Vampire question

Hi all

Is there any way to harm a vampire that has been forced into a gaseous form?
This is using 3.5 D&D

John 'Cawrie' Lawrie

David Johnston wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 00:13:37 GMT, "John Lawrie" <cawrie@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all
> >
> >Is there any way to harm a vampire that has been forced into a
gaseous form?

> Do you have a really big fan?

One of my chick friends has a really big fan. She's not really into
him, though. You're saying he could help her with vampires?

Laszlo

John Lawrie wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Is there any way to harm a vampire that has been forced into a gaseous form?
> This is using 3.5 D&D
>
> John 'Cawrie' Lawrie

Sunlight, greater turning, holy water, etc. (Though with holy water,
maybe you'd
have to boil it first to make it holy steam...)

John Lawrie <cawrie@ntlworld.com> writes
>Hi all
>
>Is there any way to harm a vampire that has been forced into a gaseous form?
>This is using 3.5 D&D

PHB p234 (description for gaseous form spell):

"...material armour becomes worthless, though its size, Dex, deflection
bonuses, and armour bonuses from force effects...still apply. The
subject gains DR 10/magic and becomes immune to poison and critical
hits."

MM p252 (vampire's gaseous form ability):

"...assume gaseous form at will as the spell..."

--
Ian R Malcomson
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box"

Ian R Malcomson wrote:
> John Lawrie <cawrie@ntlworld.com> writes
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Is there any way to harm a vampire that has been forced into a gaseous
>> form?
>> This is using 3.5 D&D
>

> PHB p234 (description for gaseous form spell):
>
> "...material armour becomes worthless, though its size, Dex, deflection
> bonuses, and armour bonuses from force effects...still apply. The
> subject gains DR 10/magic and becomes immune to poison and critical hits."
>
> MM p252 (vampire's gaseous form ability):
>
> "...assume gaseous form at will as the spell..."

He says "forced into a gaseous form," so I think he means one that
already has been reduced to 0 hit points.

Still...

Monster Manual, page 252 (Fast Healing Ability):
"Any additional damage dealt to a vampire forced into gaseous form has
no effect."

However, the vampire must reach its coffin within two hours of being
dropped to 0 hp. So if you can keep it from its coffin, you will kill
the vampire.

Also, there is nothing to indicate gaseous form makes a vampire immune
to sunlight. So you may be able to destroy the vampire by forcing it
into sunlight somehow.

Other than those methods, it doesn't look like there's anything you can do.

-Tialan

Ian R Malcomson wrote:
> John Lawrie <cawrie@ntlworld.com> writes
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Is there any way to harm a vampire that has been forced into a gaseous
>> form?
>> This is using 3.5 D&D
>

> PHB p234 (description for gaseous form spell):
>
> "...material armour becomes worthless, though its size, Dex, deflection
> bonuses, and armour bonuses from force effects...still apply. The
> subject gains DR 10/magic and becomes immune to poison and critical hits."
>
> MM p252 (vampire's gaseous form ability):
>
> "...assume gaseous form at will as the spell..."

He's saying that a vampire is forced into gaseous form at 0 hp. Since
vampires (or any undead)
don't have the ability to go negative on hit points, how can you hurt
them once they get to zero?

You can't with hit point damage, but you can with greater turning,
sunlight, etc. Gaseous form doesn't
provide you with immunity from spells or supernatural effects. Even
holy water (holy steam?) should
work, since it works on incorporeal undead.

Some Guy wrote:
> Ian R Malcomson wrote:
>
>> John Lawrie <cawrie@ntlworld.com> writes
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Is there any way to harm a vampire that has been forced into a
>>> gaseous form?
>>> This is using 3.5 D&D
>>

>> PHB p234 (description for gaseous form spell):
>>
>> "...material armour becomes worthless, though its size, Dex,
>> deflection bonuses, and armour bonuses from force effects...still
>> apply. The subject gains DR 10/magic and becomes immune to poison and
>> critical hits."
>>
>> MM p252 (vampire's gaseous form ability):
>>
>> "...assume gaseous form at will as the spell..."
>>

> He's saying that a vampire is forced into gaseous form at 0 hp. Since
> vampires (or any undead)
> don't have the ability to go negative on hit points, how can you hurt
> them once they get to zero?
>
> You can't with hit point damage, but you can with greater turning,
> sunlight, etc. Gaseous form doesn't
> provide you with immunity from spells or supernatural effects. Even
> holy water (holy steam?) should
> work, since it works on incorporeal undead.

