MN700 - VPN not working over wireless

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My internet access works great both connected directly to
the MN700 router and over a wireless connection. My VPN
access works great when directly connected to the router,
but does not work over wireless connection. I get an
error message: "Missing Default Gateway MAC Address"

I have tried turing WEP off but this does not resolve the
issue. I do not understand why the VPN connection does
not work via a wireless connection but does work when
directly connected to the MN700.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

Many are having problems with VPN on the MN700.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

That's what it looks like...it's just strange that I have
no problem with VPN on the MN700 when I am physically
connected to it with a network cable but it doesn't work
with a wireless adapter.

Any help would be appreciated.

joker

The problem is that you need to be running WPA to be able to use a VPN
over wireless. The solutions are either use WPA for wireless security
or just use a wired connection when doing a VPN. This issue is actually
created by the OS & will happen with other wireless routers as well.

Eric wrote:

> My internet access works great both connected directly to
> the MN700 router and over a wireless connection. My VPN
> access works great when directly connected to the router,
> but does not work over wireless connection. I get an
> error message: "Missing Default Gateway MAC Address"
>
> I have tried turing WEP off but this does not resolve the
> issue. I do not understand why the VPN connection does
> not work via a wireless connection but does work when
> directly connected to the MN700.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

assistance.

time.

joker

It's because the MN-700 is not the correct type of server when it is not
using WPA. If you enable WPA on the MN-700 it becomes able to deal with
802.1x authentication which is the problem. This is not an issue on a
wired connection because the connection does not have to bridge from
wireless to a wired connection.

So the solutions are either use WPA or use a wire when you do your VPN
connection. Those are the only options I have found so far.