Windows 7 Beta + McAfee = Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I don't think McAfee is a good solution for any computer in the market. Avast is light and does a great job, and works on Windows 7 without hiccups.

Apart from McAfee, I can't seem to be able to install ANY Nokia programs (PC Suite and the Nokia Software Updater) due to the same problem with the invalid windows version.

Programs such as BSPlayer do have issues but can be worked out.
Most of the time I can set up the compatibility mode but programs that don't recognize Windows 7 as being the correct version gives out some errors (0xc0000005 is the most common error) when set to run on compatibility mode.

igimax

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Hi :)

I don't think McAfee is a good solution too! But in my tests Avira Antivir is more powerful than others products. I'm thinking, If you guys give it a chance and test it! maybe you love it like me! ;)

It's Free and you can download it from here: http://www.free-av.com/

Good Luck
IgImAx
:-b =;

G

Windows 7 Beta 1 Build 7000 + McAfee 8.7i Entreprise work like charm. Updates are OK too.

G

I do tech support for about 4000 students, all of whom have symantec or McAfee. When they come in completely infected w/ viruses, the first thing we do is kill them in msconfig, then use a combo of (avast, spybot, ccleaner, nod32 online, bitdefender online) to fix the problem. Then, when everything is cleaned up we go and turn their crappo software back on : /

T-Bone

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Been using McAfee for years & never had a problem. McAfee is light compared with Norton's which I think really sucks. Avira is also good but not as robust as McAfee especially when it comes to spyware/malware & email etc.

T-Bone

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Been using McAfee for years & never had a problem. McAfee is light compared with Norton's which I think really sucks. Avira is also good but not as robust as McAfee when it comes to spyware/malware & email etc.

G

if McAfee's installer (written by McAfee's developers) says it won't run on 7, that's most likely because the installer is checking the windows version number against the version number the installer is designed to run on, and erroring out because they don't match.

My gut reaction is that this has nothing to do with how well 7 works or how well McAfee works, and everything to do with the fact that it's an XP/Vista installer that is refusing to run an on unexpected version of windows.

C'mon tomshardware....

Ares_

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
It is better than McAfee's support of Vista. When i installed my version of McAfee on Vista RTM the day after it was released (Mcafee 2007 in January 2007?), the computer refused to boot and i had to uninstall Mcafee in safe mode.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
So, because some program's installer does not recognize Windows 7 as an OS it can install to, its somehow Microsoft's fault.... That's a stretch if I've ever heard one.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I have to agree totally with Fulle. This is not Microsoft's fault: this is McAfee's fault, but then again.... when Vista came out I needed to download a new, fixed version of NIS2008 for it!
So, I'm not really all that flussed when "very operating system specific" programs like security and disc imaging programs like Daemon Tools don't work with Windows 7.
I'm having a problem with NIS2009 where the 'active protection' will not work.... do I blame Microsoft or Symantec, since I am running Windows 7 on that system? Heck no... I see it as a learning experience and have informed Symantec of this problem, hoping that they will fix it.

G

If we can go back about 3 years to when Vista was in beta...

No antivirus programs released at the time worked on it, all the way up to the final release candidate. By then many vendors including McAfee & Symantec had a Vista specific version of their security products working.

Fast forward to today. I'm not suprised at all that McAfee doesn't work even if the installer gives a "This version of the OS is not supported" error message. IE8 is still a mess (compare it to FireFox 3) and McAfee has a very big dependency on IE working properly. To be fair IE8 is the *absolute worst* aspect of Windows 7 - every other feature, in contrast, works amazingly well. Symantec Endpoint Protection (corporate version of Norton) v11 MR2/3/4 do not work either. There have been numerous UI (code) changes that would render SEP useless anyway.

In the coming months beta security products will be available. This is, after all a BETA and not meant for production use.

G

Ive got mcafee working with windows 7 beta 7022, if you keep skipping the compatibility messages when installing then it works.. when i did this on the 7000 build it didnt work so some problems have been resolved.

Sandra_95

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Clear your computer of all the same bugs.
When you are searching for antispyware there is one that you can always depend on, it’s called Search-and-destroy Antispyware. The antispyware solution from Search-and-destroy can provide you with a scan that can find and clear your computer of all the same bugs that the more expensive scans can a much lower price. You can’t beat that, keep your computer running great for less. Visit their site at http://www.Search-and-destroy.com to download this scan and get all the benefits it has to offer. If you’re like me, it will be the best decision you made in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.