Now that I've got your attention....

My 7 month old Dimension system with the standard mechanical mouse has
developed an out-of-round mouse ball. If I take it out of the mouse and roll it
on a flat surface it doesn't roll straight and true. It also seems to be
weighted more heavily on one hemisphere as it always rests on a certain spot on
the ball. I'm sure my kids playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf practically
everyday contributed to this condition. (Don't buy this game or you will be up
to all hours.)

Is this defect covered under warranty?

--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the pros get their power!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

How did you plan to prove that the ball was defective when it left the
factory?

Mice are cheap. Buy a new one. And as long as you're buying, get an optical
mouse.

Ted Zieglar

> How did you plan to prove that the ball was defective when it left the
> factory?
>
> Mice are cheap. Buy a new one. And as long as you're buying, get an
> optical mouse.
>
> Ted Zieglar

Also really fine food crumbs don't bother optical mice like the mechanical
model. Trust me, I know :) I don't think Dell covers normal wear and
tear = your kids.

I have a Dell/Logitech optical wheel mouse here, and it has never given me a
spot of trouble.

Paul Riemerman

powrwrap@aol.compost (Alan S. Wales) wrote:
>My 7 month old Dimension system with the standard mechanical mouse has
>developed an out-of-round mouse ball.

>Is this defect covered under warranty?

Probably, though the hour you'll spend on the phone to get it repaired
would probably be better spent shopping for a new mouse, unnless your
time is worth nothing. Try an optical one, you'll never go back.

I didn't think they still made those. I have been using the wireless,
optical Microsoft mice for a few years now...I love them...The latest one I
got was the Microsoft Groovy mouse with horizontal and vertical scroll with
their new scroll wheel... on sale at office max or office something for
19.99..no mail in rebate junk

"Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message
> Now that I've got your attention....
>
> My 7 month old Dimension system with the standard mechanical mouse has
> developed an out-of-round mouse ball. If I take it out of the mouse and
> roll it
> on a flat surface it doesn't roll straight and true. It also seems to be
> weighted more heavily on one hemisphere as it always rests on a certain
> spot on
> the ball. I'm sure my kids playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf practically
> everyday contributed to this condition. (Don't buy this game or you will
> be up
> to all hours.)
>
> Is this defect covered under warranty?
>

> --
> "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
>
> See how the pros get their power!
> http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:16:46 -0400, William P.N. Smith wrote in

>>My 7 month old Dimension system with the standard mechanical mouse has
>>developed an out-of-round mouse ball.
>
>>Is this defect covered under warranty?
>
> Probably, though the hour you'll spend on the phone to get it repaired
> would probably be better spent shopping for a new mouse, unnless your
> time is worth nothing. Try an optical one, you'll never go back.

I agree 100%. I bought an optical mouse and the only regular non-optical
"mice" I have around the house are in boxes in the garage.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

Alan,

If you really want a ball for that mouse, post a throw-away email address
where I can contact you and I'll mail you one. What color and how many?

Joe

"Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message
> Now that I've got your attention....
>
> My 7 month old Dimension system with the standard mechanical mouse has
> developed an out-of-round mouse ball. If I take it out of the mouse and
> roll it
> on a flat surface it doesn't roll straight and true. It also seems to be
> weighted more heavily on one hemisphere as it always rests on a certain
> spot on
> the ball. I'm sure my kids playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf practically
> everyday contributed to this condition. (Don't buy this game or you will
> be up
> to all hours.)
>
> Is this defect covered under warranty?
>

> --
> "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
>
> See how the pros get their power!
> http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

o u t e n d wrote:

>>How did you plan to prove that the ball was defective when it left the
>>factory?
>>
>>Mice are cheap. Buy a new one. And as long as you're buying, get an
>>optical mouse.
>>
>>Ted Zieglar
>
> Also really fine food crumbs don't bother optical mice like the mechanical
> model. Trust me, I know :) I don't think Dell covers normal wear and
> tear = your kids.

