Sign in with
Your question

5 REVIEWS ON AMD ATHLON XP 1800!!!!!

Last response: in CPUs
October 9, 2001 12:37:17 PM

<A HREF="http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=124" target="_new">AMD Athlon XP 1800+ Processor and Technology Review @ Amdmb.com</A>
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1543" target="_new">AMD Athlon XP Review @ Anandtech </A>
<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/cpus/amd/1533xp/" target="_new">AMD Athlon XP Review @ [H]ard|OCP </A>
<A HREF="http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2001q4/athlonxp/inde..." target="_new">AMD Athlon XP Review @ Tech-Report </A>
<A HREF="http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?command=view&ID=843" target="_new">AMD Athlon XP Review @ OcPrices </A>
October 9, 2001 12:47:19 PM

The performance increase in the Athlon XP is astounding. Yet it is still .18 micon based. How will the next generation of Athlon processors at .13 micron perform?

Prices on Athlon XP's are already coming down.

Intel had better hit 3ghz soon.....

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
October 9, 2001 12:52:49 PM

AMD is KING AGAIN

much to MELTDOWN and FUGGERS chagrin
Related resources
October 9, 2001 1:26:39 PM

Congratulations to AMD for regaining the performance crown, just hope they will be able to keep up when Northwood comes out.

As I previously posted (Titled: Skewed Athon XP benchmarks) there are issues with Windows Media Encoder. Yet again Microsoft is to blame lets hope they release patch for it soon.

I can’t understand is why Microsoft Media Encoder uses the CPUID string ‘GenuineIntel’ to determine whether a CPU has SSE support…Duh ! I thought SSE was supposed to be an open standard meaning any CPU manufacturer can adopt the feature.

Athlon XP seems to be ok with other SSE enabled software. Maybe all this time Microsoft have been secretly supporting Intel by giving them the edge when it comes to SSE enabled applications…however I don’t have anything to back this up but it certainly makes you wonder.

Anyway back to the benchmarks quoting Anandtech:

<font color=blue>“At 1.53 GHz the Athlon XP is able to consistently outperform the Pentium 4, partially due to the incredible performance of the retail KT266A motherboard that we paired up with it.”</font color=blue>

The importance of a decent platform for the Athlon has become increasingly important if it is to compete with the P4. Since the KT266A is able to beat Intels fastest platform (850 chipset with Rambus) I would say things look quite good for AMD, especially with Nforce around the corner.

<font color=blue> “The Pentium 4 being the better gaming processor is clearly put to rest.”</font color=blue>

Athlon XP better at gaming which will please the PC gaming community.

<font color=blue> “In most cases , the P4 is outperformed on the order of 10% which is exactly the performance enhancement the 512kb on die L2 cache of Northwood is supposed to offer” </font color=blue>

This statement presents an interesting picture for 2002. I have summarised my thoughts below:

1) P4 Northwood will be on par with the Athlon XP.
2) Athlon XP Thoughbred (.13 micron) will outperform P4 Northwood assuming its cache is also increased.
3) P4 Northwood can be easily clocked higher up to 3GHz and over. Athlon XP can’t.
4) Therefore EVENTUALLY P4 Northwood will be able to beat Athlon XP because it can be clocked higher in a shorter time frame.
5) AMD Clawhammer is the only thing that will be able to beat the P4.

P.S PR rating is a waste of time.

<font color=purple> **Life is too short to be pissed off all the time.**</font color=purple>
October 9, 2001 3:28:37 PM

popegoldx, kudos, alas! your joy will be short lived, the next Intel offerings will piss all over your precious underdoggy, with true clockspeeds of 2+(no tradeoffs) *MD is no where near .13um and by the time they do Intel will be a 3+ trueGHz not ModelHz™ and they certainly will not coverup their clockspeed at boot-up like *MD does!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
October 9, 2001 3:40:02 PM

"Since the KT266A is able to beat Intels fastest platform (850 chipset with Rambus) I would say things look quite good for AMD, especially with Nforce around the corner."

