OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Just doing a little research for a friend,

Will the SiS735 chipset support the new Athlon XP cores? EliteGroups K7S5A looks like a good, stable mobo, it's either that or the KT266A with the questionable VIA chipset (my friend needs stability *and* a good FPU on the processor for the work he does, hence he is not going Intel).

But will there be a bios upgrade for this mobo to support the new Athlon XP cores? I haven't been able to find a homepage for EliteGroups anywhere to ask them directly, so am looking for help here.

Thanks in advance,

Ozzie

G

I just bought a ECS K7S5A, it is still on route to my place, so I couldn't tell you off hand of whether or not it is the most stable board. I purchased the board because it was about $40 cheaper than anything else. Reviews concerning the board are very positive, so I don't feel too concerned that it might turn out to be a piece of trash. Have you tried their website at www.ecsusa.com, Elitegroup now manufactures under the ECS name. I don't know that much info about the new XP and its compatibility, but try their "knowledge base" you can post a message there, and one of their support techs will answer it pretty quickly.
I don't know what kind of work your friend does, I'm guessing something along the lines of 3D modeling, to have the need of a really good FPU for increased accuracy. I wish I could tell you how stable this board is, because he may want to go with one of the bigger names Abit or Asus, etc. I'll let you know when the thing finally gets here.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
yes the k7s5a supports the new XP's. i'm getting an 1800 next week. its a good performer. i got it because of the stability i've heard about it, priced considerably lower than most any other boards out their in it's performance range, didn't want to wait any longer for via's kt266a. i also liked the onboard audio/lan ( i'm not big into audio and really a lan hook up is a lan hook up). all in all i say its a really good board. though from reading others posts i'd have to say make sure you don't skimp out on a good psu.

Oct_7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
That's good news. :). BTW, how good is the on board SC? I have creative live value. Is it better than my creative?

Thx

Oct_7

[] [_] [-

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
EliteGroups K7S5A looks like a good, stable mobo, it's either that or the KT266A with the questionable VIA chipset (my friend needs stability *and* a good FPU on the processor for the work he does, hence he is not going Intel).

Stability king is intel.
FPU king is XP.

So if you find a good board with SIS 735 go for it.

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

FatBurger

Illustrious
BTW, how good is the on board SC? I have creative live value. Is it better than my creative?

It's the AC97 (I believe), which is renowned for being three things:
1. Cheap
2. Crap
3. Really crap

Keep your Live (or get something better, if you're looking for a better card)

P.s. If it's not AC97, I apologize for giving you bad info.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Go with the K7S5A, it's better than any other AMD board on the market now and the VIA chipset will need months to proove itself after it hits the street (because of their poor history).

Back to you Tom...

Oct_7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
well, I read from other thread in THG, i think under motherboard and chipset category, the ECS got some porblem. But dunno whether he was unlucky or the ECS not too good?
I hope that other big company will release their mb based with sis735. Just not too comfortable with ECS.

well, just my opinion.

Oct_7

[] [_] [-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A few guys are having problems but most of those seem to be caused by inadequate power supplies, faulty construction, etc. The kind of stuff you read about all motherboards. I haven't seen any reoccuring problems with the board that would indicate a design/construction/BIOS flaw, so I recommend it.

Back to you Tom...

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
true, i am one having problems, but it is NOT the motherboard. i didn't think at all the i wouldn't have enough power going through this thing, but someone pointed it out to me and gave me a link.

G

I've got an K7S5A and am using a 400watt power supply... absolutely zero problems with it to date and the machine has been running 24x7 for about 1-1/2 to 2 months now.

TRENDING THREADS