Sign in with
Your question

AMD SERVERS CRASH!!!

Last response: in CPUs
October 10, 2001 5:14:30 PM

LOL! *MD can not take the bandwidth, can't handle the load! their mp's are saturated beyond belief! <i>it's all about the bandwidth!</i> *MD is impotent in this area.

<A HREF="http://www.amd.com" target="_new">*MD's pipes are small</A>

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

More about : amd servers crash

October 10, 2001 5:23:59 PM

Interesting publicity stunt to guide users to the Athlon XP page.

But seriously, how can the processor itself be at fault for an overloaded server? Was Intel at fault when AOL couldn't handle it's 20,000,000 customers with only 250,000 incoming lines?

Think before you post junk......

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
October 10, 2001 5:36:43 PM

How do you know it wasn't some hard drives that crashed, or RAM that went bad? Intel's site has been down before, but nobody ran and started bashing them.

That picture isn't too bad though

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
Related resources
October 10, 2001 6:07:29 PM

I don't think there is an overload. I think they did that just to show off the XP.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
October 11, 2001 1:26:30 AM

You are a dumbass. Think about it. A webpage is designed to only handle a certain amount of hits every minute/second whatever, and all of a sudden the number of hits is WAY past the limit. Now, does it really matter what kind of [-peep-] processor their using? ROFL! NO!! What do you think, if it was using Intel CPU's somehow the problem would automatically fix itself?

Think before you post, moron.

<font color=red>umtqyvutkhgjvqffpcvpgrgtfocpgnnchvtcwqjvgepgjyoqthgtqhgtgjvtgdogogt....74pqkvcngxgt</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2001 1:38:57 AM

I have been around this board for about 6 months now and you are still spouting crap, the same crap. Do you think anyone takes you seriously. Even a mouse will learn not to repeat an action when it doesn't ilisit the desired responce. You are less mentaly developed than a lab mouse.
Yes chicken little no one takes you seriously anymore, if they ever did.
Anim88tor
October 11, 2001 1:58:38 AM

You idiot. Sites are only designed to handle x amount of people. When 10x people come, no [-peep-] it's gonna crash. You are a really big idiot.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!
October 11, 2001 2:03:13 AM

*MD? I can tell you don't like the "Advanced" in AMD. :lol:  You make it sound like an insult. Anyway, net bandwidth has very very little to do with processor bandwidth.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
October 11, 2001 2:26:18 AM

I have yet to bash any of the trolls but that was just plain dumb. Dont trolls think a little before posting.
October 11, 2001 2:50:54 AM

Trolls can't think, they have an Intel Inside:) 

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!
October 11, 2001 3:08:32 AM

i really worry about mr melty sometime...
poor guy.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
October 11, 2001 2:29:56 PM

LOL! ole melty was right! AMD has <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/11100106.htm" target="_new">switched</A> to solaris 8 on the Sun platform because their Athlons servers(that's a joke right?) could not handle the load *choke*. the entire IT dept should be fired!

October 11, 2001 2:32:53 PM

And go to work where? McDonalds like you.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:
October 11, 2001 4:04:56 PM

Quote:
According to SI, AMD started to use Solaris fairly recently and pulled in more resources yesterday morning following repeated pressure on the Web site.

They were ALREADY using Sun servers. Go back to using your Carvin sound sistem with NetBurst™ technology to listen to the sound tracks on your pr0n. Speaking of which...

Quote:
We think that it might be people interested in the lady wearing the multicoloured jacket which caused pressure on the AMD site. µ

w00t! me :) 

October 11, 2001 5:35:39 PM

"You are a dumbass. Think about it. A webpage is designed to only handle a certain amount of hits every minute/second whatever, and all of a sudden the number of hits is WAY past the limit." - Pfft. What a joke

We build bandwidth engines, no excuses for that mistake that could have been prevented.
October 11, 2001 5:48:24 PM

Sure it could have but did they know that many people would show up?

