Sign in with
Your question

Thermal Diode

Last response: in CPUs
October 10, 2001 1:33:27 PM

Toms did a review of how the P3, P4 and atlon do when they loose their heatsink. I want to know how the athlon xp fares. I assume it just shuts off like the p3. Anyone know for sure?

More about : thermal diode

October 10, 2001 2:29:24 PM

Being AMD I assume it would burn up. It has the palamino core. I doubt they've added any thermal protection other than using fiberglass instead of ceramic.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
October 10, 2001 2:45:22 PM

What are you talking about, they put the diode in there for a reason it obviously doesnt do nothing! Im wondering if the cpu will shut itself down or if the mobo has to do it.
Related resources
October 10, 2001 2:54:24 PM

The motherboard will have to. The palamino had that diode as well. If the hsf comes off the temp will rise to quick.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
October 10, 2001 3:12:27 PM

it's possibly an issue that the mobos don't support the internal diode yet. Apparently it was a long time before they did after Intel introduced it.

the mobos may well still trying to monitor temperature via the socket sencor, not the chip diode (note: speculation) in which case they will never respond fast enough to catastrophic heat gain, but to slower gains (fan failure/water pump failure) they should be fine.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
October 10, 2001 3:16:24 PM

Quote:
the mobos may well still trying to monitor temperature via the socket sencor, not the chip diode (note: speculation) in which case they will never respond fast enough to catastrophic heat gain, but to slower gains (fan failure/water pump failure) they should be fine.

This is also my understanding. I haven't heard AMD announcing any new thermal protection. I'm sure that since that is on everyones mind it would be brought to light quickly.

October 10, 2001 3:25:37 PM

but I believe they are present (thermal diode) but un-used by the mobos at present....

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
October 10, 2001 4:29:07 PM

yes I suppose it is there, and the motherboard is supposed to use it to monitor the core temperature. the BIOS should have had some settings to set thresholds.

Its just a facility, and and important one going unused by motherboard makers.

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2001 4:34:31 PM

The Intel thermal diode does not need motherboard support for the overheat shut off feature. It simply stops the processor when it overheats. The motherboard Tom tested the MP on did use AMD's thermal diode, but that one relies on the motherboard to shut down the system, and that system could not react quickly enough. It should work fine for fan failure as it takes much longer to overheat in that situation.

Back to you Tom...
October 10, 2001 4:38:36 PM

I guess what I was trying to get across is that the XP will not act like the PIII, it will act more like the MP. It will survive a fan failure but not a Heatsink falling off. It can shut off in time with a slow temp rise but not with sudden increase.

a b à CPUs
October 10, 2001 4:53:29 PM

YES! I agree with you completely on that!

Back to you Tom...
October 10, 2001 5:07:20 PM

the new *MD cpu w/palomino core has an half-a$$ed thermal protection implementation that requires a new mainboard to take advantage of this feature, if hsf falls off completely it will be too slow to react! but you shouldn't worry, you got Quantispeed™.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
October 10, 2001 5:18:07 PM

True,

We must all be careful not to get hit by falling HSF units. One report has them falling by the thousands over Afghanistan. Coalition forces are holding open PC cases and shaking them until the HSF disconnects and falls on unsuspecting terrorists as an explosive device. This is the latest offensive technology.....

Should your HSF unit inexplicably fall off, report this dangerous situation to 1-800-AMDMELTDOWN.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
October 10, 2001 6:09:30 PM

I've never been worried by the thermal issues before, and I'm not going to start now. Your a troll. Get lost unless you want to offer something useful.

October 10, 2001 6:24:14 PM

Taken from hardocp.com:

<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/cpus/amd/1533xp/index2.h..." target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/cpus/amd/1533xp/index2.h...;/A>

This reduction in power should yield a reduction in temperature as we found HERE on the AthlonMP, which is also based on the Palomino core. One thing that has been worth looking forward to is the addition of a thermal diode inside the core of the AXP CPU. This will for allow you to read the core temperature when the right hardware and software are present. <b>You might have seen a famous hardware site make the statement on a video recently that even while their Palomino has a thermal diode in place, it burned up anyway when they removed the heatsink. Well, this was no fault of the AMD CPU, just the fault of the misinformed operator. You must have a board that has the ability to utilize the diode and also have the proper BIOS to facilitate a system shutdown in a high core temperature situation.</b> Of course, making it work cooler now allows us to speed it up and make it work hotter later!

The microarchitecture of the current AMD Athlon processor family is well designed for frequency scalability, and is not manipulated on the new AMD Athlon processor simply to generate further scalability at the expense of IPC and performance. The overall re-design is largely aimed at reducing maximum thermal power requirements, and targeting frequency gains when coupled with AMD?s advanced processing technology. With an industry-leading processor architecture, low-power design, and frequency scalability, the new AMD Athlon processor is designed to continue to be the highest-performing x86 processor.

<b>We still have yet to see this internal diode work, but we are very eager to put it into action on our next HSF Roundup. </b>

:mad:  :mad: 
October 10, 2001 8:57:51 PM

Note that Tom _did_ make use of a motherboard that supported this diode. Indeed, the motherboard that was used was made especially for the Palomino core and was built with thermal protection in mind.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
October 11, 2001 6:12:20 AM

I was beginning to think that I was the only one who read Tom's article instead of only watching the video clip.

<font color=red>It is the weakest link. They are not ready yet many have tried and failed with it.</font color=red>
October 11, 2001 4:59:31 PM

I did both. I actually wasn't even planning on watching the video, until a friend of mine commented on how cool it was. Then I had to watch it :) 

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
!