Dimension 4700

I have just bought a Dimension 4700. After reading this group for the
last year i decided to format and clean install xp home. All went well
except for three items in device manager that have the yellow "?".
1. ethernet
2. sm bus
3. unknown device.

I have tried the drivers on the dell cd,s, but cannot work these
problems out.
If anyone can help a newbie out i would be forever gratefull.

Sounds like you missed step one - the chipset software on your resource CD.

"Darren B" <"daz.bryan"@\"spamtrap\"btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>I have just bought a Dimension 4700. After reading this group for the last
>year i decided to format and clean install xp home. All went well except
>for three items in device manager that have the yellow "?".
> 1. ethernet
> 2. sm bus
> 3. unknown device.
>
> I have tried the drivers on the dell cd,s, but cannot work these problems
> out.
> If anyone can help a newbie out i would be forever gratefull.

Agree. When I had to reformat my 8300 in early March, the first thing I was
told to load back on after the installation of the XP was the chipset
software. I believe that it is listed as the first item on the Resource
disk.

I do have to admit reformatting the hard drive was the best thing I did for
the 8300 since it was bloated with stuff from Dell and it fixed a few things
that were not working the way they should have been from the beginning.

Chopperdad wrote:
> Agree. When I had to reformat my 8300 in early March, the first thing I was
> told to load back on after the installation of the XP was the chipset
> software. I believe that it is listed as the first item on the Resource
> disk.
>
> I do have to admit reformatting the hard drive was the best thing I did for
> the 8300 since it was bloated with stuff from Dell and it fixed a few things
> that were not working the way they should have been from the beginning.
>
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Sounds like you missed step one - the chipset software on your resource
>
> CD.
>
>>"Darren B" <"daz.bryan"@\"spamtrap\"btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have just bought a Dimension 4700. After reading this group for the
>
> last
>
>>>year i decided to format and clean install xp home. All went well except
>>>for three items in device manager that have the yellow "?".
>>>1. ethernet
>>>2. sm bus
>>>3. unknown device.
>>>
>>>I have tried the drivers on the dell cd,s, but cannot work these
>
> problems out.
>
>>>If anyone can help a newbie out i would be forever gratefull.

Thanks for the advice. Will it be ok to install these drivers now, or
will i have to re-re-format?

Good question. I guess you could add them now, but I've never heard any one
doing that, but it's worth a shot to try.

"Darren B" <"daz.bryan"@\"spamtrap\"btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:cikl50$3q6> >

> Thanks for the advice. Will it be ok to install these drivers now, or
> will i have to re-re-format?

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Darren B wrote:
> Chopperdad wrote:

<snip>

>> problems out.

> Thanks for the advice. Will it be ok to install these drivers now, or
> will i have to re-re-format?

I'd go ahead and install the chipset drivers. I had the same problem
when I reinstalled XP Pro 2 months ago. Worst case, if your computer
doesn't run properly you get to reload XP. My computer is fine, even
though the advice is to install the chipset drivers first.

Sparky wrote:
> Darren B wrote:
>
>> Chopperdad wrote:
>

> <snip>

>>> problems out.

>> Thanks for the advice. Will it be ok to install these drivers now, or
>> will i have to re-re-format?
>

> I'd go ahead and install the chipset drivers. I had the same problem
> when I reinstalled XP Pro 2 months ago. Worst case, if your computer
> doesn't run properly you get to reload XP. My computer is fine, even
> though the advice is to install the chipset drivers first.
I downloaded and installed the chipset drivers yesterday, with no
problems at all.
Thanks for the advice to all that replied.