Think befor you post loser.

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.
October 11, 2001 6:08:34 PM

Maybe, someday, when you personally know what it is to be slashdotted, you can speak of such things. :wink:

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."
October 11, 2001 6:27:24 PM

LMAO!!!

AMD blows goats as a web server, in 1998 we could process 630millions reqs per day or over 7k req's per second on a origin server. Even the basic Challange server was capable of 100million req's per day.

http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/1998/april/p...

Today, were far beyond that...

http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/2001/october...

I get http errors clicking on amd help button alot. kinda stupid server/software they are running.

100 concurrent mpeg-2 streams without flinching.

Kinda funny that you guys argue something you know nothing about, like matisaro does.

BTW matisaro, clean up on ilse 5 needs your attention asap.
October 11, 2001 6:44:26 PM

>They were ALREADY using Sun servers

for how long? a week, two weeks, 3? why are they using Sun servers? don't they have any amount of the best AthlonMP servers at their disposal? wat up wit dat?

what about Quantispeed does it make the net go faster like the claims about the <A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/..." target="_new">k6</A>

if you buy an AthlonXP will you pick up a groovy chick from the 70's? wuz up?

October 11, 2001 7:08:48 PM

If you want to make that sort of comparison, then really, x86 CPU's in general blow goats as a webserver. It won't make a lot of difference whether you choose Intel or AMD. :tongue:

ROFL I almost forgot--since you think the merits of a CPU are based solely on how well its manufacturer's web server stays up:

<A HREF="http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?mode_u=off&mode_w=..." target="_new">Intel Corporation's Uptime</A>: Max 18.22 days, Average 16.89 days
<A HREF="http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?mode_u=off&mode_w=..." target="_new">AMD's Uptime</A>: Max 102.79 days, Average 62.85 days

This using the 90-day moving average.

Kelledin

October 11, 2001 7:23:11 PM

ROFL
I can't believe you continue to argue about something you know nothing about.

Let's look at Intel's marketing:

"Not since 1969, when we released the first commercial microprocessor, has there been a development at Intel as significant as this. The Intel® Pentium® 4 processor has just become the first microprocessor in history to reach the 2 GHz milestone.
<A HREF="http://www.intel.com/home/pentium4/index.htm" target="_new">Source</A>"

2GHz is more significant than 1GHz? Hmm...

"At Home:
See how the power of the Pentium® 4 processor plus broadband connectivity equals business productivity.
<A HREF="http://www.intel.com/home/pentium4/p4p_main.htm" target="_new">Source</A>"

Wow, way to go.

"At the heart of a new generation of Extended PCs, Intel has designed a processor specifically for the demands of an Internet-connected, multimedia age.
<A HREF="http://www.intel.com/eBusiness/products/desktop/p4p/ar0..." target="_new">Source</A>"

Wow, this processor makes my Internet faster! And I bet it's a different and better internet than AMD users have!

"Company morale is better."

That's right, simply by buying a Pentium 4, company morale will shoot through the roof!

"Common office tools can run up to 190 percent faster1,2 on Pentium 4 processor-based PCs"
And the footnote:
"SYSmark* 2001 1.8GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor vs. 500 MHz Intel® Pentium® III processor Source: Intel. Configuration: Pentium III processor at 500 MHz Intel® Desktop Board SE440BX-2, 128MB PC100 CL2 SDRAM, Diamond* Viper* 550 / nVidia* TNT 2x AGP w/ 16 MB Memory, IBM* DTTA-301010 10GB ATA-33 hard drive, nVidia reference driver 6.31 graphics driver, 100 Mbps LAN, DMA on, Intel® chipset INF file N/A, Pentium 4 processor at 1.80 GHz - Intel® Desktop Board D850GB, 128MB PC800 RDRAM* -45; 256MB for SPEC, Creative* Annihilator* 2 w/ nVidia GeForce*2 GTS, IBM 30GB ATA-100 DTLA-307030 hard drive, nVidia Detonator* 3 v4.12.01.0631 graphics driver, DirectX* 8.0, Windows* 2000, Intel® Ultra ATA Storage Driver v6.03.008, Intel® chipset INF file v2.60.01, Intel C & Fortran compilers 5.0 for SPEC."