Besides, mice are pretty cheap now (although a cordless optical model
will cost a few dinars). IMHO a mouse you've had several months isn't
worth the bother to fuss over with Dell.

YMMV

Brand and model of mouse? Not all mouse balls are equal. Some are larger than
others... Ben Myers

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:43:04 -0400, "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Alan,
>
>If you really want a ball for that mouse, post a throw-away email address
>where I can contact you and I'll mail you one. What color and how many?
>
>Joe
>
>"Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message
>> Now that I've got your attention....
>>
>> My 7 month old Dimension system with the standard mechanical mouse has
>> developed an out-of-round mouse ball. If I take it out of the mouse and
>> roll it
>> on a flat surface it doesn't roll straight and true. It also seems to be
>> weighted more heavily on one hemisphere as it always rests on a certain
>> spot on
>> the ball. I'm sure my kids playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf practically
>> everyday contributed to this condition. (Don't buy this game or you will
>> be up
>> to all hours.)
>>
>> Is this defect covered under warranty?
>>

>> --
>> "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
>>
>> See how the pros get their power!
>> http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

If it's the one Dell sent him, and it appears it is, I have a styrofoam cup
full of them. It would still be easier and cheaper if he just went out and
bought another mouse. I was sort of being a smart ass, but I will be glad to
mail him one - or two - or a dozen. ;-)

> Brand and model of mouse? Not all mouse balls are equal. Some are larger
> than
> others... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:43:04 -0400, "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Alan,
>>
>>If you really want a ball for that mouse, post a throw-away email address
>>where I can contact you and I'll mail you one. What color and how many?
>>
>>Joe
>>
>>"Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message
>>> Now that I've got your attention....
>>>
>>> My 7 month old Dimension system with the standard mechanical mouse has
>>> developed an out-of-round mouse ball. If I take it out of the mouse and
>>> roll it
>>> on a flat surface it doesn't roll straight and true. It also seems to be
>>> weighted more heavily on one hemisphere as it always rests on a certain
>>> spot on
>>> the ball. I'm sure my kids playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf practically
>>> everyday contributed to this condition. (Don't buy this game or you will
>>> be up
>>> to all hours.)
>>>
>>> Is this defect covered under warranty?
>>>

>>> --
>>> "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
>>>
>>> See how the pros get their power!
>>> http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

OK, you asked for this: What are you doing with a styrofoam cup of mouse
balls?

--
Ted Zieglar

"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> If it's the one Dell sent him, and it appears it is, I have a styrofoam
cup
> full of them. It would still be easier and cheaper if he just went out and
> bought another mouse. I was sort of being a smart ass, but I will be glad
> mail him one - or two - or a dozen. ;-)
>
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> > Brand and model of mouse? Not all mouse balls are equal. Some are
larger
> > than
> > others... Ben Myers
> >
> > On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:43:04 -0400, "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Alan,
> >>
> >>If you really want a ball for that mouse, post a throw-away email
address
> >>where I can contact you and I'll mail you one. What color and how many?
> >>
> >>Joe
> >>
> >>"Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message

I was wondering why it took so long. LOL

When we throw away an old mouse (and replace it with an optical) we keep the
mouse ball. No, I don't know why.

> OK, you asked for this: What are you doing with a styrofoam cup of mouse
> balls?
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> If it's the one Dell sent him, and it appears it is, I have a styrofoam
> cup
>> full of them. It would still be easier and cheaper if he just went out
>> and
>> bought another mouse. I was sort of being a smart ass, but I will be glad
>> mail him one - or two - or a dozen. ;-)
>>
>> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>> > Brand and model of mouse? Not all mouse balls are equal. Some are
> larger
>> > than
>> > others... Ben Myers

> address

> and
> be
> certain
> practically
> will

> "joe_tide" joetide@nowhere.com

>If it's the one Dell sent him, and it appears it is, I have a styrofoam cup
>full of them. It would still be easier and cheaper if he just went out and
>bought another mouse. I was sort of being a smart ass, but I will be glad to
>mail him one - or two - or a dozen. ;-)

LOL. Thanks to all that responded. It seems the hot ticket is to get an optical
mouse, which I will do when the using the mechanical one I have gets
unbearable.

