Windows 7 computer lags when transferring large files over network

wx7

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate with a 6-core AMD processor, 16GB RAM, SSD as primary. Whenever I transfer a large file over the network to another system the mouse and other applications will persistently hang for a second here and there as long as the transfer is in progress. I'm sending 8-10GB files over from the secondary 2TB 5400RPM drive and no resources are showing as maxed out so I don't get it. I'm thinking of trying a 3rd party file transfer solution again, but this still shouldn't be happening with the default.

I would ensure both your SATA and network drivers are up to date(you should also be running in AHCI mode). You are right you should not have issues like that.

Transferring from a SSD to a hard drive(if you happen to have windows on it) can MAX out the hard drive and cause some interesting slow downs.

This should be almost unheard of on a secondary drive as well.

You can try that but it will probably yield the same result. The lag is inevitable no matter what type of system you're running because you're pushing data back and forth. If the 2nd drive is installed in the computer that could also be a source of the lag as it is slower (5400 rpm) than the SSD your OS is on.

Filezilla used to be a good one to use but haven't used it in a long time.

Resources won't show as maxed because it's not one particular program causing the lag. How many files are you sending at once that are that size?

When you are sending files of that magnitude it's best to expect a bit of lag anyway.....unless you're running one of the world's little known super-computers.

wx7

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Transferring from a SSD to a hard drive(if you happen to have windows on it) can MAX out the hard drive and cause some interesting slow downs.

This should be almost unheard of on a secondary drive as well.

Transferring from one drive to another and overloading the disk in general, like with torrents, doesn't yield any slow downs. It's only using the network that renders it practically unusable until you cancel the transfer.

Resources won't show as maxed because it's not one particular program causing the lag. How many files are you sending at once that are that size?

It can be just one file of that size. I just sent a 3GB file and even that produced the same result.

What NIC are you using? This sounds like lag introduced by a NIC without interrupt moderation.

I'm using the on-board NIC from http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128510
I went in the device manager and checked on that function which it was enabled. I disabled it to notice a pretty decent speed increase on the file transfer.

Something interesting I noticed was having a list of large files on transfer from earlier was halted because there was another file with the same name . It had been sitting at that dialog for probably about 3 hours before I got back home and just pressed skip allowing the transfer to resume. When it resumed there was no latency until I started transferring a new file..

I should probably also mention that everything is fine when using other means to transfer things to networked devices like an FTP server.. only windows file sharing.

Have you grabbed the latest drivers?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3901#dl

I am not sure what windows does with a file error(same file ect), But i know I have left some like that and then when I clicked it was instant, it is almost like it does it anyway while waiting or something(must be in a way it can undo fast as well).

I would not call BT hard drive stressing. I would call transferring 10 gigabytes of images harder since small files are rather hard on hard drives if it can not place then sequentially. Most torrent clients tend to take the space even before the files are downloaded(they reserve the space) so they should not have to look for a place to write.

Either way, something is up.