gah - too many bus numbers!

G

Getting confused about how the bus numbers interact. Starting a new comp mostly from scratch and am abandoning my PIII MB and CPU for an Athlon combo. At first I was mainly concerned with the motherboard bus speed and RAM, but now am not sure how the CPU FSB speed affects the motherboard choices and how (if any) it affects the PCI speeds.

This all started with me wondering why the 200 FSB Athlons were more expensive than the 266s...

Any info or links to pages with explanations would be most appreciated. Thanks!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
no
athlon C's are better with their 266 double pumped bus.
ie. 133 double pumped is 266.

the 200 is more expensive cauz of marketing... namely supply and demand.
probably a lower demand, with an even lower number made, so the price goes up a little.

you can see the same thing with PC133 & PC100 sdram too.

as for links... SEARCH THIS BOARD.
u wil find hundreds

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Since the 266MHz bus speed is the newer one, AMD produces these in larger numbers. Fast processors with a 200MHz bus are therefore considered a specialty item for older systems. 266MHz gives you better performance.

Back to you Tom...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Also, the only difference physically between the two is the clock multiplier default, 99.99993929482394% of all athlon b's will run at 133/266 if you lower the multiplier to compensate.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~