The main reason for my post was curiosity over whether or not Dell would cover
this under warranty. If so, pursuing a replacement might make for a rather
amusing endeavor.

Joe, I might take you up on your replacement ball offer, but you must allow me
to send you the necessary postage ahead of time.

--

On 20 Sep 2004 19:09:03 GMT, powrwrap@aol.compost (Alan S. Wales)
wrote:

> which I will do when the using the mechanical one I have gets
>unbearable.

Somebody please buy this cheapskate an optical mouse.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

wrote:

>> "joe_tide" joetide@nowhere.com
>
>>If it's the one Dell sent him, and it appears it is, I have a styrofoam cup
>>full of them. It would still be easier and cheaper if he just went out and
>>bought another mouse. I was sort of being a smart ass, but I will be glad to
>>mail him one - or two - or a dozen. ;-)
>
>LOL. Thanks to all that responded. It seems the hot ticket is to get an optical
>mouse, which I will do when the using the mechanical one I have gets
>unbearable.
>
>The main reason for my post was curiosity over whether or not Dell would cover
>this under warranty. If so, pursuing a replacement might make for a rather
>amusing endeavor.
>
>Joe, I might take you up on your replacement ball offer, but you must allow me
>to send you the necessary postage ahead of time.

I can assure you that Tiger Woods works much better with an optical
mouse. Helped MY hook, anyway. :)

Dave

Is that why Tiger didn't do so well last weekend? He left his optical mouse at
home? ... Ben Myers

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:41:22 GMT, Dave <dmjohn29@REMOVE.hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 20 Sep 2004 19:09:03 GMT, powrwrap@aol.compost (Alan S. Wales)
>wrote:
>
>>> "joe_tide" joetide@nowhere.com
>>
>>>If it's the one Dell sent him, and it appears it is, I have a styrofoam cup
>>>full of them. It would still be easier and cheaper if he just went out and
>>>bought another mouse. I was sort of being a smart ass, but I will be glad to
>>>mail him one - or two - or a dozen. ;-)
>>
>>LOL. Thanks to all that responded. It seems the hot ticket is to get an optical
>>mouse, which I will do when the using the mechanical one I have gets
>>unbearable.
>>
>>The main reason for my post was curiosity over whether or not Dell would cover
>>this under warranty. If so, pursuing a replacement might make for a rather
>>amusing endeavor.
>>
>>Joe, I might take you up on your replacement ball offer, but you must allow me
>>to send you the necessary postage ahead of time.
>
>I can assure you that Tiger Woods works much better with an optical
>mouse. Helped MY hook, anyway. :)
>
>Dave

"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote:

>"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote

>> OK, you asked for this: What are you doing with a styrofoam cup of mouse
>> balls?

>I was wondering why it took so long. LOL
>
>When we throw away an old mouse (and replace it with an optical) we keep the
>mouse ball. No, I don't know why.

Unlike Ted, most of us just assumed you had a fetish for mouse
balls and didn't intend to ask. After all, we have our *own*
fetishes that most of us would prefer not to reveal to Google and
the world via Usenet. ;->
--
OJ III

LOL

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote
>
>>> OK, you asked for this: What are you doing with a styrofoam cup of mouse
>>> balls?
>
>>I was wondering why it took so long. LOL
>>
>>When we throw away an old mouse (and replace it with an optical) we keep
>>the
>>mouse ball. No, I don't know why.
>
> Unlike Ted, most of us just assumed you had a fetish for mouse
> balls and didn't intend to ask. After all, we have our *own*
> fetishes that most of us would prefer not to reveal to Google and
> the world via Usenet. ;->
> --
> OJ III
> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

TRENDING THREADS