And people complain about Tom's benchmarks? :) 

Now let's look at AMD:

First, they have a chick on the front page. Bad picture, but it's better than Intel's got :) 

"Microsoft optimized the DirectX 8.0 interface for Windows XP specifically for the AMD Athlon XP processor."

Right, because Microsoft doesn't play well with Intel. Whatever.

"Q: How does the 1.4GHz AMD Athlon™ processor perform compared to the Intel Pentium™ 4 processor (Willamette)?
A: The 1.4GHz AMD Athlon™ processor and DDR memory-based platforms outperform any Pentium 4 processor-based platform available today, delivering up to 40% more application performance than 1.7GHz Pentium 4 processor-based platforms."

I think that's about dumber than any single thing on Intel's site. Well, I guess the P4 2.0 vs P3 500 is pretty close.

"Q: Does the AMD Athlon™ processor use Socket A infrastructure?
A: Yes."

Duh

There you have it! Both companies are stupid. If you all want, I can compaire Cyrix?

EDIT:
Oops, forgot to give links to AMD's stuff, but that shouldn't be a big deal. I think Meltdown is the only one that'll try to say I made stuff up.

9/11 - RIP</font color=green><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 10/11/01 12:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 11, 2001 8:41:18 PM

Alright let me put it in a simpler way for your privitive brain.

A Chevette is just chugging along, all of a sudden it has to pull a 10 ton load. Whats going to happen?

<font color=red>umtqyvutkhgjvqffpcvpgrgtfocpgnnchvtcwqjvgepgjyoqthgtqhgtgjvtgdogogt....74pqkvcngxgt</font color=red>
October 11, 2001 9:11:17 PM

Wait, I know this one! They stop, find a huge semi, and transfer the load.
Then lots of little boys on internet forums complain about how the load stopped moving?
Yeup, I'm good :) 

October 11, 2001 9:30:22 PM

Exactly. Now, it it the comany that manufactured the piston rings' fault?

October 11, 2001 9:42:29 PM

Yes!

October 11, 2001 9:45:28 PM

By the way, Meltdown...when CNN's website went down on the morning of September 11th, was that because of Intel's crappy processors?

October 11, 2001 10:26:41 PM

SOlaris is an OS, they switched ther servers os, I fail to see how amd chips failed from that article meltdown.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
October 11, 2001 11:08:59 PM

Nice analogy, AMD=Chevette
October 12, 2001 12:31:35 AM

Fair enough when comparing x86 CPUs to MIPS CPUs. Of course, that means the P4 gets soundly beaten by a Chevette. :wink:

Kelledin

October 12, 2001 3:04:50 AM

that's about as dumb as a guy in a video forum was complaining that his new g4 was slow as hell because his downloads weren't fast :frown: takes all kinds i guess.
October 12, 2001 4:06:42 AM

AMD THE KING OF PERFORMANCE

just accept it and move one....
October 12, 2001 4:08:59 AM

>>Nice analogy, AMD=Chevette<<

If AMD = CHevette then the SLOW HOLLOW HERTZ P4 = a rusty Tricycle with one wheel
October 12, 2001 5:09:33 PM

Wouldn't that make it a unicycle?

October 12, 2001 6:36:40 PM

Wouldn't that make it a unicycle?<<<<

Well if u wanna call the p4 a unicycle and a palamino a chevette

thats fair
October 12, 2001 7:21:48 PM

Well, a tricycle with one wheel would be (technically) a unicycle.

October 12, 2001 8:13:00 PM

I didn't say that dumbass. LOL get glasses buddy.

!