Or you could do a Wall of Stone in its hemisphere form around the
gaseous form, and since the Wall melds with surrounding stone, there are
no cracks. Two hours later--BLAM!! destroyed vampire!

"David Johnston" <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 00:13:37 GMT, "John Lawrie" <cawrie@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>Is there any way to harm a vampire that has been forced into a gaseous
>>form?
>
> Do you have a really big fan?

OR

Can a char in party conjure forth an elemental from the Plane of Air?

--
--==--
Jerry Chesko

Dormammu <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> you up next, work it out now.

>Some Guy wrote:
>> Ian R Malcomson wrote:
>>
>>> John Lawrie <cawrie@ntlworld.com> writes

>>> PHB p234 (description for gaseous form spell):
>>>
>>> "...material armour becomes worthless, though its size, Dex,
>>> deflection bonuses, and armour bonuses from force effects...still
>>> apply. The subject gains DR 10/magic and becomes immune to poison and
>>> critical hits."
>>>
>>> MM p252 (vampire's gaseous form ability):
>>>
>>> "...assume gaseous form at will as the spell..."
>>>

>> He's saying that a vampire is forced into gaseous form at 0 hp. Since
>> vampires (or any undead)
>> don't have the ability to go negative on hit points, how can you hurt
>> them once they get to zero?
>>
>> You can't with hit point damage, but you can with greater turning,
>> sunlight, etc. Gaseous form doesn't
>> provide you with immunity from spells or supernatural effects. Even
>> holy water (holy steam?) should
>> work, since it works on incorporeal undead.
>
>Or you could do a Wall of Stone in its hemisphere form around the
>gaseous form, and since the Wall melds with surrounding stone, there are
>no cracks. Two hours later--BLAM!! destroyed vampire!

Nit.

That assumes that there are no cracks in the existing stone.

Bill
--
By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may eventually
get to be boss and work twelve hours a day. - Robert Frost

Wildwood wrote:
> Dormammu <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> you up next, work it out now.
>

>>Some Guy wrote:

>>>He's saying that a vampire is forced into gaseous form at 0 hp. Since
>>>vampires (or any undead)
>>>don't have the ability to go negative on hit points, how can you hurt
>>>them once they get to zero?
>>>
>>>You can't with hit point damage, but you can with greater turning,
>>>sunlight, etc. Gaseous form doesn't
>>>provide you with immunity from spells or supernatural effects. Even
>>>holy water (holy steam?) should
>>>work, since it works on incorporeal undead.
>>
>>Or you could do a Wall of Stone in its hemisphere form around the
>>gaseous form, and since the Wall melds with surrounding stone, there are
>>no cracks. Two hours later--BLAM!! destroyed vampire!
>

> Nit.
>
> That assumes that there are no cracks in the existing stone.
>
> Bill

That's taken care of, hopefully, by the wizard's high INT. Of course,
this doesn't
help sorcerors unless INT is their other high stat.

Wildwood wrote:
> Dormammu <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> you up next, work it out now.
>

>>Some Guy wrote:

>>>He's saying that a vampire is forced into gaseous form at 0 hp. Since
>>>vampires (or any undead)
>>>don't have the ability to go negative on hit points, how can you hurt
>>>them once they get to zero?
>>>
>>>You can't with hit point damage, but you can with greater turning,
>>>sunlight, etc. Gaseous form doesn't
>>>provide you with immunity from spells or supernatural effects. Even
>>>holy water (holy steam?) should
>>>work, since it works on incorporeal undead.
>>
>>Or you could do a Wall of Stone in its hemisphere form around the
>>gaseous form, and since the Wall melds with surrounding stone, there are
>>no cracks. Two hours later--BLAM!! destroyed vampire!
>

> Nit.
>
> That assumes that there are no cracks in the existing stone.
>
> Bill
You know what I mean, Mr. Smarty Pants

Locate Object to find and destroy the coffin.

- Ron ^*^