Sign in with
Your question

About pagefile/virtual memory

Last response: in Windows 7
February 4, 2013 5:54:47 AM

Hey guys I've got questions about Windows 7 virtual memory, hope you guys can help me out :)  If my edition matters, I'm using Ultimate edition 64 bit.

From the official Ms website, they said that on default a pagefile of 300mb+ your ram are made into pagefile and a max of the ram x3 is available if needed.

My questions are:
1) why is my dxdiag showing 18661MB available instead of 16384+300 which is 16684

2) Why is it when I'm at the section to edit virtual memory it says currently allocated 5632mb?? Is this 5.6gb the size of HDD needed in order to convert them to virtual memory??

3) If I wanna allocate my own(custom), what should I put for initial size and maximum size, and tell me how do you guys get the numbers, and what does initial size do??

thanks a lot!
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2013 6:41:20 AM

You don't need to worry about the page file at all if you have 16GB of ram. It will never be used. Most of your ram probably won't be either.

Quite frankly I'd just turn it off. Some people will complain and say some programs expect one and it will cause problems, but it doesn't. If you're running specialized software that'd badly designed enough to rely on the page file you'd know it.
m
l
February 4, 2013 6:44:28 AM

unksol said:
You don't need to worry about the page file at all if you have 16GB of ram. It will never be used. Most of your ram probably won't be either.

Quite frankly I'd just turn it off. Some people will complain and say some programs expect one and it will cause problems, but it doesn't. If you're running specialized software that'd badly designed enough to rely on the page file you'd know it.

i know about that, i just wanna learn more and know why are these happening
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2013 7:21:19 AM

DO NOT TURN IT OFF

ffs people have no clue on its purpose or cause/effect

the one rule with pages files: DO NOT TOUCH

windows is quite capable of memory mangement, no need to interfere

i have 16gb i still go past that, i still need a page file
m
l
February 4, 2013 7:22:59 AM

yo guys please answer my questions , not talking about turning off or on
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2013 8:08:54 AM

1)How much GDDR memory is on your GPU, 2GB I take it, DXDIAG shows 18GB as you haev 16GB System Memory and probably 2GB GPU memory.

2) Windows manages Virtual memory by default, it has allocated 5GB at the moment on the HDD for virtual memory

3) Initial size = minimum size of virtual memory, maximum = Largest size of Virtual memory with 16GB ram installed, i would set Initial to 1024 and Max to 4096.

Virtual memory is space allocated on your HDD or SSD as a pagefile that is used to transfer data from your Physical Memory to a Virtual memory store. In the good old days it was used all the time as Systems did not have huge chunks of memory such as yours as 16GB and the system would cash once the memory was all used up by open applications, it needed a swap file for this virtual transfer of processes from physical to virtual.

You can in all reality turn off virtual memory with 16Gb installed, but at some point your PC will crash if you use more than 16GB memory (Which happens to me in Photoshop all the time lol with 24MP raw files from my A77) or if a program needs to specifically use the page file in its operating, so I would never ever turn it off to be fair.
m
l
February 4, 2013 8:12:35 AM

Anonymous said:
1)How much GDDR memory is on your GPU, 2GB I take it, DXDIAG shows 18GB as you haev 16GB System Memory and probably 2GB GPU memory.

2) Windows manages Virtual memory by default, it has allocated 5GB at the moment on the HDD for virtual memory

3) Initial size = minimum size of virtual memory, maximum = Largest size of Virtual memory with 16GB ram installed, i would set Initial to 1024 and Max to 4096.

Virtual memory is space allocated on your HDD or SSD as a pagefile that is used to transfer data from your Physical Memory to a Virtual memory store. In the good old days it was used all the time as Systems did not have huge chunks of memory such as yours as 16GB and the system would cash once the memory was all used up by open applications, it needed a swap file for this virtual transfer of processes from physical to virtual.

You can in all reality turn off virtual memory with 16Gb installed, but at some point your PC will crash if you use more than 16GB memory (Which happens to me in Photoshop all the time lol with 24MP raw files from my A77) or if a program needs to specifically use the page file in its operating, so I would never ever turn it off to be fair.

thanks for the answers, so for the initial and maximum ,are they the amount of size taken from HDD for VM??
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2013 8:25:13 AM

apache_lives said:
DO NOT TURN IT OFF

ffs people have no clue on its purpose or cause/effect

the one rule with pages files: DO NOT TOUCH

windows is quite capable of memory mangement, no need to interfere

i have 16gb i still go past that, i still need a page file

Yes we do know what its for. No, you DON'T use more than 16GB of memory unless you are using high end, specialized, expensive software and are therefore not a typical user who would never come near 8. And yes I am well aware of the cause/effect, which is none. If you don't know what you're doing of course leave it on, but its not some grand mystery with horrible side effects and its almost completely irrelevant.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2013 8:42:36 AM

thanks for the answers, so for the initial and maximum ,are they the amount of size taken from HDD for VM??

Yes, this will be the min and max size of the pagefile on the HDD used for Virtual memory.
m
l
February 4, 2013 8:49:50 AM

Never turn Pagefile off (you can set it small but never turn it off)
for those who think they have plenty of ram and never need a pagefile you will sooner or later
Some programs have their own pagefile memory read/write calls, these apps (as few as they are) will crash or refuse to start with "out of memory errors"

And before someone stats that there is no such thing or it cannot happen. I say just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it won't happen
m
l
!