Sign in with
Your question

OEM vs. Retail processors

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2001 10:59:07 AM

What do y'all think about the value (or lack thereof) of purchasing a retail boxed Athlon versus an OEM version?

Any danger/downside to the OEM?

More about : oem retail processors

October 8, 2001 11:02:00 AM

You get a tolerable heatsink and fan, and a 3 year warranty...thats about it.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2001 11:06:52 AM

So in your opinion it's better to go with an OEM and buy a better heatsink/fan combo for it?
Related resources
October 8, 2001 11:09:15 AM

If you are not overclocking its about 50/50, if you like the 3 year warranty go for the retail. I personally would buy the oem and get a NICE heatsink.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 8, 2001 3:22:58 PM

Eh, I got the retail, and really, I just felt more comfortable with a retail product, and it only cost a few bucks more. Yes, the HSF isn't all that great, but really, unless you overclock, it's really no big deal.

-SammyBoy
October 8, 2001 6:20:44 PM

How who handled it? The next time I buy, is it worth it to get a retail because they'd handle it better?

Kernel32.dll error...aw, son of a.... :eek: 
October 8, 2001 6:23:25 PM

Most oem chips come with a 30 day warantee(or 10 days) if it was handled badly it wont work when you get it and you can return it. The only difference between retail and oem is the warantee and hsf, that is ALL.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 8, 2001 8:20:54 PM

Many reputable dealers will sell OEM chips with a 1 year warranty, such as mwave.com. In this situation, there is not much advantage to retail.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2001 10:49:44 PM

All of my previous processors have been retail boxed, as well as the majority of all my pc components, for that matter. As far as the overclocking aspect goes, I haven't decided. I imagine that initially even the 1.4 coupled with everything else I plan to get will be soooo fast in comparison to my current setup that I won't overclock. However, I would not totally rule it out, and I'm buying components which are known to be overclocking-friendly :) 
!