How to quiet my CPU?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Alright, I'm starting to get annoyed with the noise of my 2 80mm High Speed Sunon fans, and the Papst fan on my MC370-0A. Plus, the Swiftech is making a rattling sound, and Gabe Rouchon told me to RMA it. (I hope 7 months isn't too late.) So, I was thinking of buying a cheezier HSF from PC Club in Monrovia, then turning off the case fans. I don't really do any intensive stuff anyways. What do you think? Any suggestions?

My Rig:
Asus A7V133
850 TBird with Swiftech MC370-0A
256MB SDRAM
ATI Radeon 32MB SDRAM
SB Live! Value
3Com NIC
30GB IBM 75GXP Deskstar
HP CDWriter 9150i 8x4x32

Kernel32.dll error...aw, son of a.... :eek:

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Be very careful. Your processor does not contain any built-in thermal protection. If you do not apply adequate cooling you can destroy it. You should monitor the temperature using your motherboard's sensors. I have heard of some third party applications that will activate/deactivate the fans based on the current temperature. You might want to investigate these further.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Alright, I just bought the <A HREF="http://www.coolermaster.com/products/cpucooler/fcpga/dp5-6h51.html" target="_new">Coolermaster DP5-6H51</A>. It's rated at 17.3 CFM and 34.5dBA. I'm gonna be very careful, espcecially since I don't gots that much moneys... :lol: Seriously, I'm using a Compunurse to monitor my CPU core temperature.

I'm glad that Gabe was so prompt to email me back. He told me to RMA it and get a replacement, but that was <b>four months ago!</b> I was gone this summer, so I couldn't do it. But, now I'm taking action. Hopefully, I can just get the MCX370-0A. BTW, I bought it from CrazyPC.com (if that matters).

Thanks for your concern, Raystonn... :smile:

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Update:
I've just gotten home. I was about to open up my case and change it, until I saw this stuff at the bottom of the heatsink I just bought. If I don't wanna use it, I have to scrape it off with a flat knife, then remove the gunk using alcohol. What the freak!?! This'll be my first, and only, CoolerMaster heatsink. I never wanna have to go through the trouble of scraping this junk off. Plus, it's kinda scratching it up. Oh well...back to scraping...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
methinks you have 3 options available to you.

1. get a slower speed fan for that MCX-370 (being such a good HSF it should still cool acceptably)

2. get a mid speed 80mm fan and a 60mm to 80mm adaptor. get a slower bigger fan pushing air through a 60mm fan area.

3. get a different heatsink, on that has a stock slow fan or 80mm fan (swiftech 462A springs to mind)

opps forgot... 2 more

4. turn your PC off!

5. wear earmuffs!

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
1. When I get the replacement, I do plan to get a slower fan (probably a YS Tech). I mean, I can't just let it sit there. The reason why I bought it was because I have to have a backup in order to return my MC370-0A.

2. I haven't read good reviews about those adapters. But, perhaps that's up my alley, since I'm just trying to quiet my PC.

3. I already bought a different heatsink for now...didn't you read above??? :smile: (Just kidding around)

Thanks for the suggestions!

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Update:
After scraping most the junk off the new cheezy heatsink, I installed it. I removed the 2x80mm Sunon fans, and installed this one ball bearing fan I bought from Fry's as an intake. (No exhaust yet, I'll do it later.) But, I did run one Demo of 3DMark2001, plus 30 minutes of the Toast burn-in. I think it got up to 57°C (I didn't write it down). After 30 minutes of rest, my compunurse currently reads 47.4°C and steady. That's not too hot, right? At least it's pretty darn quiet now, too! I'm fired up! Besides, I'm not overclocking, and I'll probably upgrade in a year or so.

I'm gonna return my MC370-0A, and plan to buy a MCX370-0A, with a slower fan. If it all works out, I'll be using an MCX370-0A in about a month (I hope).

Thanks for all the help! Any other suggestions? I'm always open for more... :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
oh yeah... i heard a MCX-370 in action recently.
not a bad little unit, and they did good in removing the deltra screamer.
the quality of the HS is good enough that it doesnt need a super fast fan.

dang... the supplier in my city is all out of swiftech 462A's :( :( :(

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.