Dimension 8100 woes

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 which has slowly developed long boot times,
unexpected freezes (actually, now I expect them....), and a "NMI memory
parity error" when closing down. I hate to go out and buy new memory just
to find out this is not the problem. I've run a updated virus check which
was OK and a disk check (I use Norton) which, while it found a few bad
sectors, was otherwise OK. Any hints?
3 answers Last reply
More about dimension 8100 woes

    Tim wrote:
    > I have a Dell Dimension 8100 which has slowly developed long boot times,
    > unexpected freezes (actually, now I expect them....), and a "NMI memory
    > parity error" when closing down. I hate to go out and buy new memory just
    > to find out this is not the problem. I've run a updated virus check which
    > was OK and a disk check (I use Norton) which, while it found a few bad
    > sectors, was otherwise OK. Any hints?

    All of this sounds software (windows) related. Have you tried
    reinstalling your operating system?

    Bad sectors are a sign of more bad sectors to come and eventually a failed
    drive. Start with a new drive. Reinstall whatever version of Windows on the
    new drive. Salvage what programs and data you can from the old drive.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:43:50 GMT, "Tim" <tndcass@swbell.net> wrote:

    >I have a Dell Dimension 8100 which has slowly developed long boot times,
    >unexpected freezes (actually, now I expect them....), and a "NMI memory
    >parity error" when closing down. I hate to go out and buy new memory just
    >to find out this is not the problem. I've run a updated virus check which
    >was OK and a disk check (I use Norton) which, while it found a few bad
    >sectors, was otherwise OK. Any hints?

    I put in a drive I had around and now it seems to work, BUT I still get the
    memory parity error upon shutting down....
    > Bad sectors are a sign of more bad sectors to come and eventually a failed
    > drive. Start with a new drive. Reinstall whatever version of Windows on
    > the
    > new drive. Salvage what programs and data you can from the old drive.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:43:50 GMT, "Tim" <tndcass@swbell.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Dell Dimension 8100 which has slowly developed long boot times,
    >>unexpected freezes (actually, now I expect them....), and a "NMI memory
    >>parity error" when closing down. I hate to go out and buy new memory just
    >>to find out this is not the problem. I've run a updated virus check which
    >>was OK and a disk check (I use Norton) which, while it found a few bad
    >>sectors, was otherwise OK. Any hints?

Dell Dimension Computers