I have not yet seen a review where ANY other common platform provides better memory performance than the i850. If you see one or more, please let me know. Also, nForce does not show much performance gain over nForce, since it is the CPU limiting bandwidth usage.

"1) P4 Northwood will be on par with the Athlon XP."

The statement you based this on does not support this, since Northwood will have a better FPU. That (should) give it the edge in 3D apps.

"2) Athlon XP Thoughbred (.13 micron) will outperform P4 Northwood assuming its cache is also increased."

This should be true. What will Intel have out at this time? Who knows. It might suck, it might be great.

"3) P4 Northwood can be easily clocked higher up to 3GHz and over. Athlon XP can’t."

True from all the reports I've heard.

"4) Therefore EVENTUALLY P4 Northwood will be able to beat Athlon XP because it can be clocked higher in a shorter time frame."

True, although when this would happen is up in the air.

"5) AMD Clawhammer is the only thing that will be able to beat the P4."

Did you forget #2? I thought you said Thoroughbred would beat the P4.

Just sharing my thoughts...

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
October 9, 2001 5:34:09 PM

Yeah ok in memory bandwidth the 850 is superior but not many apps take advantage of that, the app benchmarks show that. I have also heard a rumour in andandtech's artical that Nforce benchmarks in the future may be slighty better because of improved drivers.

P.S I mean in the long run Clawhammer is the only thing that will be able to stop the P4.

<font color=purple> **Life is too short to be pissed off all the time.**</font color=purple><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mr_gobbledegook on 10/09/01 01:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 9, 2001 5:45:31 PM

when does amd plan to release .13 mircron?
October 9, 2001 5:47:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah ok in memory bandwidth the 850 is superior but not many apps take advantage of that, the app benchmarks show that.

All the (fair) benchmarks I've seen still show the i850 in the lead, although it's now much closer.

October 9, 2001 6:49:18 PM

Im quite happy with my P4 @ 2.170Ghz that no AMD will ever be able to beat with my "selected benchmarks"

Go buy your champion CPU, pick your favorite FPS (quake, t2, CS, UT or Deltraforce Land Warrior) I would love to kick your ass silly like I do with everyone else. Your existing CPU is definitly no match for my P4 currently.

"Damn FUGGER what kind of machine you got?" - Q3A

Enjoy.
October 9, 2001 7:16:31 PM

Quote:
that no AMD will ever be able to beat with my "selected benchmarks"

That's a pretty broad statement. What about AMD's in the year 2010? Still not gonna be a match for your P4@2.17?
That is of course assuming that AMD and Intel are still in business.

I assume that post was directed to everyone, not me, BTW.

October 9, 2001 7:46:30 PM

Fugger, it's not worth bragging about. Say you have an app that runs 5% faster on a P4 2GHz than an Athlon XP 1800+. Would anyone notice that? No. The differences between the two processors are still too small. The overall winner is the Athlon XP but it isn't a very clear winner and there probably will never be a clear winner.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
October 9, 2001 7:50:48 PM

There are, however, clear losers. Such as everyone who buys a crappy Dell thinking it's going to be a good computer (like me) :( 
But I built a better one when I saw the light :) 

October 9, 2001 10:20:46 PM

You sound depressed, FUGGER. You depressed?

No need to get all worked up. Come back when you get out of the "denial" stage. :lol: 

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2001 10:54:03 PM

FUGGER, what "benchmarks" are you using. Your "supposed" 3DMARK2001 scores with a standard video card not o/ced are pure BS. It's obvious you made up that ss. And as for beating anyone at cs gimme a ring. Ill be glad to school you. (btw why the [-peep-] would u pay $$$ more for a p4 that doesnt perform better then a $200 athlon?
You just sound plain dumb to me.
October 9, 2001 10:59:08 PM

lol
I found a great comment by FUGGER. I'm not bringing this up to say he's stupid, I just think it's honestly funny:

Quote:
AMD users just have to learn that the P4 is your friend and will bring your cookies when your sad.

October 10, 2001 12:15:08 AM

Now FUGGER, arent you glad that by me HUMILIATING you and catching you in a lie you went out to buy that new processor that you are soo happy with. ;-)

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 10, 2001 12:16:33 AM

LOL, fugger said that? LOL.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 10, 2001 12:42:38 AM

Quote:
"1) P4 Northwood will be on par with the Athlon XP."

The statement you based this on does not support this, since Northwood will have a better FPU. That (should) give it the edge in 3D apps.

I have yet to see any conclusive evidence to support this claim do you have any linkage?

I wonder if SIS has a new revision of there 735 chipset that will support DDR333 in the works, alowing AMD to start utillizing a 166 double pumped FSB

Video editing?? Ha, I don't even own a camera!
October 10, 2001 1:27:53 AM

LOL Grizely1!!
"In spite of AMD's requests, EPoX's 8KHA+ appropriately reports the "real clock" of the CPU at POST"

I have Epox 8K7A+ I wonder how it'll run an XP 1800+.
I heard someone overclocked an 1800+ (1533 MHz) to some insane PR (1800 MHz) on the 8K7A+ like I have, only thing was that it was water cooled.
October 10, 2001 9:58:42 AM

Every time I hear one of my friends like say that "Dude, I got a Dell" thing I want to tell them the truth. But that wouldn't be right either since they just spent a lot of money (that could have been put toward quality components) and think they have bought the best. Making them feel bad would serve no purpose.
October 10, 2001 10:27:02 AM

AMD is allready tooling up for 0.13 micron.

the first chips are slated for late Q1/ early Q2 2002, with full conversion by the end of 2002.

as for performance increases for the athlon, i guess u could get the approximate ratio's from the pentium3 (0.18) to the tullatin (0.13)

similar sorts of voltage drops, heat reduction and Mhz increase.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
October 10, 2001 12:40:15 PM

<font color=red>WARNING! WARNING! WARNING WARNING!</font color=red>

<b>Fabricated Fugger Facts (FFF for short)</b>

Next comes the tantrum, and then the personal insults!

<font color=red>WARNING! WARNING! WARNING WARNING!</font color=red>

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
October 10, 2001 3:43:16 PM

Quote:
I have yet to see any conclusive evidence to support this claim do you have any linkage?

Talk to Raystonn, he has a Northwood.

October 10, 2001 7:27:06 PM

Unfortunatly rayy cant talk about his northwood due to his nda.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 10, 2001 7:50:38 PM

No, but he has given hints that Intel is not spouting BS this time. And he can tell us more than anybody else, however limited that may actually be.

October 10, 2001 7:54:11 PM

I'd buy a northwood p4 if it debuted at under $250. If it doens't then I wouldn't even consider it.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
October 10, 2001 8:57:34 PM

How much did you spend on that hydraulic case from 3DCool?

October 10, 2001 9:12:02 PM

$190 plus shipping. They didn't have the nmb 460watt's when I initially ordered my case so I had to get that seperate.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
October 11, 2001 1:43:35 AM

I would imagine it would run it pretty well, if that was it's testing board.

<font color=red>umtqyvutkhgjvqffpcvpgrgtfocpgnnchvtcwqjvgepgjyoqthgtqhgtgjvtgdogogt....74pqkvcngxgt</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2001 5:11:29 AM

It sounds like someone has a penis extension.
October 11, 2001 6:10:11 PM

"Now FUGGER, arent you glad that by me HUMILIATING you and catching you in a lie you went out to buy that new processor that you are soo happy with. ;-)"

Dude your in lala land, you were so owned its not even funny anymore.

http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?1611875

Lately I have been playing on "home lan federation" servers with 20+ people. bring it on girls.
October 11, 2001 7:36:07 PM

Quote:
Lately I have been playing on "home lan federation" servers with 20+ people.

And I bet your high MadOnion score helps your pings?

!