the desktop, where Intel’s exclusively 64-bit Itanium won’t go. Hammer will begin sampling 'next year.' µ
Hmmm, another interesting one. The Hammer released for the desktop next year. I can't wait to see what its specs are.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
WHAT HAVE I BEEN TELLING YOU!?!?!?!?!?!?

but your all like "No! It is a server chip, Intel still rules"!

Bah you all suck.

<font color=red>umtqyvutkhgjvqffpcvpgrgtfocpgnnchvtcwqjvgepgjyoqthgtqhgtgjvtgdogogt....74pqkvcngxgt</font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I've never said it's only a server chip. Sledgehammer is server, Clawhammer is desktop (last time I checked).

BTW, nice to see you back in the CPU section :)

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
it <i>will</i> be their 32bit processor. as well as added 64bit capability.

<font color=red>umtqyvutkhgjvqffpcvpgrgtfocpgnnchvtcwqjvgepgjyoqthgtqhgtgjvtgdogogt....74pqkvcngxgt</font color=red>

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Hey I thought SLEDGEHAMMER was for server and CLAWHAMMER for the desktop.

I don't know what it is but I have a bad feeling about it.

<font color=purple> **Life is too short to be pissed off all the time.**</font color=purple>

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
If I had a Hammer... I'ld hammer in the morning...
I'ld hammer in the evening... All over this land. :redface:

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek: